The Student Room Group

Anyone getting beyond tired of hearing about Kate and Gerry McCann

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Last_Melon
You know nothing John Snow.

I think you're not seeing the big picture here. Two (probably overworked) Doctors go abroad for some peace and quiet and decide to leave their kid in the apartment for a bit so they can have some calm. You think that little slip is deserving of persecution? Do you think that doesn't happen in 99% of households?

My parents would never ever have left us alone, at home or abroad. They're doctors, they could've afforded a babysitter or something. There is no excuse for it. If they wanted calm away from their children they should've gone on a trip without the children and left them with grandparents or something, not alone in a hotel room.
Original post by infairverona
Yeah, that person shouldn't have taken the child but if the parents hadn't left her alone then he/she wouldn't have been able to. It's still their fault. Anyone with half a brain knows you don't take that kind of risk with your child, especially not in another country

Yeh...the person shouldn't have kidnapped and murdered the child but let's blame the parents anyway. Obviously, "that kind of risk" is close to zero but who cares about perspective.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Yeh...the person shouldn't have kidnapped and murdered the child but let's blame the parents anyway. Obviously, "that kind of risk" is close to zero but who cares about perspective.

If the parents hadn't left the child alone someone wouldn't have kidnapped her. It IS mostly their fault. it's like would you leave your front door unlocked then complain if someone walks in and takes everything? Yeah, someone shouldn't do it, but you can't take risks on the basis of hoping someone won't take advantage. That risk is not close to zero, what are you on? Children are kidnapped, raped and murdered every day. Her parents are not fit to be parents if they think it's acceptable to leave a young child in a room on her own while they go off for dinner. If they wanted alone time they should've booked a babysitter or gone on a trip by themselves and left their children with grandparents. There's no excuse for what they did at all, I find it sickening that you think what they did is acceptable
If the parents hadn't left the child alone someone wouldn't have kidnapped her. It IS mostly their fault.

So, they should be put in prison for life?

I am just using your logic, since it is mostly their fault.

it's like would you leave your front door unlocked then complain if someone walks in and takes everything? Yeah, someone shouldn't do it, but you can't take risks on the basis of hoping someone won't take advantage. That risk is not close to zero, what are you on? Children are kidnapped, raped and murdered every day. Her parents are not fit to be parents if they think it's acceptable to leave a young child in a room on her own while they go off for dinner. If they wanted alone time they should've booked a babysitter or gone on a trip by themselves and left their children with grandparents. There's no excuse for what they did at all, I find it sickening that you think what they did is acceptable

Actually, the risk of stranger abduction is close to zero or 0.000074%

Instead of using emotion, maybe you should stick to facts.

In the same sense, there is probably a close to zero chance that you did law. Well, maybe, defending murderers and robbers.
(edited 7 years ago)
So, they should be put in prison for life?

I am just using your logic, since it is mostly their fault.

Actually, the risk of stranger abduction is close to zero or 0.000074%

Instead of using emotion, maybe you should stick to facts.

In the same sense, there is probably a close to zero chance that you did law.

I didn't say anything about life in prison? I said they should be punished. Don't put words in my mouth.

Pretty hilarious of you to say that considering I graduated from law 2 years ago :smile: obviously you haven't though or you'd be familiar with the 'but for' test.
I didn't say anything about life in prison? I said they should be punished. Don't put words in my mouth.

Well, if it is mostly their fault, then they should have the same sentence as a criminal that kidnapped their child.

I am just using your logic which obviously makes no sense.

Pretty hilarious of you to say that considering I graduated from law 2 years ago :smile: obviously you haven't though or you'd be familiar with the 'but for' test.

Well, like I said before, you probably spent most of your time defending murderers and robbers since you spend your time victim blaming.

Guess what? If you leave your window open and a robber murders your entire family. It's mostly your fault!
Well, if it is mostly their fault, then they should have the same sentence as a criminal that kidnapped their child.

I am just using your logic which obviously makes no sense.

Well, like I said before, you probably spent most of your time defending murderers and robbers since you spend your time victim blaming.

Guess what? If you leave your window open and a robber murders your entire family. It's mostly your fault!

If you think a criminal who kidnaps a child gets a life sentence you're seriously naive. Take your trolling elsewhere.
If you think a criminal who kidnaps a child gets a life sentence you're seriously naive.

Wrong. Kidnap has a maximum life sentence.

http://www.thelawpages.com/court-cases/maximums.php

I am just repeating what you wrote. If the McCann's are mainly to blame then they should be in prison for as long as the charge of kidnap.

Take your trolling elsewhere.

I am not the one who wrote, that if you leave your door open, then you are mainly responsible for any crime that takes place.

It only sounds like Trolling because I am repeating your absurd statements.
(edited 7 years ago)
My parents would never ever have left us alone, at home or abroad. They're doctors, they could've afforded a babysitter or something. There is no excuse for it. If they wanted calm away from their children they should've gone on a trip without the children and left them with grandparents or something, not alone in a hotel room.

This.

Considering they left the children in a creche every day too, I don't know why they took the children on holiday at all.
Wrong. Kidnap has a maximum life sentence.

http://www.thelawpages.com/court-cases/maximums.php

I am just repeating what you wrote. If the McCann's are mainly to blame then they should be in prison for as long as the charge of kidnap.

Yeh. I clearly the one trolling. I am not the one who wrote, that if you leave your door open, then you are mainly responsible for any crime that takes place.

God you're hysterical. Stick to medicine.
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/child_abduction/

If you leave your door open and someone comes in and takes stuff you are considered at least partially responsible for taking the risk, which is why insurance companies won't pay out if you don't lock your door and you are then robbed. If the McCanns hadn't left Maddie alone, someone wouldn't have kidnapped her. They are at least partially responsible and shouldn't be putting their children at risk like that if they are fit to be parents, which in my view they are clearly not.

Already saw the manual thanks.

Doesn't change the fact that Kidnap has a maximum life sentence.

Add in murder in there as well.

If you leave your door open and someone comes i............ts, which in my view they are clearly not.

I understand your stupid argument. No need to repeat it.

If you leave your door open and a criminal rapes and murders your family, then you are mainly to blame.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by littlenorthernlass
This.

Considering they left the children in a creche every day too, I don't know why they took the children on holiday at all.

I know, they're ridiculous. They're the kind of people who have children just for the sake of having children and then palm them off on a nanny for their whole childhood.
Reply 72
Didn't they go out for a meal or something and leave their child unaccompanied?

I feel terrible for their daughter, but I have little to no sympathy for the parents and their stupidity.
Already saw the manual thanks.

Doesn't change the fact that Kidnap has a maximum life sentence.

Add in probable murder in there as well.

I understand your stupid argument. No need to repeat it.

If you leave your door open and a criminal rapes and murders your family, then you are mainly to blame.

Maximum isn't what everyone gets though is it? You have no idea what you're talking about.
This whole case stresses me out. Let's just say my opinion of these people isn't a pleasant one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it was a black baby, there would definately not be this level of media coverage. I hope they find her dead so the government can focus on other things that matter. Btw, the way her parents profited from her dissaparence is very clever. De
Maximum isn't what everyone gets though is it? You have no idea what you're talking about.

Where did I say everyone gets it? My guess is that you didn't know the maximum sentence. In this case, they would be charged with kidnap and maybe murder. So, life is a possibility.

In any case, I like how you are trying to divert the argument away from the stupidity of your original argument onto an irrelevant side note.

If you leave your door open and a criminal robs your house then you are mainly to blame....and you did Law. FML.
Where did I say everyone gets it? My guess is that you didn't know the maximum sentence. In this case, they would be charged with kidnap and maybe murder. So, life is a possibility.

In any case, I like how you are trying to divert the argument away from the stupidity of your original argument onto an irrelevant side note.

If you leave your door open and a criminal robs your house then you are mainly to blame....and you did Law. FML.

The maximum sentences are rarely used though. You didn't say murder, you said kidnap. If your argument is 'oh the maximum sentence is life so that's what they would get' then you are an idiot.

Do you leave your door open every day? If not, why not? I don't think it's ok that people will take advantage of an open door, but sadly that is the world we live in now. I think people need to take more responsibility. If you leave your door open and someone robs you you really can't say in good faith 'I had no idea that would happen'. Equally you can't leave your child alone in a room and claim 'I had no idea she would be kidnapped'. Both circumstances are foreseeable and that is a risk you chose to take knowing full well that these things happen every day. So yes, I do think you are mainly to blame if you take that risk. Leaving your door open is inviting criminals into your home and making it easy for them - why would anyone in their right mind do that? Leaving your child alone with no supervision is again simply making it an easy job for someone to kidnap or harm your child. If you think that's an acceptable risk to take then take it for your own safety or your own home, not your child's safety. It's not fair that they left her alone and she has now probably come to harm and they are fine. If you take the risk and the risk is foreseeable then you are responsible at least partially.

[e] Oh yeah - and I did law, I got high firsts in criminal law, international criminal law, and family law, and I'm now at one of the best London unis doing a law postgrad degree. U mad?
Original post by m_james
Didn't they go out for a meal or something and leave their child unaccompanied?

I feel terrible for their daughter, but I have little to no sympathy for the parents and their stupidity.

Apparently they went out to the Tapas restaurant with their friends every night...
The maximum sentences are rarely used though. You didn't say murder, you said kidnap. If your argument is 'oh the maximum sentence is life so that's what they would get' then you are an idiot.

Yeh, well that isn't my argument......so no...

Do you leave your door open every day? If not, why not? I don't think it's ok that people will take advantage of an open door, but sadly that is the world we live in now. I think people need to take more responsibility. If you leave your door open and someone robs you you really can't say in good faith 'I had no idea that would happen'. Equally you can't leave your child alone in a room and claim 'I had no idea she would be kidnapped'. Both circumstances are foreseeable and that is a risk you chose to take knowing full well that these things happen every day. So yes, I do think you are mainly to blame if you take that risk. Leaving your door open is inviting criminals into your home and making it easy for them - why would anyone in their right mind do that? Leaving your child alone with no supervision is again simply making it an easy job for someone to kidnap or harm your child. If you think that's an acceptable risk to take then take it for your own safety or your own home, not your child's safety. It's not fair that they left her alone and she has now probably come to harm and they are fine. If you take the risk and the risk is foreseeable then you are responsible at least partially.

Hahaha..." at least partially" is not "mostly your fault".

Don't worry. I don't expect anything differently from a lawyer except to try to weasel out of their predicament.

People leave their children in a room alone all the time. You don't know what you are talking about.

[e] Oh yeah - and I did law, I got high firsts in criminal law, international criminal law, and family law, and I'm now at one of the best London unis doing a law postgrad degree. U mad?

Nick Griffin also went to Cambridge and did History. I better start listening to him on Holocaust denial then.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending