The Student Room Group

You cannot choose to be from a country; hence it is pointless being patriotic.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Youngmetro
LOL apparently calling Britain 'boring' or 'bland' or saying all cultures are equal is racist.

Keeping going, you're hilarious

It's not what you said. It's the principle. You're bashing a country, a culture, but I have seen you post in threads regarding Islam basically saying to people "don't bash Islam". You're critising a whole nation. Basically you're a hypocrite.
What country are you from?
The Chinese dont use their culture to undermine other cultures and people, the british do.

The Chinese dont think others should be forced to adopt their culture, the British do.

The Chinese dont think their culture is superior to others, the British do (well, western culture)

the Chinese dont uphold their culture and believe others should look up to it, the British do.

The Chinese have a culture, the British dont.

People who claim to be nationalists in Britain spend more time bashing other cultures, screaming about immigrants and muslims rather than actually being proud of their mundane culture. They simply shout 'Culture Relativism is ********'

The Chinese dont think others should be forced to adopt their culture, the British do. I think you mistake adopting with integration, when this St Georges day we had some areas ban the Flag as It could be offencive we really are not forcing culture but we have gone too far the other way.

The Chinese dont think their culture is superior to others, the British do (well, western culture). I don't think this can be backed up in anyway and I think most sensible people can see that all cultures have their merits.

The Chinese dont think their culture is superior to others, the British do (well, western culture) They definitely did not remove crosses from Chinese Christian churches for safety and ban them, where we allow many different faiths and ideologies to hold rallies and protests.

the Chinese dont uphold their culture and believe others should look up to it, the British do. Yes they do, they have many cultural aspects that if you don't do you can be looked down upon in china such as business cards, normally we would put them in a pocket or disregard them, in china it is common to bow after reviving one as it is a honor.

The Chinese have a culture, the British don't.
This is blatantly stupid, we both have a culture and not all of it is nice, Chinese and British culture are both very interesting
LOL apparently calling Britain 'boring' or 'bland' or saying all cultures are equal is racist.

Keeping going, you're hilarious

You never said all cultures are equal mate. Haha making stuff up to try and help your case.
Point out where I'm racist. If you can't then how can anyone take any of your posts seriously, knowing you just lie in all of them?
Do us all a favour and show me where I was racist.
Original post by sweeneyrod
I'm not putting words into your mouth. You clearly stated that you think British culture is bad, implying that you must think some other cultures are good in comparison. What are those other cultures?

Never said it was bad, i said it was boring and bland, and has lost its meaning when most people think it is superior and make a bigger fuss about it.

Im sorry, there's too many other cultures that are more interesting for me to list.
Reply 64
That's all british culture is nowadays, bunch of fools thinking british culture is superior because people want to come here, i mean its not like they come here for the welfare state or for economic reasons, right?

Not only. Otherwise people would prefer to go to more generous states where life is cheaper, such as France or the UAE.
Racism, superiority complexity, colonialism and slavery? No thanks. And dont gimme this ******** 'but but but we werent the only ones to take slaves'

Why you getting emotional? Is being British the only thing you can be proud of?

Haha, you condense British history into just that? Anyone can take bad history and bring it forth to cover, I don't know, 1000 years of history. Considering your mindset, nobody should be proud of their country because nearly every country HAS had slaves: Britain, America, CHINA, KOREA, SAUDI, parts of AFRICA, etc.

And I guess I'm lucky for a mixture so I can be proud of my Jamaican side. OOH wait I can't because they were once slaves and they smoke weed. GTFO TSR.
Original post by Eigo-Jin
Oh please, any empire had slaves and nobody should be proud of that. But are you really generalising British history to those two things? Slavery and colonisation occured in the 17th century. But British people also ended slavery, fool. What about before 17th century. What about after? What about food, theatre, music, inventions, science, literature, art, language?
YOU.NEED.EDUCATION.
MATE.

so true.

the Nearly everyone had slaves and if you are looking for who started it look at Portugal and Venice for modern slavery.

Britain has a vastly rich culture and history but some idiots cannot see past slavery.
Haha, you condense British history into just that? Anyone can take bad history and bring it forth to cover, I don't know, 1000 years of history. Considering your mindset, nobody should be proud of their country because nearly every country HAS had slaves: Britain, America, CHINA, KOREA, SAUDI, parts of AFRICA, etc.

And I guess I'm lucky for a mixture so I can be proud of my Jamaican side. OOH wait I can't because they were once slaves and they smoke weed. GTFO TSR.

Go easy on him. He's just a kid so his mind isn't developed enough to make valid arguments.
Never said it was bad, i said it was boring and bland, and has lost its meaning when most people think it is superior and make a bigger fuss about it.

Im sorry, there's too many other cultures that are more interesting for me to list.

Name three? That shouldn't be hard.

Do you think British culture is the worst culture, or would you agree that there are far worse cultures elsewhere on the planet? Or do you think all cultures are equal? In the first case, why shouldn't British people be proud of their culture being better than many others?

Lol your logic is so flawed, thats my opinion, its subjective, you can believe what you want idrc, the point i was making is at the start of the thread. Dont get all emotional, not that deep

You are the guy saying it is nothing more than slavery, I think you need to get educated, this is like saying France is no more than Napoleon or Germany was only Hitler and Wilhelm II and the two wars.
Russia was more than the cold war, Japan was a bunch of savages who raped civilians, Argentina was just the Falklands, Spain was just the inquisition, America was just two atomic bombs

Please educate yourself
Original post by Ano9901whichone
You never said all cultures are equal mate.

Nope, i did.
LOOOL you're too funny mate. If you cant find anything of what i said was racist then dont accuse me of it you moron.
dont talk about Islam, i criticise islam as much as I tell people to not incite hatred.

Im british,

You said I'm racist, so I challenge you to show me where I was. You can't can you, just admit it.
Lol your logic is so flawed, thats my opinion, its subjective, you can believe what you want idrc, the point i was making is at the start of the thread. Dont get all emotional, not that deep

No it is not a opinion, it is a fact Britain has had a lot of culture

lets define culture for you

A culture is a way of life of a group of people--the behaviors, beliefs, values, and symbols that they accept, generally without thinking about them, and that are passed along by communication and imitation from one generation to the next.

many different cultures can easily be seen if you look at any good book. But it is clear to me you are uneducated.
Original post by AperfectBalance
You are the guy saying it is nothing more than slavery, I think you need to get educated, this is like saying France is no more than Napoleon or Germany was only Hitler and Wilhelm II and the two wars.
Russia was more than the cold war, Japan was a bunch of savages who raped civilians, Argentina was just the Falklands, Spain was just the inquisition, America was just two atomic bombs

Please educate yourself

I just put that to support my own agenda, obviously theres more to the culture but the 'nationalists' only seem to go on about how superior it is
Nope, i did.

So all cultures are as bland and as boring as Britain then ok
No it is not a opinion, it is a fact Britain has had a lot of culture

And what im saying it is boring and bland, how is that so difficult for you to understand?
I just put that to support my own agenda, obviously theres more to the culture but the 'nationalists' only seem to go on about how superior it is

And the people like you go on about how bad it is, when you are factually incorrect

What logic? There is no logic in this argument, not concerning you anyways. None of this has been emotional for me, the use of capitals was for emphasis. You're argument has got to be the weakest I've seen, you can't resort to "it's my opinion" when you bring a point and defend it.
So all cultures are as bland and as boring as Britain then ok

All cultures are equal, some cultures are more interesting than others. Being more interesting doesnt mean its better.

Quick Reply

Latest