The Student Room Group

How to revise AS English poetry?

Hi! Does anyone have any tips on how to revise for the AS poetry exam? Thanks in advance!
Original post by irvingwashington
Hi! Does anyone have any tips on how to revise for the AS poetry exam? Thanks in advance!

which poet?
Original post by xAssassin786
which poet?

We're studying Duffy and Larkin. But any general tips on revision would be fantastic, should I be concentrating on themes?
We're studying Duffy and Larkin. But any general tips on revision would be fantastic, should I be concentrating on themes?

What exam board and are you doing the new specification? Because I did AQA English Literature B-which was aspects of narrative- I had to analyse poems in terms of how poets narrate their stories- choosing methods such as characterisation , structure, setting, voices and imagery.

Is it open or closed book exam?
What exam board and are you doing the new specification? Because I did AQA English Literature B-which was aspects of narrative- I had to analyse poems in terms of how poets narrate their stories- choosing methods such as characterisation , structure, setting, voices and imagery.

Is it open or closed book exam?

Hey, thanks for replying! I'm doing WJEC (Welsh exam board). Sounds a bit different, we have two anthologies of poetry, open book exam, and the exam asks us to discuss how both poets e.g. explore a certain theme. The big assessment objective is making links between both poets so I'm not sure how to revise for it? Thanks!
Hey, thanks for replying! I'm doing WJEC (Welsh exam board). Sounds a bit different, we have two anthologies of poetry, open book exam, and the exam asks us to discuss how both poets e.g. explore a certain theme. The big assessment objective is making links between both poets so I'm not sure how to revise for it? Thanks!

Hey! I had to do something similar for my exam, and am studying English at uni now, so maybe I can help!
Personally, I drew up mind maps for all the main themes e.g. love etc. and then put poems coming off these and maybe specific quotes as well.
It's also good if you have the time to have a mind map for each poem, highlighting the key themes in this and key quotes that you can transfer into the other mind maps.
If you learn better from listening, check out the poems on youtube, because someone has probably read them! Sometimes they stress different parts, and it helps you see new elements to the poem.
This worked for me, so I hope this helps, let me know if you want any more advice! -Sarah

My strategy is looking for key quotes for themes- I then analyse these quotes in terms language, form and structure- what method has been used, what effect does it create and why the author poet has used. To get an A, you would need to look at these methods and think of alternative meanings and how it links to particular themes.
Do as many past papers as you can as it will give you an indication of type of question might come up.

Comparing both poets is quite straightforward- firstly, explore how both poems share themes and ideas- research the poems and their contextual background, critical readings and poet's background. All these are essential and could help to compare.

For example, for my coursework, I had to compare Dracula and A Streetcar Named Desire- I looked at how both texts explore a dystopian world- I had to look for quotes on how they are similar.

Similarly, in the poems, you can analyse poems and explain in the exam how both poems explore love or compassion. Try to talk about a wide range of methods to get a higher grade. Talking only about language techniques is not good.
Talk about sentence structure, iambic pentameter, causera, enjambment etc. And imagery, narrative voice(tone, bias and mood), setting and characterisation.

Good luck!!!
My strategy is looking for key quotes for themes- I then analyse these quotes in terms language, form and structure- what method has been used, what effect does it create and why the author poet has used. To get an A, you would need to look at these methods and think of alternative meanings and how it links to particular themes.
Do as many past papers as you can as it will give you an indication of type of question might come up.

Comparing both poets is quite straightforward- firstly, explore how both poems share themes and ideas- research the poems and their contextual background, critical readings and poet's background. All these are essential and could help to compare.

For example, for my coursework, I had to compare Dracula and A Streetcar Named Desire- I looked at how both texts explore a dystopian world- I had to look for quotes on how they are similar.

Similarly, in the poems, you can analyse poems and explain in the exam how both poems explore love or compassion. Try to talk about a wide range of methods to get a higher grade. Talking only about language techniques is not good.
Talk about sentence structure, iambic pentameter, causera, enjambment etc. And imagery, narrative voice(tone, bias and mood), setting and characterisation.

Good luck!!!

Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending