The Student Room Group

Trapezium Rule Question

Hi there, we have just started the Trapezium Rule in class and I have tried to complete some extra questions at home for revision. However I have attempted one and got the wrong answer. If someone could show me the working out I would appreciate it. Thanks .

'Use the Trapezium Rule with ordinates at x=1, x=2 and x=3 to estimate the value of ∫(top 3, bottom 1) √40-x^3 dx'
Original post by garethhines
Hi there, we have just started the Trapezium Rule in class and I have tried to complete some extra questions at home for revision. However I have attempted one and got the wrong answer. If someone could show me the working out I would appreciate it. Thanks .

'Use the Trapezium Rule with ordinates at x=1, x=2 and x=3 to estimate the value of ∫(top 3, bottom 1) √40-x^3 dx'

What did you try?
Reply 2

As above, mind showing us a picture of your working? :smile:
Reply 3
Just followed the steps I had done before. I'm normally great at making glaring errors though haha. Thanks again in advance.
Just followed the steps I had done before. I'm normally great at making glaring errors though haha. Thanks again in advance.

You have the strip number wrong. If we are using 3 values, we have 2 strips (draw a graph and you will see that you have 2 trapeziums).
Reply 5
Original post by 16Characters....
You have the strip number wrong. If we are using 3 values, we have 2 strips (draw a graph and you will see that you have 2 trapeziums).

So what is it I am changing?
Reply 6

Your hh should be h=312=1h = \frac{3-1}{2} = 1.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Your hh should be h=312=1h = \frac{3-1}{2} = 1.

Oh okay, i get that now.

That's great. Thank you both for your help!
Reply 8

If you draw a sketch like this all the time, it is invaluable. hh is the number of strips you have, and if you have three numbers, you get two strips, as below:

Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
If you draw a sketch like this all the time, it is invaluable. hh is the number of strips you have, and if you have three numbers, you get two strips, as below:

Would the curve have to be exact or just a sketch?
Reply 10
Would the curve have to be exact or just a sketch?

Just any random sketch, the curve I drew is some random piece of crap I drew up in paint, it doesn't look anything like the actual graph but it's just there to remind me of how many strips there are.
Reply 11
Original post by Zacken
Just any random sketch, the curve I drew is some random piece of crap I drew up in paint, it doesn't look anything like the actual graph but it's just there to remind me of how many strips there are.

Ah great, I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks again for your help.
Reply 12
Ah great, I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest