The Student Room Group

S1 help!!

Im currently a year 12 student studying edexcel A level maths (bio chem and phys)
I have 2 different teachers for the course, one for s1 and the other one for core 1&2. I am really worried because Ive been getting low grades for my s1 mocks (and so has my class). The students who have the other s1 teacher have been getting straight A's.
While people in my class have been outperforming them in the core components.

Are there any resources I can use in order to improve my grades

I am currently struggling with the topics;
- Probability
- Normal Distribution (!!!!!!!!!!!)
Original post by Vyasbandicoots
Im currently a year 12 student studying edexcel A level maths (bio chem and phys)
I have 2 different teachers for the course, one for s1 and the other one for core 1&2. I am really worried because Ive been getting low grades for my s1 mocks (and so has my class). The students who have the other s1 teacher have been getting straight A's.
While people in my class have been outperforming them in the core components.

Are there any resources I can use in order to improve my grades

I am currently struggling with the topics;
- Probability
- Normal Distribution (!!!!!!!!!!!)

ExamSolutions for the understanding

Textbook questions for the practice
Original post by LelouchViRuge
ExamSolutions for the understanding

Textbook questions for the practice

Thing is, i had a look at a few questions frm past papers
Theyve linked prbbility and normal distribution together 😰
I couldnt find them in the book :frown:
Thing is, i had a look at a few questions frm past papers
Theyve linked prbbility and normal distribution together 😰
I couldnt find them in the book :frown:

Text book questions are sort of.. useless, they are a lot easier than the exam paper. Luckily there are plenty of past papers so you should use only those to practise. Also, older past papers are are easy as well, so not much help if you want to get an A. Try to do all the past papers from 2013 on perhaps? (obviously up to 2016) (if you're running out of time, start from 2014)

If you get an answer wrong make sure you go through the solution until you understand it 100%. Exam questions don't really reinvent themselves, they might ask some new bits and pieces but all in all it will be the same thing worded differently with different numbers.

What are your difficulties with those topics? I got an A in S1 and now I'm doing S2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lawlieto
Text book questions are sort of.. useless, they are a lot easier than the exam paper. Luckily there are plenty of past papers so you should use only those to practise. Also, older past papers are are easy as well, so not much help if you want to get an A. Try to do all the past papers from 2013 on perhaps? (obviously up to 2016) (if you're running out of time, start from 2014)

If you get an answer wrong make sure you go through the solution until you understand it 100%. Exam questions don't really reinvent themselves, they might ask some new bits and pieces but all in all it will be the same thing worded differently with different numbers.

What are your difficulties with those topics? I got an A in S1 and now I'm doing S2.

Thank you :smile:

I struggle with questions which mix normal distribution and probability together.

I struggle with questions which mix normal distribution and probability together.

Why do you think that is?

Can you tell me a specific example (ie an exam question :biggrin:) in details and try to identify exactly what you don't understand? You can look at the mark scheme and copy the line that's not clear for you.

Spoiler

Hi I am doing s1 as well , how prepared are u for the exam ? Have u done all the papers ? If not how many?
physicsandmathstutor probably has a lot of stuff for S1

Quick Reply

Latest