The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ad4m
Yes, Question 3 contains 2 sections.
SECTION A - directed writing (25 marks). However it differs from paper 2 because you need to be more evaluative and focus more on the way you write (the passage is always more subjective than that for paper 2)
SECTION B - where you have to write a description or narrative based on a choice of 4 questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks that has cleared up things up for me! Anyway's I'll focus on paper 2 for now (since that's our first exam) lol XD
Original post by suryyyyynn
TIP FOR Q1
PLAN BEFOREHAND AND SET OUT 3 BULLET POINTS AND ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THE MARK SCHEME
WORKS FOR ME :smile: any advice on q2 as i tend to overwrite and q3 B as i dont know how to summarise and end up making it like a list!

what do you mean by replicate the mark scheme?
Original post by skillzaismine
Question one:
Possible writing styles:
- report - talking about past events
- journal - being reflective
- speech - use rhetorical devices consistently
- letter
- newspaper report
- magazine article - headline will be provided , use short quotations and over dramatise event (same applies for newspaper)
- interviews - use the questions provided, DO NOT ADD YOUR OWN QUESTIONS AND DO NOT GIVE THE INTERVIEWER ANY PERSONALITY

It's important to develop the style of the individual you are writing in the context in and evenly address all three bullet points. For A3 (where you have to infer) use ideas from the passage to develop your answer but DO NOT make things up.

Question two:
- write six words for each paragraph if you have enough time. You will not get penalised for this.
- if you chose a safe word, most likely you won't get credited for it
- always say the meaning of the word, if you write the effect only then you won't get higher marks (meaning makes up 6/10 of your marks along with the right words that you've picked)
- always say the effect of the word NOT the effect of the reader (e.g. Don't say "this makes the reader feel....)
- you can structure your answer like this: choice -> meaning -> effect

Question three:
- you cannot write more than 15 points below the lines provided
- if you have two points as a bullet point then you will only receive one mark
- if you have more than three as one bullet point you will receive zero
- make sure your points aren't too similar as this is where you could lose marks
- write in plain English, you're not writing as anyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

For question 1, on interviews - what do you mean by not giving the examiner any 'personality'? ^^
Original post by exoexo13
Do you have any tips for q1? And how much time we should spend for each one?

It is the basic reaally.. 5 points for each bullet (highlighting helps, friends do small plan before they start but I would run out of time) , develop your point but dont make anything up, keep the paragraphs equally and make sure to check for spag..

45min Q1
20min Q2
45min Q3

Start with Q3 and then do Q1 followed by Q2.
How many paragraphs do you have to write for question two? I always write 2 big ones but i'm not sure if i should break them up :s-smilie:
How are you supposed to attempt question 2 if you do not understand the meaning of a word or its effect
Original post by goldenusername
How many paragraphs do you have to write for question two? I always write 2 big ones but i'm not sure if i should break them up :s-smilie:

same I 2 do paragraphs

I dont think you have to but I do because it makes it easier for the examiner to understand and to know I've analysed 8 phrases/words altogether!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I dont think you have to but I do because it makes it easier for the examiner to understand and to know I've analysed 8 phrases/words altogether!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So in each of your four (i'm guessing you do four?) you include 2 quotes?
So in each of your four (i'm guessing you do four?) you include 2 quotes?

No I split each quote up. So I have one quote and write a small paragraph, then use another quote but start another paragraph and so on. So I have 8 small paragraphs altogether, not including the two overall effect paragraphs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I split each quote up. So I have one quote and write a small paragraph, then use another quote but start another paragraph and so on. So I have 8 small paragraphs altogether, not including the two overall effect paragraphs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, how many lines for each paragraph roughly?
Original post by coreHelp
It is the basic reaally.. 5 points for each bullet (highlighting helps, friends do small plan before they start but I would run out of time) , develop your point but dont make anything up, keep the paragraphs equally and make sure to check for spag..

45min Q1
20min Q2
45min Q3

Start with Q3 and then do Q1 followed by Q2.

Would 5 points for each point make it too short?
In question 3 would we have to do bullet points from passage a&b? Last year it was only from passage b. But in the previous ones you had to get bullet points from both passages and do a summary paragraph for each passage.
Original post by exoexo13
In question 3 would we have to do bullet points from passage a&b? Last year it was only from passage b. But in the previous ones you had to get bullet points from both passages and do a summary paragraph for each passage.

No, just passage B. The question will tell you what passage you have to read.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you start each paragraph? Just with a new quote??
For question 1 do we always have to develop our points
Original post by FaithKG
How do you start each paragraph? Just with a new quote??

Well you can but make it interesting. So instead of writing 'quote' or this word/phrase 'quote' you could write the use of simile in paragraph 6 .... And then change ur next starter just to not sound like a robot hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 337
Do any of you guys know what form question 1 might take, e.g report, diary, letter?
Original post by byaakun
For question 1, on interviews - what do you mean by not giving the examiner any 'personality'? ^^

When the examiner came in they said that if they ask you to write an interview they want you to use the three bullet points as the questions not as a guide. For example if the bullet point says "what were your thoughts and feelings like?" You ask that same question. Don't write "so how did you feel through the experience? I mean it must be pretty hard....etc"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you allowed to write q3b in first person?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it must be in an informative style. You should do this, you are able to etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest