The Student Room Group

Can a university turn you down because of your GCSE results?

Let's say that I want to do a physics course and I got the entry requirements. Let's also say that I got an A* in physics and an A in maths, but only a few As and Bs make up the other results. Would this have a big effect on my chances of being accepted into the course or is it not worth stressing about getting all As and A*s in my GCSEs?
Original post by AxSirlotl
Let's say that I want to do a physics course and I got the entry requirements. Let's also say that I got an A* in physics and an A in maths, but only a few As and Bs make up the other results. Would this have a big effect on my chances of being accepted into the course or is it not worth stressing about getting all As and A*s in my GCSEs?

Yes they can and will, but it all depends on the standard of entry for that year.

Edit: also depends on where you apply, obviously if you're aiming for Oxford, good GCSEs are important as alot of candidates will have similar stats
(edited 7 years ago)
Most unis aren't Oxbridge or equivalent. If you aren't planning to go to them then you shouldn't worry about B's and A's.
Depends on how well you do in A levels in a way. My sister's room-mate got the lowest for GCSEs out of her friendship group (1 A*,5 As,5 Bs) but got AAAA in AS (but you do have to note that she got full marks in three of her subjects) and got an Oxford offer. She's now in her final year.

Unis can turn you down. But you can get into Oxbridge with average GCSEs (but it's rare)
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Depends on how well you do in A levels in a way. My sister's room-mate got the lowest for GCSEs out of her friendship group (1 A*,5 As,5 Bs) but got AAAA in AS (but you do have to note that she got full marks in three of her subjects) and got an Oxford offer. She's now in her final year.

Unis can turn you down. But you can get into Oxbridge with average GCSEs (but it's rare)

How about Cambridge,with average gcses
University is the start to a debt filled life, Don't go if you can't afford.

Play it smart.
Original post by Blancosdos
How about Cambridge,with average gcses

Not sure about Cam

Quick Reply

Latest