The Student Room Group

translating horizontally a graph of cubic function

Hi Guys.
I have a certain function f(x) that crosses y-axis at the point (0,12) and i move it 2 units horizontally f(x-2) in the positive direction, does the y intercept become (2,12)?? i get a value of y intercept at (0,126) in the new equation tho when i plug in zero for x to find value of y.
im not sure which one is the new y intercept, (0,126) or (2,12)? thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Alen.m
Hi Guys.
I have a certain function f(x) that crosses y-axis at the point (0,12) and i move it 2 units horizontally f(x-2) in the positive direction, does the y intercept become (2,12)?? i get a value of y intercept at (0,126) in the new equation tho when i plug in zero for x to find value of y.
im not sure which one is the new y intercept, (0,126) or (2,12)? thanks

Does a y-intercept of (2, 12) make sense? Think about it - what is the definition of a y-intercept? It's when x = 0.

So does saying that when x=0, we have ( x=2 and y = 12)?

When you translate the function, the point (-2, 126) becomes (0, 126) which is your y-intercept.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Does a y-intercept of (2, 12) make sense? Think about it - what is the definition of a y-intercept? It's when x = 0.

So does saying that when x=0, we have ( x=2 and y = 12)?

When you translate the function, the point (-2, 126) becomes (0, 126) which is your y-intercept.

i was gonna remove the thread the minute after i've posted this thread but forgot lol such stupid question i've asked :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Alen.m
i was gonna remove the thread the minute after i've posted this thread but forgot lol such stupid question i've asked :frown:

It's not a stupid question. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest