The Student Room Group

Do you have to declare a failed uni year on ucas?

i had previously been to uni however failed my first year, i did not get a certificate og higher education or any sort of qualification from it. now i am reading conflicting information about whether i have to put this on my form or not?? nothing on the ucas form mentions you have to mention it, the education sections says you need to enter all qualifications and grades. but i dont have that from uni. and considering i didnt get any qualifications, i dont think i have to? can somone please confirm whether UCAS requires you to declare it if you didnt achieve any qualifications or results?? or link me somewhere where it confirms that i have to??

Scroll to see replies

You should tell them everything. If you don't then you take a risk.

This is the UCAS declaration, which you agree to.

How we verify the information you provide
If we, or a university or college, have any reason to believe that you or your referee have:

left out any relevant information, including qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results

given false or misleading information

we may take any necessary steps to check with you and other parties, including universities, colleges and examination and awarding bodies whether the information you have provided is accurate or complete.

We have the right to cancel your application without refunding your application fee if we determine (having carried out any necessary checks) or have reasonable belief that your application contains false information.

If you have any reason to believe that information we hold about you is not true, complete and accurate, you must tell us.

If we need to verify your identity, we may use details in your application by making checks using any official, publicly available or commercially available identity checking services. If any adverse information is revealed about you we will let you know so that you have an opportunity to respond.

https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-declaration
Original post by 999tigger
You should tell them everything. If you don't then you take a risk.

This is the UCAS declaration, which you agree to.

https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-declaration

i am not asking whether i can lie to UCAS and get away with it. i am asking whether, according to UCAS rules, i HAVE to declare my failed year at uni. because if i HAVE to, i will. what you have just copied and pasted doesnt imply that i have to declare my failed year.

'

left out any relevant information, including qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results

given false or misleading information '

- i did not complete the qualification, nor did i get a qualification with an unsuccessful grade - i dont have any sort of qualification or grade from it, period.
Original post by arcenciel21
i am not asking whether i can lie to UCAS and get away with it. i am asking whether, according to UCAS rules, i HAVE to declare my failed year at uni. because if i HAVE to, i will. what you have just copied and pasted doesnt imply that i have to declare my failed year.

'

given false or misleading information '

- i did not complete the qualification, nor did i get a qualification with an unsuccessful grade - i dont have any sort of qualification or grade from it, period.

Thats what UCAS says. Imo they require a complete record. If you say exams and got results. You say in your OP you failed your first year which indicates you did. Anyway if you dont think it applies or want confirmation then check with UCAS. I linked you to their page.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thats what UCAS says. Imo they require a complete record. If you say exams and got results. You say in your OP you failed your first year which indicates you did.

according to what you posted, they require a complete record of qualifications you actually hold or awaiting results for. i dont hold any qualifications from my uni nor am i awaiting any results.

and of course i did exams and got results, and if i had passed enough credits and had gotten a certificate of higher education for it, then obviously i would have to put that certification and the achieved grades on my ucas form, but i did not pass enough credits to get that paper, so i didnt get a certificate, therefore no certified grades or certifications that i can put on the form.
(edited 7 years ago)
If it were me then I think failed exams are included because that makes it a complete record. That is relevant information imo. I also think it comes under the heading of a qualification with an unsuccessful grade, even if its just that year.

Check with UCAS as you read it differently.
(edited 7 years ago)
If it were me then I think failed exams are included because that makes it a complete record. That is relevant information imo.

Check with UCAS as you read it differently.

you don't just put 'exams' on your ucas form, its not like you put on every exam you ever did at school at a-level, you only put on your actual end results that are part of a certificate you get. i dont have any end results. i cant even put on any 'failed exams' on my form as i dont even remember what grades/percentages i got, and i dont hold any record of them.

it seems to me that i dont have to put it on my form. i will email ucas and ask just in case but yeah.
you don't just put 'exams' on your ucas form, its not like you put on every exam you ever did at school at a-level, you only put on your actual end results that are part of a certificate you get. i dont have any end results. i cant even put on any 'failed exams' on my form as i dont even remember what grades/percentages i got, and i dont hold any record of them.

it seems to me that i dont have to put it on my form. i will email ucas and ask just in case but yeah.

Leaving it out falls under 'false and misleading information'. You are concealing the fact that you have attended university already. Student finance will already know this in any case.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Leaving it out falls under 'false and misleading information'. You are concealing the fact that you have attended university already. Student finance will already know this in any case.

Well no, not really, if UCAS rules dont say they require me to declare qualifications that i didn achieve, then i am not misleading anybody. :smile: i will just ask ucas, thanks.
Tbh you just sounded as though you only wanted advice that said you didnt have to disclose the fact you failed the year becayse it doesnt do you any favours. Believe it or not that is why it's relevant.

We have already told you its relevant information, fails are part of an unsuccessful record and you will not be giving a complete record. Suit yourself though. Check with UCAS.
Tbh you just sounded as though you only wanted advice that said you didnt have to disclose the fact you failed the year becayse it doesnt do you any favours. Believe it or not that is why it's relevant.

We have already told you its relevant information, fails are part of an unsuccessful record and you will not be giving a complete record. Suit yourself though. Check with UCAS.

you have not provided any evidence which suggests that that is the case though. you just said what you *think* is the correct answer or more like, what you believe is the *ethically correct* answer. you dont actually know whether i am required to declare it, and that is the answer i am looking for. not your personal opinions or what you *think* the rules mean. i was asking whether someone knows the actual facts.
according to someone in this thread, she has been told by UCAS NOT to put it on her form..

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1143902

'
I just phoned UCAS about this and the lady said not to put it in the Education section because I didn't gain any formal qualifications but to mention it in my personal statement. '

also another one..

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2188359

'
Hi I am in a similar situation I did a year of nursing but left after a year...i contacted UCAS and asked if i could avoid mentioning it as i didn't think it would look good on my application when applying again. They said that the University's are unlikely to know that you have already been to Uni so it was up to me if i mentioned it. I hope this helps, if you find out any different please let me know! '
(edited 7 years ago)
you have not provided any evidence which suggests that that is the case though. you just said what you *think* is the correct answer or more like, what you believe is the *ethically correct* answer. you dont actually know whether i am required to declare it, and that is the answer i am looking for. not your personal opinions or what you *think* the rules mean. i was asking whether someone knows the actual facts.

I've taken the trouble to look it up for you. I think the position is clear and that you should disclose it for the three reasons I gave you before.Its certainly the approach that ensures you arent accused of failing to declare information.
You dont like the answer.

Feel free to contact UCAS they might tell you differently and there again they might tell you exactly what ive suggested is the rule.
Why didnt you do that from the start?
I think the position is clear and that you should disclose it

No, it really isn't.

Why didnt you do that from the start?

Because it only occured to me today that I might not even have to declare it and it's the weekend so UCAS isn't available to contact at the moment.
You obviously dont wish to tell them, then so don't..
You obviously dont wish to tell them, then so don't..

And you obviously cannot answer my question so don't reply, simple as that :smile:
They specifically say somewhere that you have to include failed U grade A Levels, so I assume it's the same with failed university modules.
And you obviously cannot answer my question so don't reply, simple as that :smile:

I'm not the one in your situation.
@PQ Perhaps you can give an answer sufficiently authoritative for the OP.
You have to list all places where you have studied since age 11 in your education section (the help text clarifies this on ucas apply).

Did you pass any modules? If so then you DO have a formal qualification (undergraduate credits are a formal qualification even if they don't add up to enough to gain a certhe).

If you don't declare it universities will find out. It will then be at their complete discretion whether they want to accept an applicant (or expel a student) who knowingly made a fraudulent application.

If you want to risk this then knock yourself out - you're an adult and taking decisions and living with the consequences of your choices is part of that. Mentioning previous study in your application actually demonstrates that maturity to universities. Withholding it and applying fraudulently demonstrates immaturity and an attitude that you think rules are optional for you. Guess which attitude is appealing to universities?

Quick Reply

Latest