The Student Room Group

How to deal with failing A-levels?

So I'm at this stage now where I'm not even worried about failing A-levels because I know I just will. I may not get all U's but I won't get higher that a C & anything below a B is a fail to me. So anyways, just wanted to know how I can deal with this? Because right now I'm literally breaking down every day. I'm know 100% that I'm not gonna get into ANY of the good universities that I'd like to get into & I'll probably end up in a **** retail job in future. Oh well, any advice on how I can get through this doom?
Original post by 1295084
So I'm at this stage now where I'm not even worried about failing A-levels because I know I just will. I may not get all U's but I won't get higher that a C & anything below a B is a fail to me. So anyways, just wanted to know how I can deal with this? Because right now I'm literally breaking down every day. I'm know 100% that I'm not gonna get into ANY of the good universities that I'd like to get into & I'll probably end up in a **** retail job in future. Oh well, any advice on how I can get through this doom?

1) please don't put 'failing A-Levels' when you're not working at an E/U!
2) You know what situation you're in so REVISE!
3) Not getting into a 'good' uni does not equal no job. Otherwise why would the 'worse' unis even exist?
4) Take a deep breath, calm down. You're not going to get anywhere by letting yourself panic. I know how hard it is, I've had panic attacks this year (A2).
5) Getting BCC etc. doesn't mean you cannot retake next year or have higher predictions. I got ABC last year, predicted AAB and have a conditional place at Cardiff.
6) If the worst comes to the worst (and I mean UUU-EEE grades) you can retake year 12 - I did!

Which subjects are you taking? :smile:
Reply 2
5) Getting BCC etc. doesn't mean you cannot retake next year or have higher predictions. I got ABC last year, predicted AAB and have a conditional place at Cardiff.

I'm confused, did you get ABC at AS or A2?
Original post by JGang

I got ABC at AS and was predicted AAB at A2. If I already knew my A2 grades my place wouldn't be conditional?
Reply 4
don't loose hope mate seriously.

i got ABCD in my AS's and then brought it back to A*AA at A2

and for most my exams i only started revising hard like 3/4 weeks before its TOTALLY do-able, just knuckle down and think i will never have to work this hard again in my life
Go and see your GP.

You sound as though you are being unduly pessimistic. I cnat tell whether you are overdoing it or being realistic. I wouldnt sit exams I knew I was going to get U's for, but its common for people to panic and be pessimistic, then perform quite well, its just a way of delsing with nerves.

You cna still do a lot in the time you have left if you put the work in. Try your best and the rest cna deal with itself after, if you choose to sit the exams.
Reply 6
Original post by emiloujess

I got ABC at AS and was predicted AAB at A2. If I already knew my A2 grades my place wouldn't be conditional?

I'm also repeating year 12, would you say that repeating year 12, limited your university options?
Reply 7
1) please don't put 'failing A-Levels' when you're not working at an E/U!
2) You know what situation you're in so REVISE!
3) Not getting into a 'good' uni does not equal no job. Otherwise why would the 'worse' unis even exist?
4) Take a deep breath, calm down. You're not going to get anywhere by letting yourself panic. I know how hard it is, I've had panic attacks this year (A2).
6) If the worst comes to the worst (and I mean UUU-EEE grades) you can retake year 12 - I did!

Which subjects are you taking? :smile:

For one of my subjects I AM working at an E/U. I do bio chem French & economics. I wanna do medicine so retaking a year isn't an option..
Original post by JGang

I'm also repeating year 12, would you say that repeating year 12, limited your university options?

Maybe the top top unis eg. Oxbridge, St Andrews, Durham (although I didn't attempt those) but I got offers from Birmingham and Cardiff so I wouldn't say it limits you too much :smile: I also got offers from all of the universities I applied to.
Original post by 1295084
For one of my subjects I AM working at an E/U. I do bio chem French & economics. I wanna do medicine so retaking a year isn't an option..

That's only one subject :/ There are other routes into Medicine like Biomed and then graduate medicine though aren't there? and my point 2 still stands... bug your teachers as much as you need to but make sure you revise and get those grades!

"If there's a will then there's a way to get there" ~ my favourite artist.
Reply 10
Maybe the top top unis eg. Oxbridge, St Andrews, Durham (although I didn't attempt those) but I got offers from Birmingham and Cardiff so I wouldn't say it limits you too much :smile: I also got offers from all of the universities I applied to.

Ok thanks, what course, may I ask?
Original post by JGang
Ok thanks, what course, may I ask?

I originally applied for Politics Joint Honours courses but later changed to Journalism, Media & Sociology (which Cardiff also didn't have a problem with)

Best of luck :smile:
Original post by 1295084

You are right that nobody with any sense likes EU - but that's another story. :smile:

My advice is revise your hardest on the off-chance that you may do better than you think; but then if you do fail it's not such a big deal. You can easily get a job or apprenticeship that you enjoy and make a good career from it
Reply 13
I originally applied for Politics Joint Honours courses but later changed to Journalism, Media & Sociology (which Cardiff also didn't have a problem with)

Best of luck :smile:

Thank you, you too.
Original post by 1295084

Go out, buy 10 packs of flashcards, copy out your text books (all nighter- get coffee/red bull etc) and put the flashcards in those plastic pockets and organise them into what subtopic they're about.

Don't do the past papers, but flip through some and say if you think you could answer the q's or not. If no, write down the topics you hate, whack out those flashcards, and watch the miracle of knowledge happen.

I started in April with these flash cards and went from BDU to BBB right now (AS) It so can happen- PLEASE don't let yourself be the reason you've closed some doors!
Reply 15
Anyone doing sociology g671-4 ocr , buss1-4 aqa ? And biology aqa . Please pm. I'm also failing

Quick Reply

Latest