The Student Room Group

Cambridge or Durham?

Hey,

So I'm in a bit of a predicament - one for which I'm incredibly grateful, sure, but a predicament all the same.

Basically, after having received all of my offers, I'm torn between Durham and Cambridge, and can't put them as my first and insurance because they made me the same offer (A*AA)

I feel I can't possibly turn Cambridge down, and that if I get a good degree there I'll be set for life. At the same time my therapist thinks I won't be able to cope - and bearing in mind that I've really lost my once unstoppable work ethic this year I don't even think I could cope - I don't think I'll be happy there, what with all the pressure and the work load, but I want to go because ITS CAMBRIDGE and I'd be crazy not to at least give it a shot - so many people would kill to be in my shoes.

At the same time, I love Durham - the city is stunning and I can see myself being happier there. But it would be entirely pointless to put it as an insurance. I wish I could just put them both down and choose later XD haha

Whichever one I pick, I would have to put York as my insurance; my 'work slump' this year makes me wonder if I can even get the A*AA I need (although I did get 3As last year and 10A*s at GCSE so everyone thinks I'll be fine... :s-smilie:). I don't know how I would cope with messing up and possibly having to take a year out (My relationship with my family isn't great - I wouldn't want to stay at home and I hate being out of a routine)

I feel like I'm going to put Cambridge down as my first, I would regret it too much if I didn't. But I can't help wondering if I'm making a mistake.. and if it would be worth putting Durham down as an insurance.. even though it's entirely pointless (English is too competitive for them to make me an offer if I fail to get the grades..)

Ughhh
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm not sure that Durham would be much less stressful than Cambridge, and Durham rarely accept those who have put them first if they miss their grades, never mind an insurance. Think it would be best to disregard the idea of Durham as an insurance.

University will be stressful no matter what. Granted Cambridge is a lot of stress, but Durham isn't going to be much better. So if its stress you're worried about you might as well just firm Cambridge.

Sorry I cannot be much help (I completely understand the situation you're in), I just wanted to be frank.
If Cambridge have given you an offer, that means they think you will be able to cope with their course's workload (which probably won't be too different from Durham's. What was your UMS like last year? If you got more than 90% at AS, you will only need B's this year to get A's overall. I don't feel like it would be worth putting Durham down as your insurance, since there is no plausible situation where you would end up going to them.
Original post by sweeneyrod
What was your UMS like last year? If you got more than 90% at AS, you will only need B's this year to get A's overall.

Really? That would be awesome! I got full UMS in English and History and I think about 80 or 90 in RS.. Plus I had coursework this year in English and History that counted for 40% of A2 which could possibly lower the grade I need further?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Gym&Tonic
Really? That would be awesome! I got full UMS in English and History and I think about 80 or 90 in RS.. Plus I had coursework this year in English and History that counted for 40% of A2 which could possibly lower the grade I need further?

Thank you :smile:

If you did coursework for A2 last year, that would indeed lower what you require this year. I think all those subjects are out of 200 UMS for the whole A-level, and you need 160 for an A (and additionally 90 at A2 for an A*). So if you have 100 UMS in AS English and 40/40 UMS for A2 coursework, you would only need 20/60 (probably a C) in the A2 exams for an A.
I would say firm cambridge because my cousin went there, she nearly dropped out because she thought it was all getting too much but their pastoral team there was amazing, they help you so much because everyone will be in your shoes. loads of people will be scared of not meeting the workload but there will be so much help there for you!
Original post by minjinoor
I would say firm cambridge because my cousin went there, she nearly dropped out because she thought it was all getting too much but their pastoral team there was amazing, they help you so much because everyone will be in your shoes. loads of people will be scared of not meeting the workload but there will be so much help there for you!

That's really good to know, thank you! :smile:
If you did coursework for A2 last year, that would indeed lower what you require this year. I think all those subjects are out of 200 UMS for the whole A-level, and you need 160 for an A (and additionally 90 at A2 for an A*). So if you have 100 UMS in AS English and 40/40 UMS for A2 coursework, you would only need 20/60 (probably a C) in the A2 exams for an A.

That definitely makes me feel better about getting the grades! Thank you!
That's really good to know, thank you! :smile:

No problem, and think about it - even if you firm it, go there and for some reason it doesn't work out, I'm sure Durham will be more than happy to have you as a transfer - especially from Cambridge!
I would say, pay attention to your gut. Do you really think you'd be happier at Durham? If you have real reasons to think so, then perhaps that will be better. That being said, if you got an offer, they certainly think you would fit in.

I only know the experience of my daughter at Cam - it is extremely stressful and demanding, but the rewards (intellectual and social) are uniquely great. We are astonished at how much she has grown.

But it isn't for everyone. When my daughter started at Cam, there was a young lady in physics and she dropped out quickly and went the Manchester to study English. That was right for her. Trust your feelings, but test them.
Original post by jneill
Are you sure that's right. I thought you needed 90% average across the A2 modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's for an A*.
Reply 11
Original post by WhisperingTide
That's for an A*.

Ah yes I misread the post - I thought they were aiming for A* :smile:

I'll delete my comment! Doh.
So I've been hunting desperately for loopholes and apparently if I were to put Durham as my insurance and decided in summer that I wanted to go there instead of Cambridge I could contact the universities, grovel, and possibly be allowed to pull out and be picked up by Durham through clearing.. Although it still seems a really pointless insurance - it's breaking my heart to reject Durham, and I don't think I'd even want to go to York if I got the grades.. But I know the right choice is probably to put York as my insurance and that I sort of have to go to Cambridge if I get the grades.. And.. Ugh. I must decide by 11:00 tonight!
So I've been hunting desperately for loopholes and apparently if I were to put Durham as my insurance and decided in summer that I wanted to go there instead of Cambridge I could contact the universities, grovel, and possibly be allowed to pull out and be picked up by Durham through clearing.. Although it still seems a really pointless insurance - it's breaking my heart to reject Durham, and I don't think I'd even want to go to York if I got the grades.. But I know the right choice is probably to put York as my insurance and that I sort of have to go to Cambridge if I get the grades.. And.. Ugh. I must decide by 11:00 tonight!

What would you think about taking a gap year and reapplying to Durham if you don't get into Cambridge?
Reply 14

Be aware that Durham has a reputation for not playing nicely if it is Insured and you miss their offer and it's unlikely to be in Clearing. (And, again, if it they are in Clearing they can be very slow to respond).

You don't have to go anywhere even if you meet the grades. If you Firm and achieve the Cambridge offer then you can still reject it and take a gap year.

No one forces you to do anything :smile:
What would you think about taking a gap year and reapplying to Durham if you don't get into Cambridge?

A gap year is probably the last thing I'd want to do (I really need to get away from home - my family are pretty crazy lol) and I'm worried that if I reject Durham this year they may not even make me an offer.. Plus at the minute I'm adamant that I'm going to go to Cambridge and give it a shot, which means sacrificing Durham for now.. if it all goes pear-shaped I guess I could spend a year at Cambridge (or just drop out) and then try to apply to Durham, but I don't know if rejecting them would affects that?

And I don't think I really want to go to York.. Lol. So I don't know if putting Durham as an insurance would allow me to keep my foot in the door with them
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Be aware that Durham has a reputation for not playing nicely if it is Insured and you miss their offer and it's unlikely to be in Clearing. (And, again, if it they are in Clearing they can be very slow to respond).

You don't have to go anywhere even if you meet the grades. If you Firm and achieve the Cambridge offer then you can still reject it and take a gap year.

No one forces you to do anything :smile:

I feel like putting Durham as my insurance would be entirely pointless, were it not for the tiny possibility that it might allow me to change my mind about Cambridge; but more importantly I'm worried rejecting them will effect any decision I might make to reapply there or attempt to transfer (I don't know much about the whole reapplying thing).. But then I don't know if it's as pointless as York, which I probably wouldn't even want to go to??

I really don't know what to do!
Reply 17
I feel like putting Durham as my insurance would be entirely pointless, were it not for the tiny possibility that it might allow me to change my mind about Cambridge; but more importantly I'm worried rejecting them will effect any decision I might make to reapply there or attempt to transfer (I don't know much about the whole reapplying thing).. But then I don't know if it's as pointless as York, which I probably wouldn't even want to go to??

I really don't know what to do!

If you do choose to reapply next cycle, Durham won't care that you rejected them this cycle. Don't worry.
Well, it's done! Cambridge is my firm and York my insurance!

I've spent five hours mulling it over and have come to my decision (huzzah)

If Cambridge is too much I'll bail and try again next year, if I don't make the grade I'll reassess my choices and possibly take a gap year.

Thank you for all of your help! :cute::crossedf:
Reply 19
Well, it's done! Cambridge is my firm and York my insurance!

I've spent five hours mulling it over and have come to my decision (huzzah)

If Cambridge is too much I'll bail and try again next year, if I don't make the grade I'll reassess my choices and possibly take a gap year.

Thank you for all of your help! :cute::crossedf:

Good luck on Results Day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply