The Student Room Group

Do I need a computer at home for sixth form?

I'm going to sixth form this september and was wondering whether having a computer at home is necessary - I've managed with no computer and an ipad mini so far as there has been very little need for technology, but I'm aware my workload will increase and a slow ipad may not be enough! Would anyone be able to give any advice i.e. Whether I need a computer/laptop and what the cheapest/best value option would be If i did?

Thanks
What subjects are you doing?
Original post by Aydin7
What subjects are you doing?

Most likely doing History, Classical Civilization and Maths!
I'd say it would be useful, since whilst you could go to your local/school library to use a computer, you can't exactly do an all nighter in there to get an essay typed up. However, I guess if you are organised enough you could aim to complete all the work which requires the use of a computer during school/library opening hours.

I was going to say it would be useful for getting past papers up on, but I guess you just use your ipad.
For History I used mine a lot for typing up coursework, but as long as you have word document software on your ipad that should be fine :smile: You definitely shouldn't need it for maths though
Original post by chrisdavies25
Most likely doing History, Classical Civilization and Maths!

If you have coursework for any of those subjects, a computer/laptop may help.
I would say yes in most cases,

My collage gives us all our resources online, and our work is submitted online. Your going to want a system that will run Microsoft word, excel and power point. For all these applications your going to want a keyboard. Furthermore a printer at home and a device you can print form is a must! Especially during exam revision time. I don't even want to think about the number of trees i have slaughtered by printing out past papers.

Normally your collage will have computers there, but the reality of a-levels is that they consume your whole life and nothing less. That includes working weekends, and you wont have access to the collage computers at weekends. I don't even want to mention the cost of printing at collage also.
Original post by Associativity
I'd say it would be useful, since whilst you could go to your local/school library to use a computer, you can't exactly do an all nighter in there to get an essay typed up. However, I guess if you are organised enough you could aim to complete all the work which requires the use of a computer during school/library opening hours.

I was going to say it would be useful for getting past papers up on, but I guess you just use your ipad.

Thanks, that's something to think about! I might just get a keyboard to use with the ipad and see how I go with that!
I would heavily recommend getting a computer, especially for essay subjects, I think I would definitely struggled using just my iPad doing just maths and sciences. Also, as others have said, a printer is a very good idea if you don't have one, especially when you're in study leave so can't easily print stuff from school.
I'd say you would certainly need to get a computer and learn how to use one well if planning to carry on past A levels as well!
I'd find doing any work on an iPad nightmarish at degree level or above.
Original post by AmateurRocketman
I would heavily recommend getting a computer, especially for essay subjects, I think I would definitely struggled using just my iPad doing just maths and sciences. Also, as others have said, a printer is a very good idea if you don't have one, especially when you're in study leave so can't easily print stuff from school.

Good point, I suppose I better look into it before september. Thanks for the help!
Original post by chrisdavies25
Thanks, that's something to think about! I might just get a keyboard to use with the ipad and see how I go with that!

I'm not sure it would be much fun typing up thousand word essays on an ipad tbh, but I guess it is possible. I don't think you'd necessarily need that great a computer, try ebay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending