The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by tamanna___
Really, its out of 25? My teachers all said its out of 30

your original mark will be out of 30 yes. but remember that speaking is 20% and the others are 40%, which is double 20.
so the weighted speaking mark has to be half the weighted paper mark. this is why the paper and coursework stay out of 50 and the speaking goes to 25. otherwise the speaking would be worth more. it happens to everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 381
Original post by exoexo13
Would anyone be able to look at a past paper I did? It's the fisherman one

might be able to, quite familiar with that paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hello8888
in school ive done all the past papers so what should i do to revise now

For me I'm just going over the skills for each question and what to not do and do in each question
Original post by Starlight15
For me I'm just going over the skills for each question and what to not do and do in each question

what grade are you aiming for?
How would you go about answering Question 1 in detail? Is a starter and conclusion required, if so, what might that be? If it's a newspaper article and your interviewing someone, do you have to format it as if you was having a conversation and the interviewer asking questions?
Reply 385
Original post by Lucky10
How would you go about answering Question 1 in detail? Is a starter and conclusion required, if so, what might that be? If it's a newspaper article and your interviewing someone, do you have to format it as if you was having a conversation and the interviewer asking questions?

Personally, I would just use the opener that they give you and go straight into bp1 in a new paragraph. This is because you won't receive any marks for an introduction (it may boost your writing mark, but if the rest of the article is well spelt and sequenced it doesn't matter). The bullet points are most important. In the mark scheme there are three things you need to do to get a good mark on Q1. Point, Detail and then Development. So whenever you give a point you need to give specific details about it from the passage and then develop these points (implied meaning). As with a conclusion, maybe but nothing over 1 or 2 sentences. As for the interview, if you want to use quotes in an article then do, but do not make them too long or sidetrack from the bullet points. However, examiners want to see extra detail but don't go off on a tangent. Ps. a newspaper report was last years format so might not come up this year. Good luck!
Original post by ad4m
Personally, I would just use the opener that they give you and go straight into bp1 in a new paragraph. This is because you won't receive any marks for an introduction (it may boost your writing mark, but if the rest of the article is well spelt and sequenced it doesn't matter). The bullet points are most important. In the mark scheme there are three things you need to do to get a good mark on Q1. Point, Detail and then Development. So whenever you give a point you need to give specific details about it from the passage and then develop these points (implied meaning). As with a conclusion, maybe but nothing over 1 or 2 sentences. As for the interview, if you want to use quotes in an article then do, but do not make them too long or sidetrack from the bullet points. However, examiners want to see extra detail but don't go off on a tangent. Ps. a newspaper report was last years format so might not come up this year. Good luck!

Thank you, what text do you think it be, as in a letter home.... etc
Reply 387
Original post by Lucky10
Thank you, what text do you think it be, as in a letter home.... etc

Many are saying it could be a formal report. I think it could be an interview but a letter is my best bet.
I'm so nervous it's tomorrow!! What are the key things that I include? And how do I get most of the marks?
How do I go about Account Writing? I haven't really practiced it much.
Original post by ad4m
Many are saying it could be a formal report. I think it could be an interview but a letter is my best bet.

What do you need for a formal report? Any layout? Also, for Question 2 do i need an overview and does it matter where i put it eg start or end
Reply 391
Original post by Lucky10
What do you need for a formal report? Any layout? Also, for Question 2 do i need an overview and does it matter where i put it eg start or end

Formal report is a very difficult one. You need to write from a more formal perspective than a newspaper report for example. This means that ideas need to be more justified. I don't think it will come up though!

For Q2 you need an overview. To get 10/10 follow this simple structure:

Overview of paragraph 1

Word 1
Dictionary Definition of word 1
Effect of word 1 in context
[repeat for 4 words in paragraph 1]

repeat whole thing for 4 words in paragraph 2

Many people might think that explorative and randomly sequenced versions will get you 10/10. But no, if you write this like an english literature essay you will get about 4/6 marks depending on how good it is. The examiner is simply looking for the structure above. However, the reason why this is very difficult to get is because its hard to get the same effect as the mark scheme!
By looking at the past papers of both summer and winter series I have the strongest feeling that question 1 will be a formal report. Can anyone suggest report-like words to use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad4m
Formal report is a very difficult one. You need to write from a more formal perspective than a newspaper report for example. This means that ideas need to be more justified. I don't think it will come up though!

Overview of paragraph 1

Word 1

Many people might think that explorative and randomly sequenced versions will get you 10/10. But no, if you write this like an english literature essay you will get about 4/6 marks depending on how good it is. The examiner is simply looking for the structure above. However, the reason why this is very difficult to get is because its hard to get the same effect as the mark scheme!

Okay thanks for this, Do know for Q3 and if it asks to do the 15 bullet points for the two texts and when you summarise it won't it be disjointed
Original post by ad4m

Overview of paragraph 1

Word 1

Okay thanks for this, Do know for Q3 and if it asks to do the 15 bullet points for the two texts and when you summarise it won't it be disjointed
Original post by 123Master321
Can the development for the points on question 1 be just a sentence or two for each point?

Yeah, that's right.
Reply 396
Original post by Lucky10

Question 3 is only about Passage B, just one text!

Sometimes the question for Question 3 will be in 2 parts. For example: How is a bird adapted and what threatens its existence? or sometimes there will be 1 part. For example: What are the benefits of learning a new language?

Write your summary in continuous form, you can decide personally if you want to write it all as one paragraph or as 2 smaller ones.
Original post by DontSweatIt
Everyone should really stop worrying about grade boundaries - knowing them will not help you.

Thought I'd simplify the exam for anyone trying to cram, like myself. Note: word limit only matters for 3b.

Q1: 20 marks, advised 50 minutes (15 min plan, 35 min writing)
- familiarise yourself with newspaper, journal, interview styles of writing (tldr: keep it formal, no slang y'know - did that seem forced?)
- you will be asked to write about 3 bullet points. 1 bullet point = 1 paragraph. The 3rd is the most important and examiners (I have been told) will cap you at a lower mark if you fail to develop this bullet sufficiently -as it requires the most inference from text.
- for every bullet point, you want to have 5-6 developed points (in your plan, do a table with 3 columns for each bullet point, and 5-6 developed points in each column)
- if you dont value your sanity too highly, take 3 highlighters to the exam and for each bullet point, use a different colour!
- base clearly on text BUT own words

Q2: 10 marks, advised 30 minutes (5 min plan, 25 min writing)
- for both paragraphs it asks you to analyse, you want 4 different short phrases or words to describe -highlight at your leisure.
- always have a "general effect" intro for each paragraph. - "The writer describes the X as Y - find examples in mark schemes.
- formula: IDENTIFY PHRASE(quote it) + BASIC EXPLANATION(define) + CONNOTATION (effect) - also mention technique used if appropriate -
e.g.
The phrase "gold fever" refers to the catching of an illness, which in this case appears to be caused directly by the gold. Metaphorically comparing the hunt for gold to an illness highlights the addictive nature of panning and suggests the workers did so in a hurried, excitable and almost manic manner.

Q3: 20 marks, advised 35 minutes
A) 15 points. Not too long, use key words (don't lift whole sentences). Make sure each point is unique. HIGHLIGHT 'EM AS YOU READ PASSAGE (none will be spared from your highlighting wrath)

B) Word limit matters (250-300). *VERY IMPORTANT: YOU MUST REORGANISE POINTS FROM (A) INTO LOGICAL GROUPS*. Each group = 1 paragraph (for added clarity). MUST USE OWN WORDS (except for very specific stuff). Make it flow nice bruh, and don't feel the need to add in any of your own content (because English isn't creative, remember?)

5 minutes at the end to check for error in spelling, punctuation, grammar, lifestyle choices.

If you need anything clarified, hit me up.
DONTSWEATIT

i spend about 20 mins planning for q1 as im quite a fast writer, is that alright?
also do i need to ask for additional paper to plan on
For Q1, my points are not always on the mark scheme, about 3 for each bullet point are, does this matter, will they still credit my response for the other points or do they rigidly adhere to the mark scheme?
Original post by ad4m
your original mark will be out of 30 yes. but remember that speaking is 20% and the others are 40%, which is double 20.
so the weighted speaking mark has to be half the weighted paper mark. this is why the paper and coursework stay out of 50 and the speaking goes to 25. otherwise the speaking would be worth more. it happens to everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh right yeah it makes sense now, thanks😊
What did you get in coursework and speaking and listening?

Quick Reply

Latest