The Student Room Group

How can I stop bleeding marks through silly unforced errors?

Help! I got As in my AS maths and further maths but doubt I will get As in my A2s as I keep making so many mistakes. By the time I'm halfway through a paper my concentration goes and I start messing up. I cant see my own mistakes when I check - I copy a formula from one line to the next and reverse a sign, or lose a character. Any help would be appreciated!
What I do for common silly errors is make a list of the errors, and the situations in which you make them. Then make it a part of your exam technique to think at each stage about the possible errors you need to check for, and practice doing this with past papers.

The issue with this however is that it takes time in the exam so you need to be confident that you will have time.
Reply 2
Original post by Herbiechester
Help! I got As in my AS maths and further maths but doubt I will get As in my A2s as I keep making so many mistakes. By the time I'm halfway through a paper my concentration goes and I start messing up. I cant see my own mistakes when I check - I copy a formula from one line to the next and reverse a sign, or lose a character. Any help would be appreciated!

Purchase a graphics calculator, most questions can be checked on them. They're legal also
Reply 3

Exam practice.

It may seem like you're missing the A because you're prone to silly errors. But there's a good chance that with more past paper practice those errors will go.

When you become confident with a topic and keep practicing a question from that topic, you should find that you get used to the intermediate steps and will make fewer errors in your working.

If you're losing concentration like that often, you could do with more sleep. Apart from that keep practicing. Make sure the only marks lost are silly errors - everyone is prone to making a few, but you don't want to lose marks to lack of knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest