The Student Room Group

What grades do you need at AS to get offered a place at a Russell Group University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by claireestelle
You'd need as high grades as possible especially as many medicine applicants would have AAA at AS, AAB might be sufficent for pharmacy and chemistry but depends on the university. Have you got a range of work experience sorted?

Thank you. Yeah, I have done work experience's at Lloyds Pharmacy and also the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I have also done volunteering for the past 2 years of helping to bring the elderly and disabled to Church.
Only a couple Russel Group unis are really competitive. The majority will give offers to people with B's or even C's at AS.
Original post by JGang
How is Chemistry, do you find it interesting? What career do you plan to use it for?

I do find it interesting, Organic being the most interesting.
It is very hard though but if you can keep a passion for it you'll be fine.

Career wise,
I will either do a PhD after and go into research.
Or If i decide i've had enough after my degree I will go into finance and get a training contract (not decided what field yet).
Tbf you can do anything with a Chemistry degree so I have a lot of options.
Original post by JGang
Most Russell Group universities want AAB or higher at A level, what grades would you need at AS to realistically get an offer?

Also, what do Universities take into account more, AS grades or Predicted Grades?

P.S One of my friends got BCCE at AS, and has been offered a place at Leeds University to study Economics, when their entry requirements is AAA at A level.

I know someone who got BBDU and got a Maths offer from Warwick.
I got BBC and got offers for ABB/AAB
This thread makes me happy haha, do you think it'll be likely bristol and manchester would give an ABC/AAC offer out for history and politics, bearing in mind that my college is contextually so the entry requirements are lower :tongue:
Original post by Brettmulrennan
This thread makes me happy haha, do you think it'll be likely bristol and manchester would give an ABC/AAC offer out for history and politics, bearing in mind that my college is contextually so the entry requirements are lower :tongue:

depends.

how old are you and how good is your personal statement.

people seem to forget that when a person is applying, your factors aren't just your AS grades. Your personal statement is also extremely important
Original post by Truthteller10
depends.

how old are you and how good is your personal statement.

people seem to forget that when a person is applying, your factors aren't just your AS grades. Your personal statement is also extremely important

I'm 17, and my history teacher said you don't need any work experience for history at uni , but I don't think that's true and I'm unsure of what to do :/
I know someone who got ADDU and got offers from all of his choices, and 4 out of 5 of them were russell group.
I'm 17, and my history teacher said you don't need any work experience for history at uni , but I don't think that's true and I'm unsure of what to do :/

Personal statement, not work experience darling.
Original post by Truthteller10
Personal statement, not work experience darling.

Oh sorry haha all that revision turning me into a retard :wink: and I haven't started it still in as

You don't necessarily need work experience for History, but it's useful to have! I worked at a museum for mine and it really helped in my personal statement. I feel like it's more important to have wider reading outside of the A-Level syllabus instead, though.
I applied to Biomedical Science with BCDE at AS and predicted grades of AAA, and I got offers from Manchester and Queen Mary (plus 3 other non-Russell Groups). :smile:
Original post by Louisb19
I know someone who got BBDU and got a Maths offer from Warwick.

Warwick gives offers to almost all of its Maths applicants. I think it actually gave offers to 100% of its applicants one year...
Original post by JGang
Most Russell Group universities want AAB or higher at A level, what grades would you need at AS to realistically get an offer?

Also, what do Universities take into account more, AS grades or Predicted Grades?

P.S One of my friends got BCCE at AS, and has been offered a place at Leeds University to study Economics, when their entry requirements is AAA at A level.

Originally, I got ACDC in my AS, retook some and dropped the one I got a D in. I got interviewed at Oxford for PPE, and I'm now going to Bristol In September to study Economics and Accountancy :smile: So any grades, but now, predicted grades (in the subjects that are linear) will be more important, that and your personal statement :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Gapyearstudent54
Originally, I got ACDC in my AS, retook some and dropped the one I got a D in. I got interviewed at Oxford for PPE, and I'm now going to Bristol In September to study Economics and Accountancy :smile: So any grades, but now, predicted grades (in the subjects that are linear) will be more important, that and your personal statement :smile:

What were the subjects you were taking at AS and what was the subject you dropped?
Original post by Rajive
What were the subjects you were taking at AS and what was the subject you dropped?

Maths, English and physics I did for A2, and I dropped politics after getting a D at AS. But I did up my grades a lot for A2, getting As in all but one of my A2 papers and retaking some of the AS ones and getting As in them too :smile:
Original post by JGang

I got ABC at AS plus EEUU from a failed attempt at year 12 and got offers from 2 RG universities :tongue: Cardiff told me they go more on predicted grades but if you have a large difference between AS & Predicted grades they might question why and find it a bit odd.
I got CCDU at AS and BBC at A2 (predictions were BCC) and got an unconditional offer from Uni of Sheffield for a BBB course.
Got BBB second time round and got accepted for law at Sheffield uni. Many of the universities are expanding and when they build new student accommodation then they become more lax with grade requirements aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending