The Student Room Group

Would having a U on my UCAS application affect me negatively?

I'm considering dropping a subject on the chance I could get a U in it and only take three AS levels, anybody know if the U would have a negative effect on my chances of getting into a good Uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by W1ll.b
I'm considering dropping a subject on the chance I could get a U in it and only take three AS levels, anybody know if the U would have a negative effect on my chances of getting into a good Uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely failed year 12 and got EEUU so had to repeat the whole year... I got offers from Birmingham and Cardiff so I'd say no, it wouldn't have too much of a negative effect :smile:
Original post by W1ll.b

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wont have an effect.

I got CCDU at AS, with the U being in Maths.

Bumped it up to BBC (the D went up to a B) by the end of A2 with a crazy amount of hard work and retakes - the most I have ever and probably will ever work in my life.

Got into a uni course that needed BBB on results day, ended up dropping out. Reapplied to do something different with BBC requirements, obviously got an unconditional for that and accepted it.

Took a gamble and emailed a Russell Group uni explaining my situation and asked if they'd consider me for a BBB course. Got an unconditional offer.

You will be fine. Nobody will ever mention it. After I got my U in AS Maths and put it on my UCAS Application it has felt like I never even went to lessons or sat the exams.
Reply 4
I'll stick with the subject, thanks for the advice/feedback 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by W1ll.b

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a U in my first year in Physics , not im resitting as physics as well as A2 and i got offers from good Unis so nope it should be fine dw
Original post by W1ll.b

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends. If you're applying to the very best of universities - Oxford, Cambridge, UCL etc. - then you'd probably struggle, because most applicants will have 4 As, and they'll have to distinguish between candidates even further. But as long as the subject isn't relevant to your degree choice, your personal statement is good, your predicted and other AS grades are high, and you're not applying to the very top universities in the country, it should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest