The Student Room Group

What percentage of correct answers to get C or B in A-Level Biology?

Hello everybody

Long story short: as a backup plan to apply for university very soon, I registered myself for A-Level Biology, and started studying in February. I've finished the coursebook (actually, the CGP revision and practice books), which I understand quite well, although I don't remember a lot very precisely. I learn and remember much better as I review the material.

Since then I've been reviewing with all the videos I can find, re-reading notes, reading extra material etc.. First exams (units 3 and 6) start next week. I'm studying as much as my brain will allow, and I'm also finishing my math a-level study, and my final piece of university master's work. I may have been a bit rash in registering myself for the a-levels.

I'm not expecting a great mark, that would be unrealistic. But I'm curious what I would need to get right to achieve a C, possibly a B, if I'm lucky.

Does anyone know?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Check out the grade boundaries for your exam board for the last few years to get an idea of the mark you should be achieving for a C or B.

Just google your examboard and a level grade boundaries with the year and i should come up.
Reply 2
Original post by the81kid
Hello everybody

Long story short: as a backup plan to apply for university very soon, I registered myself for A-Level Biology, and started studying in February. I've finished the coursebook (actually, the CGP revision and practice books), which I understand quite well, although I don't remember a lot very precisely. I learn and remember much better as I review the material.

Since then I've been reviewing with all the videos I can find, re-reading notes, reading extra material etc.. First exams (units 3 and 6) start next week. I'm studying as much as my brain will allow, and I'm also finishing my math a-level study, and my final piece of university master's work. I may have been a bit rash in registering myself for the a-levels.

I'm not expecting a great mark, that would be unrealistic. But I'm curious what I would need to get right to achieve a C, possibly a B, if I'm lucky.

Does anyone know?

Thanks a lot in advance.

You're getting a C or B with that much work?! Wow I'm scared about A-levels now.
Hello everybody

Does anyone know?

Thanks a lot in advance.

There isn't a set percentage that you have to get, as it always goes up and down depending on the performance that year. As a rule of thumb, for end of topic assessments uses 70% for A, 60% for B, 50% for C etc at A2 level. Last year, the grade boundaries were 70% for A, 64% for a B, and 58% for a C.
Reply 4
You're doing enough of the basics and that's fine. But you will have to look at past papers forreal to even think about a B/C because unless you're familiar with the layout it can be soo hard to scrape a good mark.

For unit 3 and 6 my only advice would be make sure you're really good with your Unit 3 experiments because those come up in Unit 6. And also for Unit 6 learn your field techniques!! Go on Scribd and there's tonnes of practical coursework for A-level Biology. And for the last question in Unit 6 about improvements, make sure you learn the mark scheme for that since it's generic answers mostly.

But make sure you look at decay and rigor mortis and decomposition especially for Unit 4 they seem to love that :smile: and good luck!!
Reply 5
Original post by slaya
You're doing enough of the basics and that's fine. But you will have to look at past papers forreal to even think about a B/C because unless you're familiar with the layout it can be soo hard to scrape a good mark.

For unit 3 and 6 my only advice would be make sure you're really good with your Unit 3 experiments because those come up in Unit 6. And also for Unit 6 learn your field techniques!! Go on Scribd and there's tonnes of practical coursework for A-level Biology. And for the last question in Unit 6 about improvements, make sure you learn the mark scheme for that since it's generic answers mostly.

But make sure you look at decay and rigor mortis and decomposition especially for Unit 4 they seem to love that :smile: and good luck!!

Hey, thanks for the reply!
I'm reading through the Hodder book specifically for the unit 3 and 6 exams right now. I have a list of the core practical experiments, although I need to learn them a lot better. I've already downloaded a load of past papers, but haven't had time to give myself a timed exam. I've looked through a couple though, to check the format, general question types, check my knowledge generally.

Yes, the improvements part stuck out for me. I hope this book has some info on that, because i haven't found any specific information on it anywhere else.

Thanks for the advice about rigor mortis and decomposition! If a C is 50 or 58% I might be able to get that.
Reply 6
Original post by danuuutka
There isn't a set percentage that you have to get, as it always goes up and down depending on the performance that year. As a rule of thumb, for end of topic assessments uses 70% for A, 60% for B, 50% for C etc at A2 level. Last year, the grade boundaries were 70% for A, 64% for a B, and 58% for a C.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Those sound... doable, maybe. I consider myself relatively intelligent. My weakness is the processes (ATP production etc.), so asap I'm going to do as much as I can with those. A B would be nice, but I don't want to hope for that.
Reply 7
Original post by Manexopi
Check out the grade boundaries for your exam board for the last few years to get an idea of the mark you should be achieving for a C or B.

Just google your examboard and a level grade boundaries with the year and i should come up.

Hey, thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
Reply 8
Original post by _Xenon_
You're getting a C or B with that much work?! Wow I'm scared about A-levels now.

Hey
You think I'm studying a lot / too much??
Reply 9
Hey
You think I'm studying a lot / too much??

It sounds like it but why don't you get As or A*s?
Reply 10
Original post by _Xenon_
It sounds like it but why don't you get As or A*s?

Well the biology exams are basically a memory test, at least that's what they look like. And I don't know the material very well, and I'm also too nervous to study well : /
Well the biology exams are basically a memory test, at least that's what they look like. And I don't know the material very well, and I'm also too nervous to study well : /

Oh ok good luck
Note that the grade boundaries of this years exams are not out yet, and will come out later, but the boundaries don't really change more than 5% each year so just check 2015's and you get an estimate.
Reply 13
Original post by _Xenon_
Oh ok good luck

I'll do my best. Got a week til the first exam, and I've at least made good progress.
I'll do my best. Got a week til the first exam, and I've at least made good progress.

I want an A :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by JustANormalGuy
Note that the grade boundaries of this years exams are not out yet, and will come out later, but the boundaries don't really change more than 5% each year so just check 2015's and you get an estimate.

Thanks, I'll look them up. I'll take all the help I can get!
While this is not an answer to your question, I would say just do the best you can without worrying about how much you need to do or get right to get a particular grade.

Past papers will give you a rough idea (and you should do those anyway) but the grade boundaries change year on year, so there's no 'you need this % of questions to be right to get this mark'.

Good luck :h:
Reply 17
Original post by SeanFM
While this is not an answer to your question, I would say just do the best you can without worrying about how much you need to do or get right to get a particular grade.

Past papers will give you a rough idea (and you should do those anyway) but the grade boundaries change year on year, so there's no 'you need this % of questions to be right to get this mark'.

Good luck :h:

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to give myself a timed practice test today or tomorrow. I plan to do at least a couple before each exam. I'm getting a bit panicky now, although trying not do, because that's the worst way to study/practice.
Reply 18
Original post by _Xenon_
I want an A :frown:

I want a B. That's the most I could reasonably expect! But really I should expect a C. I may have been rash in signing up for this 3 months ago.

I recommend watching the Khan Academy video course. They're very good, although they give too much information for A-level biology, I think because they're for AP biology which is like (from what i've been able to find out) 1st year of university level in the usa. However, that's a good point for me. The context helps me to understand what I need to know for A-level biology, and then i only have to remember some of it. It doesn't seem to have ecology though, and there may be some other gaps. But overall it's very good, and i'm understanding the biology a lot more now i'm watching it (i'm about 1/4 of the way through the course).

And also watch Crash Course Biology. There's also a Crash Course Ecology(!). Generally they give a little less information, or maybe they just give it faster, than a-level biology. But they're very good for revision, and do help me understand the concepts better.

When are your exams?
I want a B. That's the most I could reasonably expect! But really I should expect a C. I may have been rash in signing up for this 3 months ago.

I recommend watching the Khan Academy video course. They're very good, although they give too much information for A-level biology, I think because they're for AP biology which is like (from what i've been able to find out) 1st year of university level in the usa. However, that's a good point for me. The context helps me to understand what I need to know for A-level biology, and then i only have to remember some of it. It doesn't seem to have ecology though, and there may be some other gaps. But overall it's very good, and i'm understanding the biology a lot more now i'm watching it (i'm about 1/4 of the way through the course).

And also watch Crash Course Biology. There's also a Crash Course Ecology(!). Generally they give a little less information, or maybe they just give it faster, than a-level biology. But they're very good for revision, and do help me understand the concepts better.

When are your exams?

May 17th

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending