The Student Room Group

You cannot choose to be from a country; hence it is pointless being patriotic.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Youngmetro
Yh, the bland and boring british culture, as i have already mentioned.

But you just said British culture didn't exist a minute ago? Make your mind up.
Original post by NickLCFC
But you just said British culture didn't exist a minute ago? Make your mind up.

Nothing worthy in your precious british culture for me to mention
What does not choosing where to be born have to do with being proud of one's culture. You will find that in every country, there is a group of people who believe their country is superior. I have no clue why people here are talking about the UK when US is wayyyyy worse in my opinion. Also China. I have no idea why you think China aren't nationalist-they're more so then Britain
People bashing British culture when we have as much culture as China, Japan, Germany and so on.

Ok :smile: I guess most popular sports ever invented aren't worthy of a mention?
Ok :smile: I guess most popular sports ever invented aren't worthy of a mention?

nah
Original post by Itsyaboy
There's no point in being patriotic.

Why would one want to be proud of being British or whatever your demonym is, because you did not choose to be born there, you did not take some big test that you should boast about on the rooftops.

Every time I see someone identity as a patriot, I cringe. Not only has patriotism not just become being proud of one's country (which is stupid as explained above)
it's become a code word for the phrase "I'm a closet racist". Note that I immediately stop taking any person who says that seriously.

What are your thoughts

Ridiculous.

You can't choose your family either. But you love them because they're your family. I love my country because it's mine. Just like I love my family because they're mine. I also love other countries.
(edited 7 years ago)

He probably wants something more exotic, like FGM or honour killings.
Reply 27
Original post by Supersaps
Ridiculous.

You can't choose your family either. But you love them because they're your family. I love my country because it's mine. I also love other countries.

Note that I know a lot of people who don't love their family

How does it feel to be a closet racist?

You a dumb mother****er. You need some education on the history of Britain, mate.

Troll 0/10
Reply 30
Original post by Eigo-Jin
Troll 0/10

I'm not trolling lol, but I think patriotic people always carry an aura of xenophobia
Reply 31
You a dumb mother****er. You need some education on the history of Britain, mate.

What? Instiftutionalised racism and colonialism?
It's not hard mate

Racism, superiority complexity, colonialism and slavery? No thanks. And dont gimme this ******** 'but but but we werent the only ones to take slaves'

Why you getting emotional? Is being british the only thing you can be proud of?

You are a mindless buffoon. If you think it's pointless to love something just because you didn't choose it, then you can't love your family, which is clearly ridiculous.

I also know people that don't love their families. That doesn't mean loving them is wrong just because they didn't "choose" them.

SS

Edit: I note you removed that first part from your post, presumably after you realised how idiotic it sounded and decided to just proceed to calling me a racist. Classy.
(edited 7 years ago)
You are a mindless buffoon. If you think it's pointless to love something just because you didn't choose it, then you can't love your family, which is clearly ridiculous.

I also know people that don't love their families. That doesn't mean loving them is wrong just because they didn't "choose" them.

SS

Family is tangible, culture is intangible hence your comparison is invalid.
Reply 35

SS

Phew the xenophobia is strong in you
i bet you like the queen to you sad, undemocratic bigot.
(edited 7 years ago)
People complain but nothing is stopping them from leaving.
By the same logic you shouldn't be proud of your family as you had no choice than to be part of it. It's ridiculous. I think that people who say you shouldn't be proud of your country are probably foreigners and they're probably proud of wherever they come from originally (hard as that may be to believe).
Reply 37
Original post by Ano9901whichone
People complain but nothing is stopping them from leaving.
By the same logic you shouldn't be proud of your family as you had no choice than to be part of it. It's ridiculous. I think that people who say you shouldn't be proud of your country are probably foreigners and they're probably proud of wherever they come from originally (hard as that may be to believe).

lol hi mr closet racist
Racism, superiority complexity, colonialism and slavery? No thanks. And dont gimme this ******** 'but but but we werent the only ones to take slaves'

Why you getting emotional? Is being british the only thing you can be proud of?

But we literally weren't the only ones to take slaves. Colonialism and slavery isn't exclusive to Britain; just look at the Ottoman Empire. Not to mention slavery was abolished nearly 200 years ago in Britain. If you're going to associate slavery with Britain maybe you should also associate the fact they were the first to abolish it. Not to mention that slavery still occurs TODAY in many other countries.

As for racism, Britain is pretty much one of the most tolerant countries in the world.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

In fact, I guess you could say places like India and the Middle East have pretty racist cultures :0
Learn how to use TSR to reply you moron

The article is completely irrelevant and proves nothing. I rest my case.

You really think western culture is superior? LOOOOL you just prove my point

Yes, british culture is boring and bland, just filled with people with a superiority complex, like you.

Hmm. This is coming from a kid, doing his GCSE's. Not really valid then as you're too young to even know what you're saying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending