The Student Room Group

Is Physics A Level interestng?

I'm thinking of picking it alongside maths, further maths and economics. How are the topics, are most of them dull or does it actually get interesting. The exam board would be AQA. My alternative to this would be history.
Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Half of it is actually quite interesting. For me it was the first chapter, when we were investigating the structure of an atom (the forces within it) and the different particles (hadrons etc.) whereas I found moments and other topic's just purely maths based. :/ Oh and mechanics is a killer, but it is interesting in most aspects of the course and as you are doing maths, it should be easy for you so if you find it interesting or like it at GCSE, then go for it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by HamzahPatel
I'm thinking of picking it alongside maths, further maths and economics. How are the topics, are most of them dull or does it actually get interesting. The exam board would be AQA. My alternative to this would be history.
Thanks

What are you planning to do at Uni?
Reply 3
Physics is interesting if you pay attention, at the beginning of the course I found it a bit boring but that was because I kept letting my mind wander so subsequently didn't understand it. But when I realised this and started paying attention I found the course really interesting. Also If you're thinking about Physics or History, you need to actually like the subject as physics is hard work but so is history, which has ALOT of work to remember.
Original post by M14B
What are you planning to do at Uni?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Economics
Indeed, Physics is interesting.

I must warn you, though, that Physics is entirely a matter of understanding the subject as opposed to memorising facts. Think of Physics as a 2nd Mathematics, only this time you have physical matter to work with. More often than not in the exam you'll be given circumstances you've never come across before and you're expected to apply mathematical knowledge and educated assumptions in order to reach an answer. But it is VERY rewarding.

Maths, to take alongside it, is a must. You'll be at an advantage with Further Mathematics, and with economics, because you're bound to take Statistics in either of those, and Physics does have a statistical quality to it.

It's very fun! And should you find yourself engrossed in the subject, don't worry about going off to research things that aren't in your spec. I'm on OCR A and I've written a research paper on Quantum Chaos, which I don't think is covered until one of the later years in university.

It's a magical way of expressing mathematics and forming logical reasoning within your head, as well as being one of the most respected A-levels out there.
It is really frustrating and insulting to anyone who likes or wants to enjoy physics, because as with GCSE, we are still taught an absurdly dulled-down version of the subject with very little maths and boring explanations.

However, if you are on AQA, there are two notably interesting parts which aren't so bad. In PHYA4 there's a large section on particle physics and quantum phenomena which is very good, and also in PHYA5 there is an optional module - we study 'turning points in physics' which contains some historical physics, including some special relativity.

So some of it is interesting, but a lot of it isn't - but on the bright side the boring parts are quite easy.
I do the same a levels as the ones your considering, I find physics really interesting I'm not the greatest fan of the materials section though. If you do mechanics 1 in either further or normal maths you should find the mechanics section in physics super easy, my exam board is OCR B
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 雷尼克
It is really frustrating and insulting to anyone who likes or wants to enjoy physics, because as with GCSE, we are still taught an absurdly dulled-down version of the subject with very little maths and boring explanations.

However, if you are on AQA, there are two notably interesting parts which aren't so bad. In PHYA4 there's a large section on particle physics and quantum phenomena which is very good, and also in PHYA5 there is an optional module - we study 'turning points in physics' which contains some historical physics, including some special relativity.

So some of it is interesting, but a lot of it isn't - but on the bright side the boring parts are quite easy.

I thought everyone at higher levels counted squares instead of integrating...
Reply 9
physics is interesting and not that difficult if you are good at maths
Original post by HamzahPatel
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Economics

omg u r same like me, I am just picking chemistry instead of further maths
I find most of it pretty interesting, especially particles and waves. Mechanics is alright but a bit meh. Electricity is just..it's..well it's the devil. Nuff said.

Make sure you have a legitimate teacher and not a fraud like Mine sadly. Pick wisely :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest