The Student Room Group

Playing cards probability question

I need some help with this multiple choice question about probability and playing cards, I have attached it as an image, can you also explain how you work it out, thanks.
Original post by imfailingmaths
I need some help with this multiple choice question about probability and playing cards, I have attached it as an image, can you also explain how you work it out, thanks.

Is it non of the above?

I'm not sure if this question is a trick, but I don't think it's any of them. All of the fives are removed and two aces, leaving 46 cards. The probablity to get a red 5, 6 or 7 will be 4/46 as the red fives are removed, but the answer is never usually none of the above, so I'm most likely wrong.
Original post by Calzs34
I'm not sure if this question is a trick, but I don't think it's any of them. All of the fives are removed and two aces, leaving 46 cards. The probablity to get a red 5, 6 or 7 will be 4/46 as the red fives are removed, but the answer is never usually none of the above, so I'm most likely wrong.

You can always check the Marking scheme :smile:

The answer is d.

"Given that it is a red card". Well a full pack has 52/2 = 26 red cards. But we've removed four of them - the two aces and two of the 5's are red. So there are 22 red cards.

Of the 22 red cards, there are 2 red 6's and 2 red 7's, but no 5's as there aren't any 5 in the reduced deck.

So, 4 chances in 22, = 2/11.
Original post by ghostwalker
The answer is d.

"Given that it is a red card". Well a full pack has 52/2 = 26 red cards. But we've removed four of them - the two aces and two of the 5's are red. So there are 22 red cards.

Of the 22 red cards, there are 2 red 6's and 2 red 7's, but no 5's as there aren't any 5 in the reduced deck.

So, 4 chances in 22, = 2/11.

This is probably the answer :smile:, I was being silly

Quick Reply

Latest