The Student Room Group

What if everyone met their medicine offer?

In the EXTREMELY rare (almost impossible case) where every person met their offer what would happen? for medicine they offer 100-300 more offers than spaces available - but what would happen if all of these people met their offer? Would they be forced to intake a huge number of people?

Scroll to see replies

Normally Uni's have measures in place to prevent this from happening. It has happened however that there are more offers than spaces. Typically Uni's ask or offer financial incentive for people to defer like £1000's but they would be obliged to take them on.
Reply 2
Don't forget that some of the people that get an offer will decline as they get an offer elsewhere, it's not just grade dependent. Apparently at Leeds a few years ago more people accepted the offer than they expected, so people were squashed in for lectures and they got a fine-they don't over-offer by that much nowadays though.
They'd have to deal with it in whatever way they could.

Most of that is people declining rather than missed grades. Unis that people don't turn down frequently only over-offer by small margin.
more doctors, better rate of pay/working time/ quality of their life and the care they provide! If the chancellor can find money for shoddy propaganda leaflets, wars and foreign aid; which inevitably goes into the hands of dictators and wealthy elites, then Im sure he could budget more medical school places and wages for junior doctors. :smile:
They would study in sheds
The uni gets fined and has to pool more resources into the facilities to make them stretch.
Grade boundaries and entrance requirements would go up the following year to make it harder.
I'm sure many people would drop out due to the course being far too full and feeling like they arent being catered for. The uni might lose some of its reputation.
Reply 7
Original post by honestly
more doctors, better rate of pay/working time/ quality of their life and the care they provide! If the chancellor can find money for shoddy propaganda leaflets, wars and foreign aid; which inevitably goes into the hands of dictators and wealthy elites, then Im sure he could budget more medical school places and wages for junior doctors. :smile:

:rofl:

Yes, because wages for junior doctors are doing really well at the moment, and not in any way under threat.
Original post by Helenia
:rofl:

Yes, because wages for junior doctors are doing really well at the moment, and not in any way under threat.

I thought that not long after posting, wages for juniors and even trainees is very good! :wink:
Reply 9
I thought that not long after posting, wages for juniors and even trainees is very good! :wink:

Trainees and juniors are the same thing.

The wages are reasonable, but if you haven't noticed, the government is trying to rewrite the contract for junior doctors which is NOT going to improve pay or conditions.
Uni are pretty skillful these days at not over offering. they can always fill up through clearing or raising the offer grades.
Original post by Helenia
Trainees and juniors are the same thing.

The wages are reasonable, but if you haven't noticed, the government is trying to rewrite the contract for junior doctors which is NOT going to improve pay or conditions.

I know.
I know.

Then why make two posts which make you sound totally ignorant of the whole situation?
Reply 13
Original post by Helenia
Then why make two posts which make you sound totally ignorant of the whole situation?

In fairness, the salary is still pretty good - £29kish is nothing to scoff at. Plus, a junior doctor will still eventually be pulling in up to almost £70k.
Original post by Jackso
In fairness, the salary is still pretty good - £29kish is nothing to scoff at. Plus, a junior doctor will still eventually be pulling in up to almost £70k.

This is all true, and I acknowledged it above. But imagining that more people getting into medical school will lead to "better rate of pay/working time/ quality of their life and the care they provide!" or "Im sure he could budget more medical school places and wages for junior doctors" in the current political climate is, erm, unlikely.
Original post by 999tigger
Uni are pretty skillful these days at not over offering. they can always fill up through clearing or raising the offer grades.

Pretty sure nowhere gives medicine places through clearing.
Original post by not you

If they had a significant shortfall, then they wouldnt have an option. They have a lot of experience in getting it right through not over or under offering. The OPs scenario isn't likely to happen.
Original post by 999tigger
If they had a significant shortfall, then they wouldnt have an option. They have a lot of experience in getting it right through not over or under offering. The OPs scenario isn't likely to happen.

well I doubt they would fill up empty spaces through clearing though, they would probably just send rejected applicants (who had interviews) offers instead of accepting people who haven't had any form of interview
Original post by not you

Ahem, my offer 3 years ago:

Capture.JPG
Original post by Asklepios
Ahem, my offer 3 years ago:

Capture.JPG

oh cool, did you apply through clearing? or did they give you the place via clearing after a first rejection, like the waiting list thing they have?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending