The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ibte10
Do you have the Mark Scheme? Also do you know the name of the passage and the question?

Passage A oliver jones and the mark scheme shuld be there too online
Reply 361
Original post by ellamoon_22
Passage A oliver jones and the mark scheme shuld be there too online

Ah darn it i have already done this one. Oh well.
What's the difference between a talk and speech? What's the difference between an article a report?
Original post by ibte10
Ah darn it i have already done this one. Oh well.

Hahah
Is it true if you do a good job of q2, you can get 5 extra marks. Meaning the papers actually out of 55
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 365
Original post by exoexo13
What's the difference between a talk and speech? What's the difference between an article a report?

By talk do you mean dialogue? - Dialogues are dependent on Character's voice. 4 TO 5 SENTENCES EACH AND NO STAGE DIRECTIONS.
A speech is formal but with the character's voice, you have to use the rhetoric.

A 'Formal' report- e.g. School inspection. Character's voice is not crucial, however their opinions on relevant issues need to be shown.

An artice/ Newspaper Report - Need to use 5Ws What? Who? When? Where ?Why , brief quotes from eye witness. Interesting, like in the news.

Hope that helps.
For question 1 how many do u read the passage and how long do u write for?
Mr bruff says he takes 25 to read and plan cause u need to think of development etc i think ill do 15 monutes then 30 to actually write so ill read the passage like three times to find all thr implict meaning etc
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ellamoon_22
For question 1 how many do u read the passage and how long do u write for?
Mr bruff says he takes 25 to read and plan cause u need to think of development etc i think ill do 15 monutes then 30 to actually write so ill read the passage like three times to find all thr implict meaning etc

I personally am doing in order. So for Question 1 I am spending 10 minutes planning and 35 minutes writing it out. Question 2 - 30 minutes and Question 3 - 40 minutes and 5 minutes checking through.
Reply 368
Original post by tamanna___
Hi guys, in our school the teachers dont like to estimate how many marks you would need to get a grade, so can you guys please tell me?
I got 26/30 in speaking and 45/50 in coursework, so thats 71/130 already.. Approximately how many more marks would i need for an A*?:smile:

about 40, remember that the syllabus is out of 125 and your speaking will be put down to a mark out of 25.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since an interview hasn't been asked for in a while, does anyone have any tips on writing one?
I don't suppose there is much structure since you are given the questions, but what kind of style are you supposed to write in? e.g. is the voice of the character more important or what they say
Everyone should really stop worrying about grade boundaries - knowing them will not help you.

Thought I'd simplify the exam for anyone trying to cram, like myself. Note: word limit only matters for 3b.

Q1: 20 marks, advised 50 minutes (15 min plan, 35 min writing)
- familiarise yourself with newspaper, journal, interview styles of writing (tldr: keep it formal, no slang y'know - did that seem forced?)
- you will be asked to write about 3 bullet points. 1 bullet point = 1 paragraph. The 3rd is the most important and examiners (I have been told) will cap you at a lower mark if you fail to develop this bullet sufficiently -as it requires the most inference from text.
- for every bullet point, you want to have 5-6 developed points (in your plan, do a table with 3 columns for each bullet point, and 5-6 developed points in each column)
- if you dont value your sanity too highly, take 3 highlighters to the exam and for each bullet point, use a different colour!
- base clearly on text BUT own words

Q2: 10 marks, advised 30 minutes (5 min plan, 25 min writing)
- for both paragraphs it asks you to analyse, you want 4 different short phrases or words to describe -highlight at your leisure.
- always have a "general effect" intro for each paragraph. - "The writer describes the X as Y - find examples in mark schemes.
- formula: IDENTIFY PHRASE(quote it) + BASIC EXPLANATION(define) + CONNOTATION (effect) - also mention technique used if appropriate -
e.g.
The phrase "gold fever" refers to the catching of an illness, which in this case appears to be caused directly by the gold. Metaphorically comparing the hunt for gold to an illness highlights the addictive nature of panning and suggests the workers did so in a hurried, excitable and almost manic manner.

Q3: 20 marks, advised 35 minutes
A) 15 points. Not too long, use key words (don't lift whole sentences). Make sure each point is unique. HIGHLIGHT 'EM AS YOU READ PASSAGE (none will be spared from your highlighting wrath)

B) Word limit matters (250-300). *VERY IMPORTANT: YOU MUST REORGANISE POINTS FROM (A) INTO LOGICAL GROUPS*. Each group = 1 paragraph (for added clarity). MUST USE OWN WORDS (except for very specific stuff). Make it flow nice bruh, and don't feel the need to add in any of your own content (because English isn't creative, remember?)

5 minutes at the end to check for error in spelling, punctuation, grammar, lifestyle choices.

If you need anything clarified, hit me up.
DONTSWEATIT
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DontSweatIt
Everyone should really stop worrying about grade boundaries - knowing them will not help you.

Thought I'd simplify the exam for anyone trying to cram, like myself. Note: word limit only matters for 3b.

Q1: 20 marks, advised 50 minutes (15 min plan, 35 min writing)
- familiarise yourself with newspaper, journal, interview styles of writing (tldr: keep it formal, no slang y'know - did that seem forced?)
- you will be asked to write about 3 bullet points. 1 bullet point = 1 paragraph. The 3rd is the most important and examiners (I have been told) will cap you at a lower mark if you fail to develop this bullet sufficiently -as it requires the most inference from text.
- for every bullet point, you want to have 5-6 developed points (in your plan, do a table with 3 columns for each bullet point, and 5-6 developed points in each column)
- if you dont value your sanity too highly, take 3 highlighters to the exam and for each bullet point, use a different colour!
- base clearly on text BUT own words

Q2: 10 marks, advised 30 minutes (5 min plan, 25 min writing)
- for both paragraphs it asks you to analyse, you want 4 different short phrases or words to describe -highlight at your leisure.
- always have a "general effect" intro for each paragraph. - "The writer describes the X as Y - find examples in mark schemes.
- formula: IDENTIFY PHRASE(quote it) + BASIC EXPLANATION(define) + CONNOTATION (effect) - also mention technique used if appropriate -
e.g.
The phrase "gold fever" refers to the catching of an illness, which in this case appears to be caused directly by the gold. Metaphorically comparing the hunt for gold to an illness highlights the addictive nature of panning and suggests the workers did so in a hurried, excitable and almost manic manner.

Q3: 20 marks, advised 35 minutes
A) 15 points. Not too long, use key words (don't lift whole sentences). Make sure each point is unique. HIGHLIGHT 'EM AS YOU READ PASSAGE (none will be spared from your highlighting wrath)

B) Word limit matters (250-300). *VERY IMPORTANT: YOU MUST REORGANISE POINTS FROM (A) INTO LOGICAL GROUPS*. Each group = 1 paragraph (for added clarity). MUST USE OWN WORDS (except for very specific stuff). Make it flow nice bruh, and don't feel the need to add in any of your own content (because English isn't creative, remember?)

5 minutes at the end to check for error in spelling, punctuation, grammar, lifestyle choices.

If you need anything clarified, hit me up.
DONTSWEATIT

What if I go under the word count for 3b? I can sum up 15 points with 150 words.
My teacher/internet are all vague on this. How can you be concise and still get within the word count range?

Answer is, I haven't a clue. In my mock, I did about 175 and got full marks, so I can only assume that 150 would just about cut it? Try stretching it out a bit, but don't start writing irrelevant stuff outside of your 15 points from 3a in order to reach a higher word count. As long as it looks about 3/4 - 1 page, you'll be fine.
Original post by DontSweatIt
My teacher/internet are all vague on this. How can you be concise and still get within the word count range?

Answer is, I haven't a clue. In my mock, I did about 175 and got full marks, so I can only assume that 150 would just about cut it? Try stretching it out a bit, but don't start writing irrelevant stuff outside of your 15 points from 3a in order to reach a higher word count. As long as it looks about 3/4 - 1 page, you'll be fine.

Ok kl ty :smile:. Good luck in ur exam btw.
Original post by X_Hope_X
Hello, I completed my IGCSE English language in November. It's a tough paper to be comletely honest ( not Trying to scare you ) Good luck and all the best for that exam :smile: the grade boundaries goes up in 10 so 90= A* and 80=A and so on ...

How much did you get
Can the development for the points on question 1 be just a sentence or two for each point?
Original post by ad4m
about 40, remember that the syllabus is out of 125 and your speaking will be put down to a mark out of 25.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really, its out of 25? My teachers all said its out of 30
What do u guys want question 1 to be?? I kinda want a letter, newspaper or journal
Would anyone be able to look at a past paper I did? It's the fisherman one
in school ive done all the past papers so what should i do to revise now

Quick Reply

Latest