The Student Room Group

Does anyone else feel like they can only learn by last-minute cramming?

Or is it just me??
It kind of feels like everything I'm learning now is a waste of time because I'm going to have to cram everything at the end anyway to make sure I can remember it all :/
It feels like GCSEs are just memory tests at the minute :redface:
YES, i'm like that too, no worries
Reply 2
I think it's more the fact it's harder to form long term memory than it is to form short term... Cramming is essentially shoving everything into short term, so you remember it better for say, a test the next day. You can get good grades on your GCSEs by cramming but theres no way you can pass the harder a-levels through pure cram :frown: last minute work should only be a "refresher" on everything you'd revised up till that point.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
How do i cram ? As i got a excellent short term memory. Do i read my revision guide over and over again.
Original post by Arima
I think it's more the fact it's harder to form long term memory than it is to form short term... Cramming is essentially shoving everything into short term, so you remember it better for say, a test the next day. You can get good grades on your GCSEs by cramming but theres no way you can pass the harder a-levels through pure cram :frown: last minute work should only be a "refresher" on everything you'd revised up till that point.

Spoiler

lol that's me this year:colondollar::colonhash:
Same! Although I'm not sure when to start cramming, I have 2 weeks before my first exam so I should probably start now. When will you start cramming?
If you recognise that you have a short term memory, take pride in having recognised what works for you because many people don't know how they best learn at university level.

There is no shame in working in a way that works for you. It is important to make your revision efficient and if appealing to your short term memory does it for you then fair play.

I am someone who works better with very concise notes to work from because that's what I feel most comfortable with.

Starting revision at Christmas and working to a strict timetable doesn't work for every person/subject and that's ok.
Reply 7
Original post by surina16
Or is it just me??
It kind of feels like everything I'm learning now is a waste of time because I'm going to have to cram everything at the end anyway to make sure I can remember it all :/

This is me for History
Idk why but it just works
Reply 8
Original post by waleed29
How do i cram ? As i got a excellent short term memory. Do i read my revision guide over and over again.

I'd suggest making flashcards - really effective to help memorise the dull bits you'd rather not reread constantly... i use them for my entire syllabus LOL..

Past papers too, to really nail down the exam technique - for some exam boards they don't strictly restrict their questions to the content in the textbook :colonhash: you'd be surprised how much you learn from the mark schemes...
(edited 7 years ago)
IKR i feel like i work best when i revise only(only only only) a week before a certain exam.
Yes that makes sense. I've revised hard for months but don't feel like I've progressed tbh, I know the night before I'll still be memorising the revision guides. Don't worry though, I'm sure all of the revising will pay off when you're sat in the exam and won't feel like a waste of time . :smile:
Original post by stressed turtle
Same! Although I'm not sure when to start cramming, I have 2 weeks before my first exam so I should probably start now. When will you start cramming?

Day before the exam? :biggrin: That's usually when cramming is at it's most effective, or even the morning before the exam. Although, it is quite hard to cram about 300 pages of a textbook into your head in a few hours.
Reply 12
defo.
ive been cramming all my life and even tho im predicted all a stars i havnt really been revising as i dont think itll benifit me that much. Hopefully ill have enough time to cram it all in and get the grades im predicted...
If its worked so fa why not in the real thing?
Reply 13
Original post by surina16
Or is it just me??

It's common
Same, i feel its best to learn it all the night before.
Especially Geography
I went all the way through uni making sure I learnt the basic concepts behind stuff, and then just crammed all the little facts and stats etc the day before.

At Cambridge now. It works as a system until you get to Masters. I'm now struggling :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest