The Student Room Group

intergration question

for this question i wanted to know if i need to find C when integrating, i checked the marking scheme and it showed C but they never found C in the answer.

Scroll to see replies

You're given the bounds--this means you can ignore C, because you have numbers to work with.

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by djmans
for this question i wanted to know if i need to find C when integrating, i checked the marking scheme and it showed C but they never found C in the answer.

You use +c+c when you're integrating without limits and you don't use +c+c when you are integrating with limits.

This makes, sense, because if you want to integrate something between limits, you do 12xdx\int_1^2 x \, \mathrm{d}x, this gets you (let's include the constant to show you why it's useless):

[x22+c]12=222+c122c=412\displaystyle \bigg[ \frac{x^2}{2} + c \bigg]_1^2 = \frac{2^2}{2} + c - \frac{1^2}{2} - c = \frac{4 - 1}{2}

that is, when there are limits, the constants will always cancel, so you don't need to put them there in the first place.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by djmans

You cannot find C
Original post by TobyReichelt
You're given the bounds--this means you can ignore C, because you have numbers to work with.

Spoiler

Please ignore that image. I forgot to actually do the integration.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
You use +c+c when you're integrating without limits and you don't use +c+c when you are integrating with limits.

This makes, sense, because if you want to integrate something between limits, you do 12xdx\int_1^2 x \, \mathrm{d}x, this gets you (let's include the constant to show you why it's useless):

[x22+c]12=222+c122c=412\displaystyle \bigg[ \frac{x^2}{2} + c \bigg]_1^2 = \frac{2^2}{2} + c - \frac{1^2}{2} - c = \frac{4 - 1}{2}

that is, when there are limits, the constants will always cancel, so you don't need to put them there in the first place.

thx i got it now
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken

one more thing, these types of questions with a limit are always integration?
Reply 7
Original post by djmans
one more thing, these types of questions with a limit are always integration?

Yes. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Yes. :smile:

in questions how do i identify if i must differentiate or integrate?
"Using calculus!"

Did the next question ask you to 'Do the thing!!!"

If they want a question to be particularly open ended and challenging do they just say: "You might want to use some kind of method or something."? :P

Sorry, that tickled me far too much. :biggrin:
Original post by djmans
in questions how do i identify if i must differentiate or integrate?

Every question will tell you, in one way or another.

Typically, if you need to find a gradient, you differentiate, if you need to find an area, you integrate.

The big, elongated 'S' looking thing means you need to integrate. If you see something like d/dx or f'(x) (after being given f(x)) you need to differentiate, in general.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WhisperingTide
"Using calculus!"

Did the next question ask you to 'Do the thing!!!"

If they want a question to be particularly open ended and challenging do they just say: "You might want to use some kind of method or something."? :P

Sorry, that tickled me far too much. :biggrin:

Calculators with numerical integrators are allowed in lots of exams.
Original post by EricPiphany
Calculators with numerical integrators are allowed in lots of exams.

Yeah, I know why it makes sense, but that doesn't stop me from finding it funny. :smile:
Original post by WhisperingTide
Yeah, I know why it makes sense, but that doesn't stop me from finding it funny. :smile:

That's good. :smile:
Reply 14
if its f'(x) what should i do?
Reply 15
Original post by djmans

If you integrate f(x)f'(x) you get f(x)+cf(x)+ c. Then you use the given point to find cc.
Original post by djmans

What is the rest of the question? Find f(x) in terms of x? Given a set of co-ordinates, you can work out what c is.
Reply 17
Original post by djmans

Integrate to find y.
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken
If you integrate f(x)f'(x) you get f(x)+cf(x)+ c. Then you use the given point to find cc.

so f its f'(x) i must integrate
Reply 19
Original post by djmans
so f its f'(x) i must integrate

Essentially, yeah...

Quick Reply

Latest