The Student Room Group

I'm aiming/going to UCL, now, how do i get a job?

hi, i'm currently in year 13, and i got an offer from UCL which is quite doable, and unless i mess up something very badly, i don't think i'm gonig to miss the grades

now, i got a maintaince loan of 10,000 and that's alot due to my family circumstances, but the fact is that it is going to go all into the accomadation fees, and so, i need to be able to find a job

now, problem is that i've never actually worked at a paid job, i have confidence that i'll manage, but i have no work history, so i don't know what to do

exams are close, so i can't get a part itme now, but right after exams, i'm doing an intern until 16th august...... how am i suppose to rack up a job experience to write on my CV before i go uni? because london is not an easy place to get a part time, especially when i'm asian, not that people are racist, but alot of big companies (namingly waitrose) do like to hire a look

now, how can i go into uni, and be able to find a part time so that i can eat?

please help!!!
Original post by 1832vin
hi, i'm currently in year 13, and i got an offer from UCL which is quite doable, and unless i mess up something very badly, i don't think i'm gonig to miss the grades

now, i got a maintaince loan of 10,000 and that's alot due to my family circumstances, but the fact is that it is going to go all into the accomadation fees, and so, i need to be able to find a job

now, problem is that i've never actually worked at a paid job, i have confidence that i'll manage, but i have no work history, so i don't know what to do

exams are close, so i can't get a part itme now, but right after exams, i'm doing an intern until 16th august...... how am i suppose to rack up a job experience to write on my CV before i go uni? because london is not an easy place to get a part time, especially when i'm asian, not that people are racist, but alot of big companies (namingly waitrose) do like to hire a look

please help!!!

What's your internship? If it's in an office, you should be able to get some temp work in admin. I would also suggest finding your local NHS Trust and signing up to their temporary staff bank as they will be able to offer admin work also.

If you just want a retail job don't worry about experience, I worked in Waitrose with no previous experience. Also, I wouldn't worry about being Asian - the Waitrose I worked in was in London and we had lots of Asian staff! If you have a beard that will be an issue and they will ask you to remove it but it's their policy for all staff, a white guy I worked with always had to go in the loos to shave it off.

Anyways if you've got good grades and an internship you shouldn't have any trouble finding a part time job, especially in London
Original post by 1832vin

please help!!!

Couldnt you work part time alongside your internship (depending on what hours you are there)
Reply 3
ugh.... that's the bitter part

i tried alot of of firms in london and just for curiosity, also tried a firm in asia

and you know what? only the one from asia replied, and i have to fly back......
i don't even know would it count, and also, apperently, the place i'm going, chance of finding a part time job a part time job there is even higher than finding a proper job here.....
Original post by 1832vin
ugh.... that's the bitter part

i tried alot of of firms in london and just for curiosity, also tried a firm in asia

and you know what? only the one from asia replied, and i have to fly back......
i don't even know would it count, and also, apperently, the place i'm going, chance of finding a part time job a part time job there is even higher than finding a proper job here.....

It would definitely still 'count'. Any office or work experience will help you get a part time job here :smile:
UCL has quite a few opportunities for employment too. Go the Careers service office on your first days or even before term starts if you can and ask to see what there are - most of the bars and cafes are staffed by students, and there's loads of administrative jobs like tour guiding etc around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending