The Student Room Group

Expected Value (Algebra)

Please see attached screenshot!

What happens between 'starting from x=1' to 'using y=x-1'
I know its times by (1-n) and divide by (1-n) - but I don't know why the 'to the power of x' goes to x-1 and how the x within the sum goes to (y+1)..

All help appreciated..
Reply 1
Original post by JKITFC
Please see attached screenshot!

What happens between 'starting from x=1' to 'using y=x-1'
I know its times by (1-n) and divide by (1-n) - but I don't know why the 'to the power of x' goes to x-1 and how the x within the sum goes to (y+1)..

All help appreciated..

It's just using the rule of indices:

an=an1×aa^n = a^{n-1} \times a.

In this case: (1π)x=(1π)x1×(1π)(1-\pi)^x = (1-\pi)^{x-1} \times (1-\pi).

Since (1π)(1-\pi) is just a constant, you can pull it out of the sum:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\sum x(1-\pi)^x = \sum x (1-\pi)^{x-1} (1-\pi) = (1-\pi)\sum x(1-\pi)^{x-1}\end{equation*}

Original post by Zacken
It's just using the rule of indices:

an=an1×aa^n = a^{n-1} \times a.

In this case: (1π)x=(1π)x1×(1π)(1-\pi)^x = (1-\pi)^{x-1} \times (1-\pi).

Since (1π)(1-\pi) is just a constant, you can pull it out of the sum:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\sum x(1-\pi)^x = \sum x (1-\pi)^{x-1} (1-\pi) = (1-\pi)\sum x(1-\pi)^{x-1}\end{equation*}

Perfect - thankyou
Reply 3
Original post by JKITFC
Perfect - thankyou

And for the next part, think about it just like a "integration substitution"

The sub y=x1y=x-1 means that when x=1x=1, we have y=11=0y = 1-1 = 0 (that's the bottom limit sorted) and the top limit is y=1=y = \infty -1 = \infty so that stays the same.

Then, the y=x1y = x-1 means that the (1π)x1=(1π)y(1-\pi)^{x-1} = (1-\pi)^y and the x=y+1x = y + 1 by re-arranging the sub y=x1y=x-1 by adding 1 to both sides of the equation.
Thanks - that part clicked just after I posted!

I get the fact that the second part of the addition is a PMF so equals one, and the fact the first part = E(X).
How does (Y+1) go to y(1-n) - is it becasue the (1-n) outside the sum multiplies with the (y+1) inside?
Reply 5
Original post by JKITFC
Thanks - that part clicked just after I posted!

I get the fact that the second part of the addition is a PMF so equals one, and the fact the first part = E(X).
How does (Y+1) go to y(1-n) - is it becasue the (1-n) outside the sum multiplies with the (y+1) inside?

If you're asking about (1π)[E(X)+1](1-\pi)[E(X) + 1], then yeah - it's just multipling out, just like a(b+c)=ab+bca(b+c) = ab + bc; we have: (1π)[E(X)+1]=(1π)E(X)+(1π)1(1-\pi)[E(X) + 1] = (1-\pi)E(X) +(1-\pi)1
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
If you're asking about (1π)[E(X)+1](1-\pi)[E(X) + 1], then yeah - it's just multipling out, just like a(b+c)=ab+bca(b+c) = ab + bc; we have: (1π)[E(X)+1]=(1π)E(X)+(1π)1(1-\pi)[E(X) + 1] = (1-\pi)E(X) +(1-\pi)1

I mean from the very top line of the second screenshot.
How does (Y+1) go to y(1-n) - so how do they make the (y+1) at the bottom of the first screenshot into the E(X) in the top line of the second screenshot?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by JKITFC
I mean from the very top line of the second screenshot.

Oh, I think I understand what you mean.

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}(y+1)(1-\pi)^y \pi = (y)(1-\pi)^y \pi + (1)(1-\pi)^y \pi \end{equation*}

By expanding the (y+1)(a)=ay+a(y+1)(a) = ay + a where a=(1π)yπa = (1-\pi)^y \pi.

So:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{align*}(1-\pi)\sum(y+1)(1-\pi)^y y &= (1-\pi) \sum \big( (y)(1-\pi)^y \pi + (1)(1-\pi)^y \pi \big) \\ & = (1-\pi)\bigg[ \sum y(1-\pi)^y \pi + \sum (1-\pi)^y \pi \bigg]\end{equation}

Original post by Zacken
Oh, I think I understand what you mean.

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}(y+1)(1-\pi)^y \pi = (y)(1-\pi)^y \pi + (1)(1-\pi)^y \pi \end{equation*}

By expanding the (y+1)(a)=ay+a(y+1)(a) = ay + a where a=(1π)yπa = (1-\pi)^y \pi.

So:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{align*}(1-\pi)\sum(y+1)(1-\pi)^y y &= (1-\pi) \sum \big( (y)(1-\pi)^y \pi + (1)(1-\pi)^y \pi \big) \\ & = (1-\pi)\bigg[ \sum y(1-\pi)^y \pi + \sum (1-\pi)^y \pi \bigg]\end{equation}

Thankyou - exactly what I was looking for - would give rep but wont let me!
Reply 9
Original post by JKITFC
Thankyou - exactly what I was looking for - would give rep but wont let me!

No problem. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest