The Student Room Group

64% of TSR want to remain in the EU... share your vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kickboxer 98
well yeah, its my view and i study economics- i know there are consequences like the great depression which was shocking and still effecting many countries which we trade with but it was just my view

Seriously wow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514

I see you are still posting strong.
Original post by animus01
For such an important vote, even more than the General Elections, I am curious why people won't be voting. As I agree, the number of people not voting is quite something to take in, so I would be interested in the 'why' argument.

Well, from my point of view it's a matter of not being excited or enthused at ll by either option. When I look at the potential consequences of Leave/Remain I don't see my life getting significantly better either way. For me it's just a decision between where do the people who exploit me live...

Original post by brainhuman
Currently 15% on here have said they won't be voting.

1. They might not be eligible.

2. A turnout of 85% is HUGE. It is freaking massive.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11592557/General-election-2015-highest-turnout-since-Tony-Blair-landslide.html

This was the highest general election turnout in 18 years - at 66%.

Fair point about eligibility, just think it's interesting that so many people actively said they wouldn't vote (as opposed to just ignoring the poll).

Worth noting Scottish referendum turnout was 84.5%, which I'd say is a more comparable than a General Election.
Original post by brainhuman
I see you are still posting strong.

Why wouldn't I still be posting lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm underage so I won't be voting, BUT if I were to vote I would leave the EU
I'm voting remain, for a number of reasons:

- The remain side releases facts and figures, the leave side says its scaremongering.
- Whenever the leave side releases figures, they are countered by figures (alongside claims of scaremongering) from the leave side.
- A lot of prominent figures for the leave side (Johnson, Gove, Farage) seem/are incompetent and anything they stand for can't be good for me or the UK.
- I would rather be closer to Europe than US in terms of defence- the US has just given lockheed a monopoly on their fast jets with the JSF and has convinced us to do nearly the same- they're expensive, faulty and try to do everything while excelling at nothing. Thank god we have the Eurofighter.
- This debate has been subject to a lot of emotional debate and little persuasive debate on both sides. As neither side has convinced me fully, I'd rather vote for the status quo than "take a risk".
Original post by doggygowoofwoof
I'm voting remain, for a number of reasons:

- The remain side releases facts and figures, the leave side says its scaremongering.
- Whenever the leave side releases figures, they are countered by figures (alongside claims of scaremongering) from the leave side.
- A lot of prominent figures for the leave side (Johnson, Gove, Farage) seem/are incompetent and anything they stand for can't be good for me or the UK.
- I would rather be closer to Europe than US in terms of defence- the US has just given lockheed a monopoly on their fast jets with the JSF and has convinced us to do nearly the same- they're expensive, faulty and try to do everything while excelling at nothing. Thank god we have the Eurofighter.
- This debate has been subject to a lot of emotional debate and little persuasive debate on both sides. As neither side has convinced me fully, I'd rather vote for the status quo than "take a risk".

The funny thing about half the figures you want is that they're the sorts of figures that anybody with a bit of common sense know are lies given that it requires being able to accurately forecast decades into the future when people cannot even manage months. It's also worth noting that remaining is not a vote for the status quo, remaining doesn't freeze European integration here, it's a vote to let the EU accelerate it's rediculous rulings and attempts at integration.

As for your argument on brexit figures, care to tell me that you think that ALL the prominent figures on the remain side are clearly competent and good for the UK?

The Euro fighters are also independent of the EU, the company is part owned by the main Italian aerospace defence company, about a third owned by BAE and just shy of half owned by Airbus, separate to the EU entirely. Further, a very significant portion of our defence contracting goes to the UK and the Germans are hardly going to throw an arms embargo on us if we leave, no matter how much the remain campaign insinuate that all trade with the EU will stop overnight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by paul514

what?
well yeah, its my view and i study economics-

GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have read some more and think I'll vote in.

Original post by jneill
GCSE?

That sting.
what?

This

by remaining in the EU the UK remain able to recieve their imports (most of our products, such as food, clothing and technology) with no taxes or extra costs, meaning that our lifestyles will not be impacted.

Most goods we consume are from abroad? think where are our clothes made? where do we get our cars and IPads? how much exotic food do you consume? if we leave the EU prices for these goods will rise, and they will become scare, meaning that those lower income households will only be able to afford fast food, making them obese and therefore adding pressure to the NHS. Also TNC's such as Mc Donalds or Coca Cola who have offices and shops in the UK may decide to leave as they will no longer be able to access the EU through the UK; therefire causing unemployment

McDonald's is going to close if we vote leave....

Lack of stuff on the shelves.....

Hard to import goods......

Leaving means people get fatter.

Leaving means prices for goods go up.

Mate you need to lay off the crack

Posted from TSR Mobile
EU to give visa free access to 127 million. Many of these countries have initiated negotiations to join the EU, like Turkey

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-to-grant-visa-free-entry-to-127m-87fq8csns.
Cameron was asked by Farage before the negotiations in a televised debate whether he was willing to admit that the free movement of peoples was not on the table. Cameron said that wasn't true, and at the end of the negotiations, he came back with nothing. This is the main problem with Remain, plus a complete uncertainty as to where the European project will lead the UK.
Tories like Cameron talk big but they can't guarantee anything. It will only take a few Labor governments to be rid of Schengen and other exceptions. Before that there will surely be Turkey and perhaps even a European army.

LEAVE
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by plstudent
EU to give visa free access to 127 million. Many of these countries have initiated negotiations to join the EU, like Turkey

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-to-grant-visa-free-entry-to-127m-87fq8csns.

Tourists on 3 month visas. They must also have a return ticket, provide 6 months bank statements, evidence of health insurance and a travel itinerary.

PANIC!!!!!!
Original post by jneill
Tourists on 3 month visas. They must also have a return ticket, provide 6 months bank statements, evidence of health insurance and a travel itinerary.

PANIC!!!!!!

Yeah, because they will go back after having visa free access...
Original post by plstudent
Yeah, because they will go back after having visa free access...

Actually, just realised I was mistaken. Sorry.

It's visa free access they are planning. Ok - PANICCCCCCCC!!!!!!!

Oh wait, what about the visa-free access already available to the countries in green. Quite a few.... even Trump's friends in Mexico.

Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 17.36.23.jpg
Original post by jneill
Actually, just realised I was mistaken. Sorry.

It's visa free access they are planning. Ok - PANICCCCCCCC!!!!!!!

Oh wait, what about the visa-free access already available to the countries in green. Quite a few.... even Trump's friends in Mexico.

Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 17.36.23.jpg

Those countries are generally farther away from Europe and most of them have no prospects of joining the EU.
(edited 7 years ago)

A-Level and taking it at UNiversity
Original post by paul514
This

McDonald's is going to close if we vote leave....

Lack of stuff on the shelves.....

Hard to import goods......

Leaving means people get fatter.

Leaving means prices for goods go up.

Mate you need to lay off the crack

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just cause you have other views, i didnt say this will happen, but it COULD
Just cause you have other views, i didnt say this will happen, but it COULD

No. No it could not happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply