The Student Room Group

Does right wing media make up lies about Muslim migrants, or...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brainhuman
Funny thing is that we both know I'm right :wink:

So you're just embarrassing yourself now.

I'm just touched that I have an admirer tbh.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Britain bombing German cities in WW2 or America nuking two cities in
Japan It was war, and war is a bad thing a lot of people say it was justified but no one with half a brain says it was great we killed all those civilians I cant wait to bomb more

And the nuking was on a bigger scale and some say it ended the war with far less casualties that what would of happened, nonetheless it was horrible but it was war.

Exactly, but the question doesn't ask why someone might think it can be justified, just if it can be justified.
Original post by FredOrJohn
If you have spent a day sitting in the waiting room (or similar) you certainly will know a great deal more than me. What you say is gospel as far as I'm concerned.

So what are your views?

Is there some truth in the sex attacks via migrants being more common than statistically normal or is this a myth (from your own observations)?

I didn't say that it was gospel, I asked whether you had a particular Magistrates court in mind, since the statement that you made was very general and the demographics will differ depending on which part of the country you are referring to. So, do you have one?

Again, a very general statement; migrants from where? What are their backgrounds? If they are coming from cultures where women are treated like criminals for being victims of sexual violence then perhaps so. If they are uneducated and are not well travelled then perhaps so. Their background has everything to do with not whether or not they are citizens of this country. Sexual abuse in the armed forces and in the Catholic Church are disproportionately high, even when they are not migrant. Yet it is rare that people from either of these groups are generalised in such a way.
Original post by WBZ144
I didn't say that it was gospel, I asked whether you had a particular Magistrates court in mind, since the statement that you made was very general and the demographics will differ depending on which part of the country you are referring to. So, do you have one?

Again, a very general statement; migrants from where? What are their backgrounds? If they are coming from cultures where women are treated like criminals for being victims of sexual violence then perhaps so. If they are uneducated and are not well travelled then perhaps so. Their background has everything to do with not whether or not they are citizens of this country. Sexual abuse in the armed forces and in the Catholic Church are disproportionately high, even when they are not migrant. Yet it is rare that people from either of these groups are generalised in such a way.

I did not say you did. What I did say was this :

I would treat your view as Gospel as you know more than me. You have visited these courts all over the country and know the answers.

I suspect (but do not know) that you were biased against me because you perceive me to be right wing.

So now that you know, can you tell me, from your own observations of sitting in court rooms are Islamic migrants more likely to be in court for sex crimes compared to criminals from the host nation. This is the nub of this whole thread and you possibly know the answer.

I just would like to know what you have observed is that too much to ask?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
Inventing fake stories to fuel said tensions is worse.

I assume you'd have no trouble pointing out multiple examples of completely fake stories in the media concerning Muslims..........
Original post by sxphieds
The media is only interested in these stories because it's a migrant perpetrator and it sells to their ideologies. If there are 15 stabbings in a week and one of them is done by a migrant they'll only report that story.

This is only a delusion in your paranoid mind. The only way it can possibly be true is if the media never mentions crimes perpetrated by non-migrants. But they do.......all the time. So you're making things up I'm afraid.
Original post by KimKallstrom
I assume you'd have no trouble pointing out multiple examples of completely fake stories in the media concerning Muslims..........

I said that right-wing websites (like the ones quoted in the OP) have reported "stories" that turned out to be fake. The mainstream media rarely does this if it wants to keep credibility.

Examples: the mass child bride wedding in the Gaza Strip which never happened (reported by the usual suspects), the London Metropolitan University ban on alcohol which never happened, Obama's personal funding of a Muslims museum at the time of its closing which never happened, the stoning of the Syrian girl for having a Facebook account which never happened and so forth.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did not say you did. What I did say was this :

I would treat your view as Gospel as you know more than me. You have visited these courts all over the country and know the answers.

I suspect (but do not know) that you were biased against me because you perceive me to be right wing.

So now that you know, can you tell me, from your own observations of sitting in court rooms are Islamic migrants more likely to be in court for sex crimes compared to criminals from the host nation. This is the nub of this whole thread and you possibly know the answer.

I just would like to know what you have observed is that too much to ask?

I have not observed more "Islamic migrants" in court for sex crimes except in an area with a high Muslim population, no. Besides even if they were Muslims (how would you even be able to tell unless it was mentioned?) they were probably not all migrants.
Original post by Aceadria
Interesting that you compare racism on campus to someone who is wearing tight clothes. I don't think you've fully grasped the implications of this idea. Regardless, please reply to my previous questions.

The point is that college campuses do and should have the right to hold their students responsible for what they say and do. Also, we do not and should not have complete and total free speech, its just where you draw the line that we differ on. We are all aware that it should be against the law to bully someone, shout verbal abuse at someone, harass people at work\college, and in my book, if someone is openly saying that they think all muslim immigrants are rapists\terrorists etc and they should all be sent home, that is verbally abusing certain people, and should be put and end to.
If you are referring the the comment comparing feminists and islamophobes, i dont see what i am supposed to respond to this, as you just keep claiming that its irrelevant.
Original post by brainhuman
I never understood this. Why people are always labelled left or right, and why they must be at heads with each other all the time.

I personally am for immigrants, if not solely for helping where we can. And yet I am also against mass immigration - there is a limit to how many we can help - and I have very strong views regarding the treatment of immigrants. If they do not want to accept our cultural norms and values, then they may leave. If they then protest about them or carry out such attacks, deport the ****ers.

Indeed, anyone who thinks they can emigrate here and yet somehow thinks the rules governing Britsh society don't apply to them needs to be booted straight back to where they came from. This hardline approach would also be beneficial to the wider immigrant communities IMO as it would help prevent them all being wrongly branded based upon the actions of a minority.

When it comes to genuine refugees I'm in favour of helping as many as possible, I'm sure we've got the capacity to accommodate a lot more than we are currently.
Original post by iceberger
you don't need examples because they are there in front of your eyes in plain sight

A bit like how Christian's see Satan everywhere.
Original post by WBZ144
I have not observed more "Islamic migrants" in court for sex crimes except in an area with a high Muslim population, no. Besides even if they were Muslims (how would you even be able to tell unless it was mentioned?) they were probably not all migrants.

Thanks. I take you are you word. I stand corrected.

The other thing you mentioned that puzzled me was when you said "Catholic Soldiers commit more sex crimes and this is never reported in the news papers".

I must admit I had never thought of the concept "Catholic Soldiers" - where on earth did you find this information?

I'm also assuming this is gospel truth as you are a knowledgeable person on these matters. You really ought to pass that information onto the national news, its really interesting. I wonder why they would be like that? I mean worse than Methodists or Atheists or Church of England. What is it about a British Catholic solider that makes them more likely to commit a sex crime than a Methodist or a Muslim?

Do you have any further information on this? Certainly very odd. But you said it so it must be true.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks. I take you are you word. I stand corrected.

The other thing you mentioned that puzzled me was when you said "Catholic Soldiers commit more sex crimes and this is never reported in the news papers".

I must admit I had never thought of the concept "Catholic Soldiers" - where on earth did you find this information?

I'm also assuming this is gospel truth as you are a knowledgeable person on these matters. You really ought to pass that information onto the national news, its really interesting. I wonder why they would be like that? I mean worse than Methodists or Atheists or Church of England. What is it about a British Catholic solider that makes them more likely to commit a sex crime than a Methodist or a Muslim?

Do you have any further information on this? Certainly very odd. But you said it so it must be true.

I didn't say that. I said that sex crimes are disproportionately high in the armed forces (that's irrespective of their religion) and is also unusually high in the Catholic Church (often perpetrated by those in positions of authority).

I also did not deny that uneducated people coming from misogynistic cultures were more likely to commit sex crimes (they probably are). That being said my point was that migrants as a whole should not be generalised as sex offenders and should be innocent until proven guilty, as is the case with the two groups mentioned above.
Original post by WBZ144
I didn't say that. I said that sex crimes are disproportionately high in the armed forces (that's irrespective of their religion) and is also unusually high in the Catholic Church (often perpetrated by those in positions of authority).

I also did not deny that uneducated people coming from misogynistic cultures were more likely to commit sex crimes (they probably are). That being said my point was that migrants as a whole should not be generalised as sex offenders and should be innocent until proven guilty, as is the case with the two groups mentioned above.

I'm really confused now.
From what I understand there are about 5,500 priests in the UK. The last sex offence by a Catholic priests was committed in the 1990s ( although you get court cases now, the offences appear to be some decades old) - are you saying the Catholic Church in this century has some sort of sex problem that is still significantly worse than else where in the UK?
Bit confused - the stats don't seem to back that up..
I'm really confused now.
From what I understand there are about 5,500 priests in the UK. The last sex offence by a Catholic priests was committed in the 1990s ( although you get court cases now, the offences appear to be some decades old) - are you saying the Catholic Church in this century has some sort of sex problem that is still significantly worse than else where in the UK?
Bit confused - the stats don't seem to back that up..

You'll find you are wrong:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-one-in-50-catholic-priests-bishops-and-cardinals-are-paedophiles-9602919.html

But if you're referring to the UK specifically, there have been more since the 1990s:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/24/catholicism-religion

My Law and English is not my strong point. But 3 a year as a percentage of 5500 is 0.054% (and these priests might not have committed a crime they just failed the NCSC guild lines).

whereas its 2% of females report a sex crime each year (and this 2% are actual crimes, not guilde lines). Using Wikipedia I Cannot find a single UK catholic priest being convicted for a sex crime they committed this century (not that Wikipedia is perfect, its the only info I have). But if true, it probably means you let bias get to you (as it did for me) when you discuss Catholic Priests.

The nub of this whole discussion is can you draw conclusions as to what type of men these 2% might be.
Wikipedia says "Strong likelyhood they commit other crimes (non-sex)".

That is why, your eye witness account as to the people you see in a Magistrate court on a daily basis is the clincher. Are there some common denominators?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom
This is only a delusion in your paranoid mind. The only way it can possibly be true is if the media never mentions crimes perpetrated by non-migrants. But they do.......all the time. So you're making things up I'm afraid.

I am neither delusional nor paranoid. I was referring to a tendency rather than an absolute. Exceptions to a general trend do not disprove the trend. Many media outlets operate on a tactic of selling to an ideology- for instance, the NRA's facebook page is constantly posting stories about successful self-defense, whereas ThinkProgress shares stories about mass shootings. The selective sharing of information is part of what allows these media outlets to continue; people don't like hearing things that go against their precognition and so will gravitate to news outlets that support their ideas. Therefore, a media outlet biased against migrant workers will report stories portraying them in a bad light, because this is what readers of that particular outlet want to hear. This theory can be used to explain how Fox News contributed to the Trump phenomenon; and how a simple economic rule can drive political parties further and further apart.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Britain bombing German cities in WW2 or America nuking two cities in
Japan It was war, and war is a bad thing a lot of people say it was justified but no one with half a brain says it was great we killed all those civilians I cant wait to bomb more

And the nuking was on a bigger scale and some say it ended the war with far less casualties that what would of happened, nonetheless it was horrible but it was war.

Are you sure about that? Seen some of the American articles and cartoons about Japanese during that period?
My Law and English is not my strong point. But 3 a year as a percentage of 5500 is 0.054% (and these priests might not have committed a crime they just failed the NCSC guild lines).

whereas its 2% of females report a sex crime each year (and this 2% are actual crimes, not guilde lines). Using Wikipedia I Cannot find a single UK catholic priest being convicted for a sex crime they committed this century (not that Wikipedia is perfect, its the only info I have). But if true, it probably means you let bias get to you (as it did for me) when you discuss Catholic Priests.

The nub of this whole discussion is can you draw conclusions as to what type of men these 2% might be.
Wikipedia says "Strong likelyhood they commit other crimes (non-sex)".

That is why, your eye witness account as to the people you see in a Magistrate court on a daily basis is the clincher. Are there some common denominators?

All I will say is that what I witness when I visit courts says nothing about what the actual stats are. But something that should be taken into account is that stranger rape makes up around 10% of rape cases even though they are the incidents most likely to be reported. The highest percentage of rapes are done by the victims lover/intimate partner and they usually happen in the victim's home. So I highly doubt that this idea of migrants lurking in dark alleyways, waiting to prey on European women being the main cause for the rape stats is at all accurate.
Original post by WBZ144
Are you sure about that? Seen some of the American articles and cartoons about Japanese during that period?

Yes during the period, propaganda is not a realistic interpretation of the public views

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending