The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
There is so so much noise everywhere, i can't get away from it. Just normal sounds enrage me and put me on edge i can't describe it really. Everything just seems so much louder and even people just shuffling about i feel so so angry with them it is ridiculous really :redface:

as someone who's suffered quite intense phonophobia and hyperacusis I can 100% relate to this... :hugs:
I personally used to find taking back control of the noise would help so I'd listen to music or watch tv through headphones to block everything else out... hope you're ok x
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello :smile:

I'm new to TSR, I'm a student (private candidate, South African, doing IGCSEs and hopefully A levels too later this year) and I justed wanted to say hi. I've been officially diagnosed with ADD, OCD and Generalised Anxiety Disorder Comorbid Major Depression. I'm actually just saying this because this is a support group for mental health :smile: It's not something I usually talk a lot about with people but I do believe people should talk more, to lessen the stigma. Doing things get harder when you struggle with these kind of things, but you can learn a lot about life / yourself on the way. I'm struggling a bit with school at the moment, due to anxiety and perfectionism mostly, even though I used to do quite well. I haven't recieved bad grades up to this point because examinations scare me and I have had some personal things to work through, but I am writing examinations this May and June and it is the scariest thing I have done. It's good when you learn to face your fears, but it doesn't always feel great. In fact, it feels pretty awful. But I have hope.

Anyway, that is my version of an extended "Hi" 🙂
Original post by clockworkbella

I'm new to TSR, I'm a student (private candidate, South African, doing IGCSEs and hopefully A levels too later this year) and I justed wanted to say hi. I've been officially diagnosed with ADD, OCD and Generalised Anxiety Disorder Comorbid Major Depression. I'm actually just saying this because this is a support group for mental health :smile: It's not something I usually talk a lot about with people but I do believe people should talk more, to lessen the stigma. Doing things get harder when you struggle with these kind of things, but you can learn a lot about life / yourself on the way. I'm struggling a bit with school at the moment, due to anxiety and perfectionism mostly, even though I used to do quite well. I haven't recieved bad grades up to this point because examinations scare me and I have had some personal things to work through, but I am writing examinations this May and June and it is the scariest thing I have done. It's good when you learn to face your fears, but it doesn't always feel great. In fact, it feels pretty awful. But I have hope.

:wavey:

Hi! :hi: I'm TLG. I'm not on here much atm but just wanted to say hello :redface: Also, to wish you luck with your IGCSEs! :h:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:wavey:

Hi! :hi: I'm TLG. I'm not on here much atm but just wanted to say hello :redface: Also, to wish you luck with your IGCSEs! :h:

Thank you! You know, TSR can also be a scary place in a way (it's a new thing for me) so I really do appreciate the Hello. Thanks :smile:
Original post by eleanor27
as someone who's suffered quite intense phonophobia and hyperacusis I can 100% relate to this... :hugs:
I personally used to find taking back control of the noise would help so I'd listen to music or watch tv through headphones to block everything else out... hope you're ok x

Sorry i didn't reply to this earlier :redface:
thank you for that advice, it actually really helped because listening to music was the only thing that helped block all the aggravating sounds out. Idek why they are aggravating, just everyday noise making me so so angry and just sounds trigger palpitations and stuff idek why :redface:
I hope you're ok too lovely, and thank you very much for that advice, it helped a lot :hugs: x
I've started a blog on here about my journey through my mental health conditions. Hoping it helps :smile: I've always found talking to be really useful so thought I'd give it a bash :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I'm Cesca, welcome to the MHSS. :hugs: Good luck with your exams.
So I'm on episode 6 of House of Cards.

I started it today. :colondollar:

This is why I don't watch tv or new shows, and just stick with old shows because I become too obsessed. It's bad, really bad.
Original post by Airmed

This is why I don't watch tv or new shows, and just stick with old shows because I become too obsessed. It's bad, really bad.

Haha I am the exact same. House of Cards is really good though!
Original post by Airmed

I got halfway through season 3 of HoC and got totally bored of it. :colondollar:

Maybe you could try limiting yourself to like one episode a day or use it as a "reward" for having done some studying?

I just finished Daredevil and loved it. Also Mr. Robot and Gotham are both fantastic. Currently watching Jessica Jones - a little slow but hopefully it'll pick up.
Original post by Airmed
Hi, I'm Cesca, welcome to the MHSS. :hugs: Good luck with your exams.

Thank you! :h:
Original post by moment of truth
Haha I am the exact same. House of Cards is really good though!

I like it, don't know why I didn't watch it before!

Original post by Sabertooth
I got halfway through season 3 of HoC and got totally bored of it. :colondollar:

Maybe you could try limiting yourself to like one episode a day or use it as a "reward" for having done some studying?

I just finished Daredevil and loved it. Also Mr. Robot and Gotham are both fantastic. Currently watching Jessica Jones - a little slow but hopefully it'll pick up.

The thing is...I have nothing else to do. Not until I find a job. I'm finished uni for the year, exam was last Friday, and I'm just bored.

(Daredevil and Jessica Jones are on my list).

Season 3 wasn't the best, but season 4 was excellent, I thought. The ending is madness!

Daredevil was really good, and yeah Jessica Jones does pick up towards the end.

:hat2: Howdie! Nice to meet you!

I think that TSR is pretty great for being able to talk frankly about mental health. I think a lot of people learn a fair bit about it from the posts of people here and I hope that lessens stigma.

South African? I love those accents! I guess you've probably seen Blood Diamond?
Original post by Airmed
The thing is...I have nothing else to do. Not until I find a job. I'm finished uni for the year, exam was last Friday, and I'm just bored.

(Daredevil and Jessica Jones are on my list).

There's always something to do! :tongue: :wink:

Maybe spend some time perfecting your CV? Go give out CVs? Get a language CD/book from the library and give it a go? Do some work in advance for next term?

Though, if you don't have anything to do, what's wrong with spending time watching TV shows?

Hi and welcome to the thread and TSR :smile: I have OCD too, if you ever need to talk I'm here as are the rest of us! All the best with everything and take care :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moment of truth
Season 3 wasn't the best, but season 4 was excellent, I thought. The ending is madness!

Daredevil was really good, and yeah Jessica Jones does pick up towards the end.

Oh I meant season 4 - it was the last season. It just got a bit silly politics-reality-wise.

Atm I'm kind of struggling to motivate myself with Jessica Jones so I'm glad to hear it picks up. I want to watch Luke Cage and Iron Fist and apparently they all connect.
There's always something to do! :tongue: :wink:

Maybe spend some time perfecting your CV? Go give out CVs? Get a language CD/book from the library and give it a go? Do some work in advance for next term?

Though, if you don't have anything to do, what's wrong with spending time watching TV shows?

I've been redrafting and handing out my CV since September, that's an ongoing thing (though no one will hire me because I am nearly 20 and I have never had a PT job before; city I come from has highest unemployment figures in the UK, go figure :frown: I have the grades, just not the retail experience).

Tried the languages thing last summer and I lost interest. Work for next semester? I already know one of the modules cause it's Irish politics, and they've not put up the reading list for the core module. Stuck on that front until exam season is over.

I dunno, I just feel like it is not productive. I have my volunteering every week, and the gym, and my lovely but useless mh meetings (got a book from Aberdeen, a sorta self help book, it's that bad) but that's it. I feel useless and like I should be doing something
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh I meant season 4 - it was the last season. It just got a bit silly politics-reality-wise.

Atm I'm kind of struggling to motivate myself with Jessica Jones so I'm glad to hear it picks up. I want to watch Luke Cage and Iron Fist and apparently they all connect.

Fair enough. I personally thought it was one of the best seasons (I finished it in a few days :colondollar:).

I thought that it picks up, but you might not think so :tongue: Yep, apparently they do. There are a few shows that I have seen like half a season and don't really feel like going back to it. True Detective season 2 was boring, I thought.
:hat2: Howdie! Nice to meet you!

I think that TSR is pretty great for being able to talk frankly about mental health. I think a lot of people learn a fair bit about it from the posts of people here and I hope that lessens stigma.

South African? I love those accents! I guess you've probably seen Blood Diamond?

Hi :smile:

I think so too. The less stigma, the better!

Surprisingly not - I had to google "Blood Diamond" to know what you are talking about. I didn't know there was such a film! But from the credits I see that Leonardo is starring as the South African - I have nothing against people making films about or involving South Africa or South Africans but I often feel it very misrepresented! 😬🙂 That is why I (ironically) prefer to watch art house films :smile:

Latest