The Student Room Group

psychology.

does anyone know how the job market is like for psychology students? i, myself am interested in study psychology (decided to go for it as i "interested in it" and also i used to have regular meetings with my own psychologists; been inspired from this.) this upcoming october. however, i've read quite a few posts here on tsr and now i feel uneasy about the whole career. i know that it's competitive (what job isn't nowadays(?)) and it takes hard work, but i just don't know what to do. i know for a fact that i want to work for the nhs. could someone please enlighten me on this topic? any current students studying this subject that are regretting/regretted taking the subject? and how was your experience like?

thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by cucumberhater
does anyone know how the job market is like for psychology students? i, myself am interested in study psychology (decided to go for it as i "interested in it" and also i used to have regular meetings with my own psychologists; been inspired from this.) this upcoming october. however, i've read quite a few posts here on tsr and now i feel uneasy about the whole career. i know that it's competitive (what job isn't nowadays(?)) and it takes hard work, but i just don't know what to do. i know for a fact that i want to work for the nhs. could someone please enlighten me on this topic? any current students studying this subject that are regretting/regretted taking the subject? and how was your experience like?

thanks. :smile:

NHS
Reply 2

thanks.

It is pretty tricky. If you want to go into clinical psychology you will be expected to take a masters after your undergraduate degree. Maybe even a PhD is required to go further down that path, I'm not entirely sure. But either way you have to commit to post-graduate education. I have friends from my year going down this path and I'm sure they will do well.

It's good that you are thinking about career options. I too was interested in psychology before my degree, but I never really considered career options. I'm now pursuing law.
Reply 3

thanks.

What kind of role would you want at the NHS?

If you aspire to be a Clinical Psychologist for the NHS you'd need to do the BSc, then gain a lot of relevant volunteering and assistant psychologist work before applying to a Clinical Psychology Doctorate, which is very competitive.

You could also apply for a Counselling Psychology Doctorate, but as far as I know, it's likely you'd have to pay directly for such doctorate, where as the Clinical Psychology Doctorate is funded by the NHS.
Original post by Neptuner
It is pretty tricky. If you want to go into clinical psychology you will be expected to take a masters after your undergraduate degree. Maybe even a PhD is required to go further down that path, I'm not entirely sure. But either way you have to commit to post-graduate education. I have friends from my year going down this path and I'm sure they will do well.

It's good that you are thinking about career options. I too was interested in psychology before my degree, but I never really considered career options. I'm now pursuing law.

Law? Wow! What made you choose Law??
Reply 5
Law? Wow! What made you choose Law??

It was a combination of personal interest and career prospects. I've known a handful of other psychology graduates who have done, or are doing the same. Doing psychology first has just meant that it's a longer (and more expensive) route!

Quick Reply

Latest