The Student Room Group

My friend is taking 3 'arty' a-levels: is this stupid?

I thought I'd ask this after seeing what some people say about taking 'softer' A-levels here on good ol' TSR.

He's taking Art, Drama, and Graphic Products (basically Design&Technology)

I'm quite split, personally. I mean, it's quite obvious he couldn't really do anything spectacular outside of a creative-sided job (which is super hard to get into), but if that's what he wants to do - can anyone stop him? I don't even know if he'll regret it or not. He's quite a talented artist too, can draw quite well; but he's also quite clever and academic; part of me feels he's throwing his life away because he feels like being an arty person.

So... to TSR: in general, what do you think? Is it a good choice to do that or a one way ticket to McDonalds? I'd like to hear :P

EDIT: I'm not bashing this guy by the way! (Everyone thinks I am, I suppose I see where you're coming from) - I hardly talk to this person, but whenever I see all these TSR people saying it'll just make you work in McDonalds, I want to hear people's opinions. Thought it would make a good discussion.... :nope:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Throwing his talent away by being an artsy person? You can do a lot with Art or Graphics surprisingly.

If he's happy, why does it bother you? You've said that he's good at it and that he wants to go into a creative job..

You sound more like his mother than friend tbh.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Throwing his talent away by being an artsy person? You can do a lot with Art or Graphics surprisingly.

If he's happy, why does it bother you? You've said that he's good at it and that he wants to go into a creative job..

It doesn't bother me at all :eek: I've known this for about a year. I can't see how it would bother me? I asked because after seeing people saying how even doing 1 'arty' A-level makes you borderline unemployed, I'd like to hear people's opinions. It's not really about him, just using him as an example.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by laura5746352
It doesn't bother me at all :redface: I've known this for about a year. I can't see how it would bother me? I asked because after seeing people saying how even doing 1 'arty' A-level makes you borderline unemployed, I'd like to hear people's opinions. It's not really about him, just using him as an example.

Like I've said before, you can do a lot with Arts. And most employers don't care about A levels. They worry about what level your degree was at and whether you got a 2:1 or above.
(edited 7 years ago)
:colonhash:

It's his life, he could be the next Walt Disney. You don't know his potential, if that makes him happy then good for him!

You sound like a very judgemental person! :colonhash:
No :colonhash:
Artsy subjects aren't a 'one way ticket to mcdonalds' every thing you see around you has to be designed by someone and funnily enough someone has been paid to design them.

I do 2 creative ones (3 if you count history i suppose) and am surviving just fine.
as mrsheldoncooper says idk why it bothers you tbh, just leave him be
are u sure u are his friend?
Like I've said before, you can a lot with Arts. And most employers don't care about A levels. They worry about what level your degree was at and whether you got a 2:1 or above.

Ahh. To be honest, with my friend I don't think it would affect him too much, because like I said he's a talented artist. lol (In all honesty, it's not that often we talk)
Reply 8
No, that's ridiculous. And that's coming from someone with 3 maths A-Levels.
Original post by CoolCavy
No :colonhash:
Artsy subjects aren't a 'one way ticket to mcdonalds' every thing you see around you has to be designed by someone and funnily enough someone has been paid to design them.

I do 2 creative ones (3 if you count history i suppose) and am surviving just fine.
as mrsheldoncooper says idk why it bothers you tbh, just leave him be

The reason I said it's a 'one way ticket to McDonalds' because that's a quote from someone made on TSR I saw because they were commenting on someone doing 1 arty A-level lol (which is what got me to ask the question)
Artsy subjects aren't useless, but a lot of artsy degrees are and it's tough to find any jobs as a creative type, let alone good ones. As far as I'm aware those kinds of jobs rely more on portfolio and experience rather than education.
Original post by bluemadhatter
are u sure u are his friend?

Um, I would like to think so, yes.

Is everyone getting the impression I'm bashing him? Nah he's a talented artist. I'm asking because what I'm seeing on TSR
Ahh. To be honest, with my friend I don't think it would affect him too much, because like I said he's a talented artist. lol (In all honesty, it's not that often we talk)

You seem to be patronising people who do Artsy subjects. As another poster said, he could be the next Walt Disney for all you know.

Remember sweetheart, the Earth without art is just "Eh"
Um, I would like to think so, yes.

Is everyone getting the impression I'm bashing him? Nah he's a talented artist. I'm asking because what I'm seeing on TSR

You will find big headed idiots on here who will slag off anyone who doesn't do STEM. Doesn't mean what they say is right.
Reply 14
I'm asking because what I'm seeing on TSR

I wouldn't really take the word of a few circle jerking teenagers who think that the world is STEM and nothing else and take pleasure in their masturbatory devaluations of anything complementary to that at face value. Normal people wouldn't give two farts.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
:colonhash:

It's his life, he could be the next Walt Disney. You don't know his potential, if that makes him happy then good for him!

You sound like a very judgemental person! :colonhash:

PRSOM and won't be able to rep this enough.
You seem to be patronising people who do Artsy subjects. As another poster said, he could be the next Walt Disney for all you know.

What? Drama's like my favourite subject lmfao. I love the arts - I'm just making what I've seen into a discussion and using him as an example. I've really worded this wrong :nothing:

(But P.S.; I like the Earth>Art thing lol)
I know plenty of people to took so-called 'hard' subjects like Maths, Physics and Chemistry who now work in McDonalds. You cannot determine someone's future success by their choice in subjects. Like said above, he very well may be the next Walt Disney. And even if you aren't, yes it does sound like you're bashing him, or at least being very judgemental. Taking an art's subject is not 'soft' and it is stupid to suggest so.

What would the world be without Disney?

I know my childhood and even my life now (XD) would be very bland! I watched snow white a couple of weeks ago (the 1937 animated version) and it was so beautiful, gosh I'm so thankful for his work! :colondollar:
Reply 19
I thought I'd ask this after seeing what some people say about taking 'softer' A-levels here on good ol' TSR.

He's taking Art, Drama, and Graphic Products (basically Design&Technology)

I'm quite split, personally. I mean, it's quite obvious he couldn't really do anything spectacular outside of a creative-sided job (which is super hard to get into), but if that's what he wants to do - can anyone stop him? I don't even know if he'll regret it or not. He's quite a talented artist too, can draw quite well; but he's also quite clever and academic; part of me feels he's throwing his life away because he feels like being an arty person.

So... to TSR: in general, what do you think? Is it a good choice to do that or a one way ticket to McDonalds? I'd like to hear :P

EDIT: I'm not bashing this guy by the way! (Everyone thinks I am, I suppose I see where you're coming from) - I hardly talk to this person, but whenever I see all these TSR people saying it'll just make you work in McDonalds, I want to hear people's opinions. Thought it would make a good discussion.... :nope:

I don't think you're 'bashing the guy' I just think you're a concerned friend. I think after advising him you can't really do anything to change his mind so i would say just let him be. Maybe he's making the right decision maybe he's not but if he makes a mistake i'm sure he'll learn from it or he could turn out to become really successful. Just focus on yourself before you know it you'll be moving on and you probably won't even be in touch with this friend you're so concerned about.

Quick Reply

Latest