The Student Room Group

Contract Essay Question help

I have a question on how effective the law on remedies for breach of contract is, in specific relating to non-pecuniary damages and specific performance.

I'm confused as to how to answer this and what to mention. So far I have just a definition of the two topics. Any help will be appreciated
Original post by TheChampion
non-pecuniary damages

Do you mean damages for non-pecuniary loss? The damages themselves are, by definition, pecuniary.
Original post by Forum User
Do you mean damages for non-pecuniary loss? The damages themselves are, by definition, pecuniary.

I think so. Its what threw me initially when I looked at it last night.

OP just pick a position yay or nay. If you choose yay, then you want to bang on about the principles of contract and practicalities. Nay is a little more challenging, but just go for it. Avoid being caught in the middle.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
I think so. Its what threw me initially when I looked at it last night.

OP just pick a position yay or nay. If you choose yay, then you want to bang on about the principles of contract and practicalities. Nay is a little more challenging, but just go for it. Avoid being caught in the middle.

thanks for your reply. Yes I meant non-pecuniary loss. When you say the principles of contract and the practicalities do you mean the contractual formation and breach and its consequences? And also what about specific performance?

PS the essay is only 2000 words
Original post by TheChampion
thanks for your reply. Yes I meant non-pecuniary loss. When you say the principles of contract and the practicalities do you mean the contractual formation and breach and its consequences? And also what about specific performance?

PS the essay is only 2000 words

Look at the basic objective of awarding damages in contract.
Look at how much of a loss is non pecuniary. How do the courts deal with that? What is their justification? Look at what types of non pecuniary losses have been awarded and what have been rejected. Why do they choose some heads and not others? Do you think its fair and effective? Do you think specific performance is a solution that helps or hinders?

If you can answer those questions you have enough to write your essay.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Look at the basic objective of awarding damages in contract.
Look at how much of a loss is non pecuniary. How do the courts deal with that? What is their justification? Look at what types of non pecuniary losses have been awarded and what have been rejected. Why do they choose some heads and not others? Do you think its fair and effective? Do you think specific performance is a solution that helps or hinders?

If you can answer those questions you have enough to write your essay.

Thanks very much sir
Hi guys , I have an essay for contract law . I am struggling with what to include as we were advise not to talk about ADR. My question is " The idea that two capable parties should be free to contract on their own terms is now outdated due to parliamentary and judicial intervention " critically discuss this statement paying close attention to implied and expressed terms in the law of contract .
Reply 7
YOu have posted this in Law Study Help, too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending