The Student Room Group

Muslims - Will you fast during exam period? Exam clash with Ramadan

Scroll to see replies

Since when are exams more important than your God?
Just fast...
Majority of exams are in the morning and most people skip breakfast so it really won't matter that much.
Original post by أنيسة
June 6th In Shaa Allah :h:

Reply 303
Original post by frankieboy
If religions would do away with the "spread the word" aspect of their beliefs, this might be a fairly benign change for them to do, and go a long way towards helping people be a bit easier with it.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Be a bit more specific, perhaps? All I'm saying/said was that you cannot forcefully instill religious beliefs into someone. I've come across multiple religious people/families who forcefully try to make their children adopt the "religious" path and sometimes (although very rarely) it works but predominantly it ends up in the child/ whosoever is targeted by these "religious" people in becoming two-faced. Like, they will be this completely different person in front of their religious family etc but around other people, they will do what THEY want to do which may contradict the teachings of their family. This happens because the child does NOT have the fear of God but rather the fear of being rejected by their family if they choose any different path from what their family practices. <--- This, is what happens if you try to force someone into believing something WITHOUT providing logical reasons. These people just practice what they practice, just for the sake of it and not because they honestly believe in it and, this,is wrong. People should try to comprehend religions( or explain the logics behind a specific religion that they've understood to other people if it's about "spreading the religion")and THEN choose what they want to practice. ^This, is the point that I'm trying to make.
Original post by Noara
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Be a bit more specific, perhaps? All I'm saying/said was that you cannot forcefully instill religious beliefs into someone. I've come across multiple religious people/families who forcefully try to make their children adopt the "religious" path and sometimes (although very rarely) it works but predominantly it ends up in the child/ whosoever is targeted by these "religious" people in becoming two-faced. Like, they will be this completely different person in front of their religious family etc but around other people, they will do what THEY want to do which may contradict the teachings of their family. This happens because the child does NOT have the fear of God but rather the fear of being rejected by their family if they choose any different path from what their family practices. <--- This, is what happens if you try to force someone into believing something WITHOUT providing logical reasons. These people just practice what they practice, just for the sake of it and not because they honestly believe in it and, this,is wrong. People should try to comprehend religions( or explain the logics behind a specific religion that they've understood to other people if it's about "spreading the religion")and THEN choose what they want to practice. ^This, is the point that I'm trying to make.

I think we're almost trying to make the same point.

I'm saying basically, if religious people kept their beliefs to themselves, this would benefit the world greatly at very little, if any, cost to these religious people. And I think your post here demonstrates exactly why that is.

Having said that, when I say "keep their beliefs to themselves", I don't mean to not make the information readily available to anyone that wants to participate.

Either that, or they should present a balanced view. They should inform of various religious beliefs, atheism, deism, anti-theism, and let people choose from there. Unfortunately, it seems that this is rarely the case.

Also, if they concentrated a bit less on the "fear" aspect, I think this may present a more balanced view as well.
Original post by Noara
All I'm saying/said was that you cannot forcefully instill religious beliefs into someone.

I would contest this actually. Physical and mental torture for example, may acheive this. Hypnotism. Brainwashing. Fear. Illusion. Some forceful, some not so forceful. But I don't think it's correct to say that it's not possible.
Reply 306
[QUOTE=frankieboy;64537963]I would contest this actually. Physical and mental torture for example, may acheive this. Hypnotism. Brainwashing. Fear. Illusion. Some forceful, some not so forceful. But I don't think it's correct to say that it's not possible.

That is now taking things to an extreme level. It's not a method adopted my normal people/families. It's rather one of those things that extremists use. However, fear (and illusion to an extent) could be an exception. The other way, however, are not really the general methods used by the society.
I am definitely fasting because Allah will give me blessings and strength during the exams. I am not so weak that I will miss a fast due to exams. I am perfectly fine to endure the starvation because I know that I am doing the right thing.
Original post by Noara
That is now taking things to an extreme level. It's not a method adopted my normal people/families.

Ah, I wasn't saying that it was. I was saying that there you have methods of forcing religion into someone (potentially) in response to you saying it wasn't possible. This is seperate to the point I was originally making.

What I was talking about before was that it seems to be a concept at the core of religion, to feel like it's ones duty to spread the word (which is very different from using force), and I think sometimes, through the power of suggestion, slight fear, and selective presentation of facts and options, this can be quite a negative thing. If religion was to get rid of this concept from its core, I think it would be a great burden removed, and contribute greatly towards dissapating the arguments that currently exist between people of different religions between themselves, and also between them and non believers. It would, in essence, increase tolerance between different religions and factions.
I will be fasting as this would most likely put barakah into our examinations!
All the best to everyone sitting their exams!
Salams, I am also taking my A2 exams during ramadhan however I will be fasting. Personally I don't think exams is an appropriate excuse to miss fasting, it's only a couple of days and also Allah will help us more if we make the sacrifice.
Anyways, hope you all do fantastic in your exams inshallah, keep us all in your duas!
Wasalam.
I feel like if I don't fast I will get bad grades but what if I fast and fail?? I'll think it's because I was fasting
My parents are also telling me not to fast. I want to fast as I feel I won't be tired not even around 1:30pm.
I need someone to give me a list of advantages and disadvantages :s-smilie:
I'm definitely fasting as Ramadan is my favourite month of the year and I'd hate to waste it. I have 9 exams but seeing as they're all in the morning or at 1pm it shouldn't be difficult at all. I seem to find fasting very rewarding and not stressful at all... Hope Allah gives us the strength to fast and complete our exams to the best of our abilities In Shaa Allah
I will be fasting since I've already done all the exams I needed to go through, so fasting wont be a problem; I just have some coursework to hand in now. Can't wait till ramadan!
Original post by wannabemedic1234
I'm definitely fasting as Ramadan is my favourite month of the year and I'd hate to waste it. I have 9 exams but seeing as they're all in the morning or at 1pm it shouldn't be difficult at all. I seem to find fasting very rewarding and not stressful at all... Hope Allah gives us the strength to fast and complete our exams to the best of our abilities In Shaa Allah

In sha Allah. Very well said :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I usually skip breakfast anyway, and only eat till lunch, don't feel hungry during that time.
All my exams are at 8:45 so yes, I will fast. I fasted all through my GCSES and it didn't affect my performance at all.. probably because I didn't eat at all in school in year 11..

If your someone who eats breakfast everyday, then maybe you should sit your first exam fasting and see whether it hugely affects your performance, then you can make a decision
I don't think I will fast during my exams
I won't be fasting on the days of my GCSEs because I know from past experiences of fasting during mock exams that personally it really affects my concentration. But I'll be making up for it after the exams during the summer holidays.
If i feel well enough i will fast
Original post by ABeingOnEarth
GTFO this thread with your bigoted views BRO. Fasting actually has many benefits.

when i fasted it gave me a fuking stroke ive converted now to christianity **** islam it made me crippled and fasting is ****ing stupid

Quick Reply

Latest