The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

If the question 1 is to write a letter ?
Should you make up address in the corner?
Can someone help me on Q2? I always write over the word count. The word count is 250 to 300 words but I just timed myself and it took me 40 mins to do Q2 and I wrote 420 words approx.

For describing imagery I use LICE (Literal meaning, Implicit Meaning, Connotations, Effect on reader/ Or 'it creates the effect of ...':wink:

For describing verbs or other things I say - This 'verb/xxx' is effective in describing the xxxx because it suggests blablalbla and it means blablabla. It has connotations of blablabla and this helps the writer to create an effect of blablabla.

This is why I do Q2 last because I always run out of time :frown: Any suggestions??
Original post by Supreme_
If the question 1 is to write a letter ?
Should you make up address in the corner?

no, waste of time.
just address the person correctly e.g. dear ... and sign off e.g. yours sincerely/faithfully/lots of love (the formality depends on who you're writing to).
Original post by ibrahim11
Can someone help me on Q2? I always write over the word count. The word count is 250 to 300 words but I just timed myself and it took me 40 mins to do Q2 and I wrote 420 words approx.

For describing imagery I use LICE (Literal meaning, Implicit Meaning, Connotations, Effect on reader/ Or 'it creates the effect of ...':wink:

For describing verbs or other things I say - This 'verb/xxx' is effective in describing the xxxx because it suggests blablalbla and it means blablabla. It has connotations of blablabla and this helps the writer to create an effect of blablabla.

This is why I do Q2 last because I always run out of time :frown: Any suggestions??

they don't penalise you for going over the word count except in question 3 as it is a summary. try and spend 30 minutes on question 2 (15 for each pargraph) as all they're looking for is a selection of 4 words with dictionary definition then effect. remember question 2 is just 10 marks, the other two make 40/50 of the total marks so spend a good 40-45 minutes of 1 and 3.
Original post by mxskaan
they don't penalise you for going over the word count except in question 3 as it is a summary. try and spend 30 minutes on question 2 (15 for each pargraph) as all they're looking for is a selection of 4 words with dictionary definition then effect. remember question 2 is just 10 marks, the other two make 40/50 of the total marks so spend a good 40-45 minutes of 1 and 3.

So do I not need to mention connotations and implicit meanings each time?
So do I not need to mention connotations and implicit meanings each time?

I personally do not do that for every quotation I pick but I tend to give a general overview of what the writer is trying to convey in each paragraph. If you have time then you can.

For example: Overall, the writer creates a sense of ......... by using......
*quotation* - this means....
which evokes a sense of/implies/indicates/illustrates/emphasises etc.

That's all I do and I'm left with 8 mini paragraphs about 3-4 sentences each.
Original post by HouseOfRichman
No it must be in an informative style. You should do this, you are able to etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okk. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone tell me all the different forms question 1 could ask us to write in so I can learn how to write each one haha?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, in our school the teachers dont like to estimate how many marks you would need to get a grade, so can you guys please tell me?
I got 26/30 in speaking and 45/50 in coursework, so thats 71/130 already.. Approximately how many more marks would i need for an A*?:smile:
For Q1, what if it says write it in the format of an interview? Does that mean on each line you have to be like....
Person 1: blah blah blah
Person 2:blah blah blkah blah blahb ablha
Person 1: blah.

Help pleaseeee :smile:
Original post by Perfection Ace
For Q1, what if it says write it in the format of an interview? Does that mean on each line you have to be like....
Person 1: blah blah blah
Person 2:blah blah blkah blah blahb ablha
Person 1: blah.

Help pleaseeee :smile:

For an interview, on the past papers (2011,2010,2012) the questions that the interviewer asks are already given to you. They haven't asked for an interview in a long time so they may do so this year. They should still give the interview questions, if we get it this year, even though the spec changed (if they don't then we are kinda screwed lol)
For an interview, on the past papers (2011,2010,2012) the questions that the interviewer asks are already given to you. They haven't asked for an interview in a long time so they may do so this year. They should still give the interview questions, if we get it this year, even though the spec changed (if they don't then we are kinda screwed lol)

Haha, okay! Thanks a lot for the help bro! Much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 352
Haha, okay! Thanks a lot for the help bro! Much appreciated! :smile:

If it does give you the questions will it literally be one question per bullet point? So do you only ask those 3 questions?
Original post by Mlb37
If it does give you the questions will it literally be one question per bullet point? So do you only ask those 3 questions?

I think it will be a question per bp. Nevertheless, I wish you all the best!
Reply 354
I think it will be a question per bp. Nevertheless, I wish you all the best!

Thank you! Good luck :h:

I really like the LICE thing thank you :smile:
Reply 356
Do anybody have access to the PIXL papers? I am looking to practice Q3 even though i am very good at this question.
Original post by ibte10
Do anybody have access to the PIXL papers? I am looking to practice Q3 even though i am very good at this question.

My teacher printed one for me but I dont have access just type up on google
Reply 358
Original post by ellamoon_22
My teacher printed one for me but I dont have access just type up on google

Do you have the Mark Scheme? Also do you know the name of the passage and the question?
Original post by mxskaan

Omg really? I didn't know this.. My teacher has told me that they do penalise you if you go over the word count for all of the questions.. :frown:
I didn't know that it only applied for q3. damn, this changes things lol xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending