The Student Room Group

You cannot choose to be from a country; hence it is pointless being patriotic.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Youngmetro
Family is tangible, culture is intangible hence your comparison is invalid.

This is nonsense. It seems to be quite "tangible" enough for you when you criticise it.
Reply 41
Original post by Itsyaboy
There's no point in being patriotic.

Why would one want to be proud of being British or whatever your demonym is, because you did not choose to be born there, you did not take some big test that you should boast about on the rooftops.

Every time I see someone identity as a patriot, I cringe. Not only has patriotism not just become being proud of one's country (which is stupid as explained above)
it's become a code word for the phrase "I'm a closet racist". Note that I immediately stop taking any person who says that seriously.

What are your thoughts

Immigrants can get the British citizenship and be proud of it. I think British culture is superior to most other cultures.
lol hi mr closet racist

Hi. But I'm not racist haha.
Original post by Ano9901whichone
Hmm. This is coming from a kid, doing his GCSE's. Not really valid then as you're too young to even know what you're saying.

lmaoo ad hom, gotta love closet racists
Show your internationalism by celebrating International Workers' Day :yay:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4055093&p=64524907#post64524907
lmaoo ad hom, gotta love closet racists

How is what I said any different to what you said earlier in this thread. If I'm racist you're racist and there is no way around that kid. If you were old enough you would probably understand that.
How is what I said any different to what you said earlier in this thread. If I'm racist you're racist and there is no way around that kid. If you were old enough you would probably understand that.

Do point out where i am racist
There's no point in being patriotic.

Why would one want to be proud of being British or whatever your demonym is, because you did not choose to be born there, you did not take some big test that you should boast about on the rooftops.

Every time I see someone identity as a patriot, I cringe. Not only has patriotism not just become being proud of one's country (which is stupid as explained above)
it's become a code word for the phrase "I'm a closet racist". Note that I immediately stop taking any person who says that seriously.

What are your thoughts

The way I see it is as you live and grow up in a country, its culture and norms becomes a part of your identity. Hence you grow up loving your country, whether you want to or not. Naturally you'd want your country to do well in sports competitions etc. Patriotism is only natural.
Original post by Supersaps
This is nonsense. It seems to be quite "tangible" enough for you when you criticise it.

I criticise it precisely because it is intangible
Family is tangible, culture is intangible hence your comparison is invalid.

Has this comment been posted by A.I?

As it happens with just a little cogitation these two things can be compared.
A boring country with a bland culture to show for it.

Yh, the bland and boring british culture, as i have already mentioned.

Learn how to use TSR to reply you moron

The article is completely irrelevant and proves nothing. I rest my case.

You really think western culture is superior? LOOOOL you just prove my point

Yes, british culture is boring and bland, just filled with people with a superiority complex, like you.

I'm classing all these as racist. Because I have seen this on TSR that if you say this about another country, or similar things about Islam (or any other religion for that matter) then you get considered a racist.
Original post by Josb
Immigrants can get the British citizenship and be proud of it. I think British culture is superior to most other cultures.

That's all british culture is nowadays, bunch of fools thinking british culture is superior because people want to come here, i mean its not like they come here for the welfare state or for economic reasons, right?
Nothing worthy in your precious british culture for me to mention

Which countries' cultures do you think are better than British culture?
Do point out where i am racist

Point out where I'm racist. You won't be able to.
I'm classing all these as racist. Because I have seen this on TSR that if you say this about another country, or similar things about Islam (or any other religion for that matter) then you get considered a racist.

LOL apparently calling Britain 'boring' or 'bland' or saying all cultures are equal is racist.

Keeping going, you're hilarious
Totally agree, I've always thought the same about race the way people pride themselves in it like its a skill as opposed to a genetic lottery.
Original post by sweeneyrod
Which countries' cultures do you think are better than British culture?

dont put words in my mouth
dont put words in my mouth

I'm not putting words into your mouth. You clearly stated that you think British culture is bad, implying that you must think some other cultures are good in comparison. What are those other cultures?
What? Instiftutionalised racism and colonialism?
It's not hard mate

Oh please, any empire had slaves and nobody should be proud of that. But are you really generalising British history to those two things? Slavery and colonisation occured in the 17th century. But British people also ended slavery, fool. What about before 17th century. What about after? What about food, theatre, music, inventions, science, literature, art, language?
YOU.NEED.EDUCATION.
MATE.
A boring country with a bland culture to show for it.

WHAT did you just say? How DARE you undermine the glory of this great nation! I am no racist; I simply love my country very much. Just because I had no choice in my nationality doesn't mean I shouldn't be extremely proud to be British.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending