The Student Room Group

Advice on becoming a vet?

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out a bit - my overall ambition is to study veterinary medicine.
Currently studying AS level biology, applied science, art and geography (I know I need chemistry), got all Bs at GCSE except an A in double science. To get the chemistry a level I was doing to take a "gap year" out after sixth form and do an intensive one year course to get this. However without 5 As at GCSE what do I do?? And I am thinking about studying another degree such as bio veterinary science or vet nursing and them doing a vet med graduate entry course? but I'm really confused about everything and if anyone could offer some advice that would be amazing
Original post by jess_horsey
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out a bit - my overall ambition is to study veterinary medicine.
Currently studying AS level biology, applied science, art and geography (I know I need chemistry), got all Bs at GCSE except an A in double science. To get the chemistry a level I was doing to take a "gap year" out after sixth form and do an intensive one year course to get this. However without 5 As at GCSE what do I do?? And I am thinking about studying another degree such as bio veterinary science or vet nursing and them doing a vet med graduate entry course? but I'm really confused about everything and if anyone could offer some advice that would be amazing

I can't offer too much advice I'm afraid, however, my dad is a vet and I have heard him say that he has never heard of anyone going from vet nursing to a vet degree, so maybe that isn't the best route. If it's what you have set your sights on, I would try and get your chemistry A level and speak to the universities and see if there is anyway of studying it without 5 A's at GCSE
Only do graduate entry if you have the money to see you through 5 years of paying fees in cash as you won't be able to get a second loan.

Either resit your GCSEs after your A levels. See if you qualify for a preliminary 6 year vet course. Or consider other routes into vet med

Hope that helps :smile:
Hi everyone,

I wouldn't advise the graduate route. There is no funding through student finance and you will have to pay a minimum of £9000 a year for tuition fees yourself, as well as the fact you will be doing 7/8/9 years in university (depending on whether you go for a 4 year graduate course, normal 5 year course or the 6 year course at Nottingham), you would still need the GCSEs and A levels even with a degree, so I would advise that you re do your a levels or as above, see if you are eligible for the year 0 course at Liverpool or RVC gateway course.

With a degree it is just as competitive to get a place on the vet med degree, so it doesn't become any easier taking that route.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi everyone,

Hello,
I am in a sort of similar position to yourself - I studied a BTEC Extended Diploma in Animal Management and got just under the required grades. From September 2016 I will have to take A Levels alongside GSCE Double Science as I got a C in Biology and a B in Chemistry at GCSE. I've been doing a lot of research into alternative routes etc; basically you absolutely do need A level chemistry for all the Vet schools except for Liverpool; they only require B at AS currently - I do not know whether this will change or not in the future, but has been their policy for the previous few years. However you'll want to appeal to the majority of vet schools rather than just the one, so I would recommend the A level chemistry route - I have not found any fast track courses for an A level, however there is something called Access to HE Diploma, which focuses on the sciences. That said, as you are currently undertaking A levels I would stick to them. The other subjects you are taking are fine; Biology and Geography are both accepted everywhere, and Biology is required. In regards to GCSE's you are best looking at the admissions requirements, this can be downloaded from the RVCS website here:
https://www.rcvs.org.uk/document-library/admissions-requirements-aug-2010/

This was as of August 2010 so it may have updated - you have the required Sciences at A grade, so possibly Maths, English and something else to bring it up to five? Although from the admissions statements and from speaking to the vet schools, I've been told they usually just look for As in the sciences aside from Cambridge - the minimum grades at B at GCSE for most subjects, but if you take out a gap year to do the Chemistry you can do some GCSE's alongside this - look for a local college that offer part time GCSE's so you can do an evening class or something whilst working on your A level chemistry.

The only other advice I can give you is work experience - get as much as possible. Try and meet Liverpools requirements (10 weeks) if you can - then you'll have met all the Vet school requirements.

I hope my jabbering on made some sense to you, good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by bullettheory
I can't offer too much advice I'm afraid, however, my dad is a vet and I have heard him say that he has never heard of anyone going from vet nursing to a vet degree, so maybe that isn't the best route. If it's what you have set your sights on, I would try and get your chemistry A level and speak to the universities and see if there is anyway of studying it without 5 A's at GCSE

It is something some Vet schools do accept - however usually at a 2:1 or higher, with AS or A Level chemistry at an A or B alongside this.
Original post by N.Julia
It is something some Vet schools do accept - however usually at a 2:1 or higher, with AS or A Level chemistry at an A or B alongside this.

They all ask for 2:1 or above. 2:1 is the lowest they will accept

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Lizziefickling
They all ask for 2:1 or above. 2:1 is the lowest they will accept

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry yeah that is what I meant - minimum 2:1 but they would prefer higher
Original post by N.Julia
Sorry yeah that is what I meant - minimum 2:1 but they would prefer higher

They actually don't, as long as you have a 2:1 and meet all the other requirements you're fine. An applicant with a first that has less work experience than an applicant with a 2:1 doesn't have a better chance of getting a place or interview.
When I applied a guy with a first applied to the same vet schools as me. I had a 2:1, we had the same A levels and GCSEs. He never even got any interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
so i'm a bit confused with what to do -
1. go down the postgrad route, firstly doing a degree in vet nursing or biovet science which has lower a level requirements and no chemistry and then doing a second degree in veterinary medicine, however only RVC and Edinburgh will accept just a degree without the required a levels on top, so this is a bit risky

2. just go to college and do A level chem and do some GCSE courses to try and boost some grades up to As, but i don't think that i will be getting A2 grades at AAA...

Im conflicted on what to do!
Do A levels... Edinburgh charges £36,000 a year and applying only to RVC would be way too risky. Most graduates resit their A-levels before applying anyway.

And I think getting 3 A's at A-levels would be much easier and less stressful than having to do another degree and worry about funding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending