The Student Room Group

Desktop and laptop at uni?

So I'm currently Year 13, hoping to study Computer Science at Birmingham next year.
I have a desktop at home with dual monitors that I've had for the past three years and it's great for doing work and gaming on.
I'm thinking of getting a mid-range laptop in the summer for doing programming and work on when I'm not in halls.
I'm aware it will be a bit of a faff transporting it to and from halls but that will onky be at the start and end of the year.
Is this a practical plan? Also what is security like (I don't want stuff to get stolen)?
Totally practical! Might be worth checking that your laptop will be covered by your parents' household insurance. As long as you're careful, the risk of it being stolen is reduced to someone taking it if you leave it unattended (do not walk off from it in the library!! You won't believe how many people do this, it's so silly....) or someone mugging you (so always avoid dark alleyways, not trying to scare you!) Always lock your room when you leave for more than a 10 mins and count your bags when you leave a public spot. Enjoy university!
Its fine and essential if you wnat to carry on gaming.

Get insurance.
Original post by Jamuk
So I'm currently Year 13, hoping to study Computer Science at Birmingham next year.
I have a desktop at home with dual monitors that I've had for the past three years and it's great for doing work and gaming on.
I'm thinking of getting a mid-range laptop in the summer for doing programming and work on when I'm not in halls.
I'm aware it will be a bit of a faff transporting it to and from halls but that will onky be at the start and end of the year.
Is this a practical plan? Also what is security like (I don't want stuff to get stolen)?

I'm in the exact same situation(bolded) lol. I recall that on the applicant day they mentioned some type of insurance you can get in the halls for £50 a year which covers everything. although I need to look more into it. I'm planning on taking my whole setup (not sure if i should take both monitions) and then buying a laptop to carry around in a backpack around campus with good battery life, portability and an SSD.
Every student I talked to on the applicant day suggested I get a latpop.
Reply 4
Original post by Des_Lumières
Totally practical! Might be worth checking that your laptop will be covered by your parents' household insurance. As long as you're careful, the risk of it being stolen is reduced to someone taking it if you leave it unattended (do not walk off from it in the library!! You won't believe how many people do this, it's so silly....) or someone mugging you (so always avoid dark alleyways, not trying to scare you!) Always lock your room when you leave for more than a 10 mins and count your bags when you leave a public spot. Enjoy university!

Thanks for the advice! Reassuring to know that it's (probably) within my control whether or not it gets stolen! :tongue:

Original post by Aydin7
I'm in the exact same situation(bolded) lol. I recall that on the applicant day they mentioned some type of insurance you can get in the halls for £50 a year which covers everything. although I need to look more into it. I'm planning on taking my whole setup (not sure if i should take both monitions) and then buying a laptop to carry around in a backpack around campus with good battery life, portability and an SSD.
Every student I talked to on the applicant day suggested I get a latpop.

Haha, hopefully see you there then! :wink: How much were you thinking of spending on your laptop? That insurance sounds pretty handy, have you got any more information about it?
Original post by Jamuk
x

Yeah man, have you decided on accommodation?
I've found this link and this one. I presume this is included in accommodation costs?
As for laptop, I won't buy until the September back to school deals, probably looking at the £700-£1000 price range, the dell XPS 13 looks like a contender
Reply 6
Original post by Aydin7
Yeah man, have you decided on accommodation?
I've found this link and this one. I presume this is included in accommodation costs?
As for laptop, I won't buy until the September back to school deals, probably looking at the £700-£1000 price range, the dell XPS 13 looks like a contender

Yeah I've gone self-catered, shared bathroom mainly (Maple Bank, Oakley Court, Tennis Courts), what about you?
Ah cheers for the links I don't know if it's covered, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Yeah I was going to see the deals as well, my price range is a tad lower than yours haha :biggrin:
I'm trying to see if I can find a good i5 for around £400 :tongue:
That Dell looks pretty neat though mate
Original post by Jamuk
Yeah I've gone self-catered, shared bathroom mainly (Maple Bank, Oakley Court, Tennis Courts), what about you?
Ah cheers for the links I don't know if it's covered, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Yeah I was going to see the deals as well, my price range is a tad lower than yours haha :biggrin:
I'm trying to see if I can find a good i5 for around £400 :tongue:
That Dell looks pretty neat though mate

Not sorted accommodation out yet, gonna have to use the room tours to see what the desks are like haha. Probably will go for somewhere in the Vale.

tbh i'll just get whatever laptop is the best value/deal lol
I'd say sell it and invest a little more in a small, high spec laptop. With today's technology you can get the same performance but much greater portability and lower power usage for not much more than an equivalent desktop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending