The Student Room Group

Firm/Insurance dilemma

Hi, I need to decide my firm/insurance by Wednesday.

In a bit of a dilemma - essentially, my firm choice has lower grades than my insurance choice. As I'm still quite indecisive about which uni I prefer, but I'm pretty much set on my lower-grade firm choice. I want to put the higher grade uni down for my insurance, because it will be easier (still difficult though) to switch them, if I decide to do that down the line. I'd rather not reject the higher-grade insurance choice because I'm still SLIGHTLY unsure.

My teacher said this is pointless, because your insurance choice is supposed to have lower grades so you can go to that uni if you don't meet your firm choice - I'm aware of this, and if I don't meet my firm grades, I don't mind going through clearing.

Can I still put a lower requirement uni that I'm more or less certain on as my firm, and a higher requirement uni that I'm mostly less certain on as my insurance just in case I want to switch them later on?

Sorry if this wasn't worded great - exam stress is getting to me :')
Just a quick word of advice that I heard - Track often gets quite slow on Tuesday/Wednesday due to the huge number of people making their decisions at the last moment. So I'd say firm and insure sooner rather than later (ASAP, in fact) because you don't want to be in the position where, on Wednesday evening, you haven't firmed or insured and you can't log on to Track!

If you want to insure the higher grade offer, go for it. Yes, it is pointless, but you can if you want to. I've insured a uni which has a higher offer (A*AA) than my firm (AAA) and my school didn't seem to care much. Can I ask what your two unis are?
Original post by thechemistress
Just a quick word of advice that I heard - Track often gets quite slow on Tuesday/Wednesday due to the huge number of people making their decisions at the last moment. So I'd say firm and insure sooner rather than later (ASAP, in fact) because you don't want to be in the position where, on Wednesday evening, you haven't firmed or insured and you can't log on to Track!

If you want to insure the higher grade offer, go for it. Yes, it is pointless, but you can if you want to. I've insured a uni which has a higher offer (A*AA) than my firm (AAA) and my school didn't seem to care much. Can I ask what your two unis are?

Thanks! I'll probably do it tonight then!

My firm is probably going to be Warwick and my insurance will be The Courtauld Institute!
Original post by roselestrange
Thanks! I'll probably do it tonight then!

My firm is probably going to be Warwick and my insurance will be The Courtauld Institute!

Oooh wow, googled the courtauld institute and it looks amazing! It's also right next to the university I firmed :lol:

In a bit of a dilemma - essentially, my firm choice has lower grades than my insurance choice. As I'm still quite indecisive about which uni I prefer, but I'm pretty much set on my lower-grade firm choice. I want to put the higher grade uni down for my insurance, because it will be easier (still difficult though) to switch them, if I decide to do that down the line. I'd rather not reject the higher-grade insurance choice because I'm still SLIGHTLY unsure.

My teacher said this is pointless, because your insurance choice is supposed to have lower grades so you can go to that uni if you don't meet your firm choice - I'm aware of this, and if I don't meet my firm grades, I don't mind going through clearing.

Can I still put a lower requirement uni that I'm more or less certain on as my firm, and a higher requirement uni that I'm mostly less certain on as my insurance just in case I want to switch them later on?

Sorry if this wasn't worded great - exam stress is getting to me :':wink:

Your teacher is right as it is pointless- there are no circumstances under which if you get the grades (or higher) for your firm, that the insurance is still on the table. That place is gone. Remember unis get A level results a few days before we do; they will see how many of their firm offerholders got their grades and will then allocate places to any insurance holders who didnt get their first choice but got the right grades for them; after that most unis will still have spare places - they nearly always allocate these to people who had firm offers but didnt quite get the grades - most unis do this as it is much easier to fit in someone who has firmed, as they already have their accommodation application etc - and they know they really did want to go there. The unis who dont fill all the places go into clearing.

By the time you get your results, all places on the second course could have gone - you will only stand a chance of a place if the course is in clearing. If it is a highly popular course/ highly ranked institution, it is unlikely the course will be in clearing.
Original post by Herbiechester
Your teacher is right as it is pointless- there are no circumstances under which if you get the grades (or higher) for your firm, that the insurance is still on the table. That place is gone. Remember unis get A level results a few days before we do; they will see how many of their firm offerholders got their grades and will then allocate places to any insurance holders who didnt get their first choice but got the right grades for them; after that most unis will still have spare places - they nearly always allocate these to people who had firm offers but didnt quite get the grades - most unis do this as it is much easier to fit in someone who has firmed, as they already have their accommodation application etc - and they know they really did want to go there. The unis who dont fill all the places go into clearing.

By the time you get your results, all places on the second course could have gone - you will only stand a chance of a place if the course is in clearing. If it is a highly popular course/ highly ranked institution, it is unlikely the course will be in clearing.

The only reason I'd be putting it down as insurance is that I don't realistically see myself wanting to go to any of the other unis I've got offers for. My lower requirement firm choice is pretty much my dream uni so I don't think it's going to be changing.

Now I'm thinking I should just not bother putting down an insurance, as I'm pretty set on my firm. I just have a slight inclination for the higher grade insurance choice over any of the other three I've got offers for that aren't my firm...

Is it okay to just not put an insurance?

Is it okay to just not put an insurance?

YES.
Oooh wow, googled the courtauld institute and it looks amazing! It's also right next to the university I firmed :lol:

omg! haha :') Oh gosh it is a really amazing place... and I'm still surprised that I even got an offer haha! It's just the whole living in London thing... and you don't really get the whole 'university experience' there because they specialize in just one subject... aah! It's been such a difficult choice :frown: What uni did you firm?
omg! haha :':wink: Oh gosh it is a really amazing place... and I'm still surprised that I even got an offer haha! It's just the whole living in London thing... and you don't really get the whole 'university experience' there because they specialize in just one subject... aah! It's been such a difficult choice :frown: What uni did you firm?

Well done on your offer!! :biggrin: but that's fair enough, living in London really isn't for everybody - You'll miss out on the whole student experience type thing XD I've firmed King's College London :h:
Well done on your offer!! :biggrin: but that's fair enough, living in London really isn't for everybody - You'll miss out on the whole student experience type thing XD I've firmed King's College London :h:

King's College London! Nice!! :biggrin: And oh my gosh, it is pretty much right next to The Courtauld! :redface:

Sorry if this wasn't worded great - exam stress is getting to me :':wink:

Also take into account the following scenario...

For the sake of argument let's assume your firm is AAB and your insurance is AAA. On results day you achieve something like A*AC and your firm reject you because you have failed to meet your offer fully and they have enough applicants who did so. On the other hand, your insurance like the look of your A* grade and have a shortfall this year so give you a place.

In short, yes, you can go without an insurance, but if you might want to go there then put one down.

Eeep!! I firmed KCL too in the end!! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CherryBlossom123
Eeep!! I firmed KCL too in the end!! :biggrin:

Ah, that's so exciting! :biggrin: will be fab to know at least one person there!! XD XD What made you chose KCL over Birmingham in the end?? xD
Reply 13
I'd put it down as your insurance. You'd be in a better position to bargain with the school, if it should come to that, than not having put it down at all.
I don't think the Cortauld would be a wasted insurance, as long as you would actually want to go there if you missed Warwick's offer.

Did you have an interview with them? If so they were obviously impressed with you and if they hadn't filled their places on results day might prefer you with missed grades to a random person with higher grades.
Ah, that's so exciting! :biggrin: will be fab to know at least one person there!! XD XD What made you chose KCL over Birmingham in the end?? xD

I know! :biggrin: XD And I talked to some people who do medicine at London unis and they were saying how clinical experience in London is hands down better and the new kcl curriculum is meant to be really good and then dissection and the reputation and just being in London tipped me over the edge. :P How about you because weren't you leaning more towards Birmingham originally?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending