The Student Room Group

Is it important to do well in a subject you're dropping?

Hi,

Right now I am in AS doing history, geography, psychology & English. I am planning to drop geography next year & continue with my other 3 subjects. My question is, is it important to still do well in my geography exam & get a good grade for geography despite me dropping it next year? I am thinking in terms of university as I'm planning to go to a Russel group uni & I'm just worried that my geography grade will sort of obstruct this. I'm not feeling particularly confident with my geography exam that is coming up & so I'm expecting not the best grade.

Thanks!!
what course are you thinking of applying to?
and which unis?
and what grade are you expecting?

Normally, you should try and get the 4th AS as high as possible, but it won't matter that much as others obvs.
It also depends on your p.s and how relevant geography is to the course you want to study
I got D for AS further maths but still got accepted into all my choices: LSE, ucl, queen mary, soas, city
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
and which unis?

Normally, you should try and get the 4th AS as high as possible, but it won't matter that much as others obvs.
It also depends on your p.s and how relevant geography is to the course you want to study
I got D for AS further maths but still got accepted into all my choices: LSE, ucl, queen mary, soas, city

I am planning to take either English or English & History. Currently looking at uni of Sheffield, Manchester, Southampton, UCL & Durham. I am expecting a B/C for geography
Original post by polinaanastasia
I am planning to take either English or English & History. Currently looking at uni of Sheffield, Manchester, Southampton, UCL & Durham. I am expecting a B/C for geography

A B in geography probably won't put you at a significant disadvantage for any of those universities (although I think Durham English is competitive). A C would be bad, but not massively bad.
I don't think it's important. Last year I was doing so badly in biology and didn't leave enough time to revise the subject properly. I decided it would be better to work hard for my other subjects so I would at least have 3 good grades instead of 4 average grades. I ended up getting a D in bio but did well in the rest. Most unis won't care about your dropped subject. I applied to Manchester, Sheffield and Liverpool for English language/ linguistics and got offers for all despite my D bio ( which I had to drop :frown: )
and which unis?

Which one are you planning on going to / which one are you going to and for what subject?
Original post by sweeneyrod
A B in geography probably won't put you at a significant disadvantage for any of those universities (although I think Durham English is competitive). A C would be bad, but not massively bad.

That's interesting, I would have thought that a C would still be a fairly good grade :redface:
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I don't think it's important. Last year I was doing so badly in biology and didn't leave enough time to revise the subject properly. I decided it would be better to work hard for my other subjects so I would at least have 3 good grades instead of 4 average grades. I ended up getting a D in bio but did well in the rest. Most unis won't care about your dropped subject. I applied to Manchester, Sheffield and Liverpool for English language/ linguistics and got offers for all despite my D bio ( which I had to drop :frown: )

Yeah, that is what I'm sort of doing, just leaving geography & not really revising it as much. What did you get in your other 3 subjects if you don't mind me asking?:smile:
Original post by zXcodeXz
Which one are you planning on going to / which one are you going to and for what subject?

I am planning to take either English or English & History. Currently looking at uni of Sheffield, Manchester, Southampton, UCL & Durham
That's interesting, I would have thought that a C would still be a fairly good grade :redface:

It's certainly not awful, but I think it is plausible that one of the universities mentioned would reject you due to it (although you would probably get offers from most).
I am planning to take either English or English & History. Currently looking at uni of Sheffield, Manchester, Southampton, UCL & Durham

Nice!
Do try and do as well as you can in it, as it may well be beneficial for you UCAS application anyway. It isn't the end of the world if you don't do well in the 4th AS subject, though. Also, you may surprise yourself and do really well and want to carry it on. I know quite a few people who that happened to.

I did History, English Lit, Philosophy and Psychology last year, and knew I was going to drop Psychology from November onwards. I got a B in Psychology as I put the same amount of time in as my other subjects, and got As in everything else. I do feel like this was useful, as I got lower offers than other people applying with similar predicted grades to the same universities as me in a couple of cases.
Yeah, that is what I'm sort of doing, just leaving geography & not really revising it as much. What did you get in your other 3 subjects if you don't mind me asking?:smile:

ABB
Original post by zXcodeXz

Course: Bsc Economics and social policy
Firm- LSE
Insurance- UCL

Edit: Where you asking me or the OP?
(edited 7 years ago)
Course: Bsc Economics and social policy
Firm- LSE
Insurance- UCL

Edit: Where you asking me or the OP?

Nice and I was asking you

hey just wondering what subject you do at uni, because i want to go into mental health nursing but im failing biology, and defo dropping it. However im doing quite well in psychology so will unis ignore my really bad grade in biology ?
Original post by Grace spencer
hey just wondering what subject you do at uni, because i want to go into mental health nursing but im failing biology, and defo dropping it. However im doing quite well in psychology so will unis ignore my really bad grade in biology ?

I've applied for entry next year for linguistics. The entry requirements were mostly AAB. I asked my teachers whether the D in bio would disadvantage my application and they said unis only care about the subjects you take on to A2 they don't care about the one you have dropped xx
I've applied for entry next year for linguistics. The entry requirements were mostly AAB. I asked my teachers whether the D in bio would disadvantage my application and they said unis only care about the subjects you take on to A2 they don't care about the one you have dropped xx

thank God hah because im defo not doing good in bio, thanks xx

Quick Reply

Latest