The Student Room Group

Celebrating Diversity

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Nah, the supposedly secular state schools that cram Church of England *******s down schools childrens' throats and used to shout at us for not preying in assemblies. They can **** off as well.

Not really the "religious baddies" in the scheme of things mate
Original post by RobML
Not really the "religious baddies" in the scheme of things mate

Neither are the seven yr olds that don't want to prey.
Reply 42
Neither are the seven yr olds that don't want to prey.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say
Original post by RobML
I'm not sure what you're trying to say

It doesn't matter if primary school children don't want to prey. We shouldn't be forcing them to prey to Mecca or to the Christian God. Especially schools that are supposed to be secular and the parents sent them to that school because it wasn't a religious school, a decision made based on the parents experience with the misery of growing up with religion themselves and wanting to spare their children from it.
It doesn't matter if primary school children don't want to prey.

Are you aware of the difference between preying and praying? I'd hope that children, or, indeed, adults, do neither but inner-city areas being what they are I'm sure a lot of both goes on.
Original post by Foo.mp3

while it is true that some people we let in/home grown are despicable, posting image like this will only lead people to believe that only brown skin people rapes, and all brown skin behaves in the same manner, condones rapes.
Original post by Good bloke
I'd rather be in a position to celebrate integration and assimilation. Unfortunately, that won't be for a while.

Everyone always says that thing about wanting immigrants to assimilate our cuilture. Do tell me exactly what you think they should br asssimilating.
Original post by SophieBarlow87
Everyone always says that thing about wanting immigrants to assimilate our cuilture. Do tell me exactly what you think they should br asssimilating.

Some examples:

Learning our language.

Not isolating themselves in ghettoes or by keeping women at home.

Completely abandoning barbaric superstitious and social practices like FGM and forced or coerced marriages.

Accepting that our society is different from what they have come from and embracing it rather than seeking to find enclaves of their compatriots.

Seeking education about our society.

Finding spouses from the population rather than importing them from their homeland.

Respecting the law rather than adopting such practices as honour killings, lynchings and vigilantism.

Understanding our moral values and freer attitudes on freedom of choice, young adults, women, clothing, contraception, abortion, homosexuality, expressing opinions etc.

Supporting and showing allegiance to the nation and its society rather than archaic superstitious beliefs.

Actively seeking to be a part of the wider society rather than making friends or working only with people closely resembling their own cultural, religious and ethnic background.

Bringing up their children educated and well-versed in our society, rather than in the the society and culture of their homeland.

They should not expect any western society to be welcoming or easy on people who strictly follow any superstitious beliefs and who seek to prioritise those beliefs over assimilation into that society. Nor should they seek to change that society to be more compliant with their old culture.
Some examples:

Learning our language.

Not isolating themselves in ghettoes or by keeping women at home.

Completely abandoning barbaric superstitious and social practices like FGM and forced or coerced marriages.

Accepting that our society is different from what they have come from and embracing it rather than seeking to find enclaves of their compatriots.

Seeking education about our society.

Finding spouses from the population rather than importing them from their homeland.

Respecting the law rather than adopting such practices as honour killings, lynchings and vigilantism.

Understanding our moral values and freer attitudes on freedom of choice, young adults, women, clothing, contraception, abortion, homosexuality, expressing opinions etc.

Supporting and showing allegiance to the nation and its society rather than archaic superstitious beliefs.

Actively seeking to be a part of the wider society rather than making friends or working only with people closely resembling their own cultural, religious and ethnic background.

Bringing up their children educated and well-versed in our society, rather than in the the society and culture of their homeland.

They should not expect any western society to be welcoming or easy on people who strictly follow any superstitious beliefs and who seek to prioritise those beliefs over assimilation into that society. Nor should they seek to change that society to be more compliant with their old culture.

Except that none of that is common to our society except the law and the language. Lots of people try really hard to learn other languages and still cant especially when theyre older. Most children of immigrants speak english fluently.
We all have different beliefs about contraception,, abortion etx, many many british people are fighting to have those rights taken away from us. Why is it worse when immigrants do it?
Again, lots of english people have coerced marriages, lots of people are told who to marry when etc. Remember when will married kate and everyone was talking about how it was a surprise because she wasnt an aristocrat!? Thats because most of the royal family have arranged marriages. Again, i dont believe in it but its nor worse because they are immigrants.
I dont show allegiance to this country. I have no patriotic feeling whatsoever, but im not told to conform to society simply because its apparently worse if youre an immigrant.
Marry someone from this country? Dont only hang around with people of the same ethnicity? Well first of all, sounds like youre telling people who to marry, which apparently is only something immirants do. Second, most peoples friends are those of similar backgrounds and upbringings, whats so wrong with that? Im an atheist for example, i dont have a lot of religious friends. I guess i should be "assimilating" huh given that britain is majoritively christian?
Societies do not infact have one religion, one way of thinking. There is no reason for particularly immigrants to change who they are tpo *assimilate". What happened to the days when we preached individuality?
Original post by SophieBarlow87
Except that none of that is common to our society except the law and the language. Lots of people try really hard to learn other languages and still cant especially when theyre older. Most children of immigrants speak english fluently.

We all have different beliefs about contraception,, abortion etx, many many british people are fighting to have those rights taken away from us. Why is it worse when immigrants do it? But we all accept that the law holds the trump card and that it is the view of society as a whole that prevails. We all accept that

Again, lots of english people have coerced marriages, Do they? I am truly astonished. Evidence? lots of people are told who to marry when etc. No they aren't.

Remember when will married kate and everyone was talking about how it was a surprise because she wasnt an aristocrat!? Rubbish. Nether was Diana an aristocrat, a whole generation before. Thats because most of the royal family have arranged marriages. Not any more. Are you living 75 years ago? Again, i dont believe in it but its nor worse because they are immigrants.

I dont show allegiance to this country. I have no patriotic feeling whatsoever, but im not told to conform to society simply because its apparently worse if youre an immigrant. But you don't hold your superstitious beliefs up as being more important than the security of the country and the lives of fellow citizens, which many immigrants do. And, if there were another big war you would be conscripted and accept it.

Marry someone from this country? I believe we should not automatic give residency to spouses from abroad.

Dont only hang around with people of the same ethnicity? Who mentioned ethnicity? Well first of all, sounds like youre telling people who to marry, which apparently is only something immirants do. Second, most peoples friends are those of similar backgrounds and upbringings, whats so wrong with that? Im an atheist for example, i dont have a lot of religious friends. I guess i should be "assimilating" huh given that britain is majoritively christian? No, it is mainly secular, non-religious.

Societies do not infact have one religion, one way of thinking. Who said they do. Tolerance is common here.

There is no reason for particularly immigrants to change who they are tpo *assimilate". What happened to the days when we preached individuality? Individuality within the norms is one thing, bringing new norms, especially when you preach them aggressively is quite another.

The need for a coherent (in terms of outlook, not ethnicity) society is paramount. The stresses that are already evident through Islamic immigration in particular are causing, and will cause, massive problems.

See above.
The need for a coherent (in terms of outlook, not ethnicity) society is paramount. The stresses that are already evident through Islamic immigration in particular are causing, and will cause, massive problems.

See above.

Yes the law does trump, and if people break the law, they will be prosecuted regardless of who they are. You mentioned forced or coerced marriages. Coercion is very different to forcing- a lot of people will be coerced into doing things. Im sure you wont disagree with me, when i say that there are many british parents who stop their kids from going out with particular people, or make it so difficult for people to be together and still be a part of their family.
I absolutely despise conscription, and there are lots of people protesting for the right to object to going to war. See, look at that, people trying to change societies norms.
People's religion amd cultures dominate our political system. Thats why christians protest outside of abportion clinics (yes they do even though it isnt as talked about as in america) and protest gay marriage and the like. And yet you only seem to be taking issue with it as long as the people doing it are muslim immigrants. I go to a very mixed college.I know lots of muslim people in this county, i know lots of british christians and atheists in this country. I have heard many english people say that they think women who have abortions should be put in jail, and i know muslims who say it. I know english people who believe every woman should have right to choose and i know muslim people who believe that. (Fyi im not saying english and muslim are mutally exclusive).
Just for your information, the 2011 census said that 58.8% of british people call themselves christian and just 26.13% as having no religion. Islamic immigration is causing problems. Saying that people are sexist or whatever because they are muslims and immigrants just takes responsibility away from those peop!e.
Some examples:

Learning our language. They do

Not isolating themselves in ghettoes or by keeping women at home. Nobody forces women to stay at home, they have different values

Completely abandoning barbaric superstitious and social practices like FGM and forced or coerced marriages. Yes, but lets not pretend westerners dont have their own barbaric practices, like getting so drunk they throw up every other day

Accepting that our society is different from what they have come from and embracing it rather than seeking to find enclaves of their compatriots. Its natural to seek similar people, esp. with racism and islamophobia

Seeking education about our society. Integration is a two way street. Have you tried learning their culture too?

Finding spouses from the population rather than importing them from their homeland. Whats wrong with that? Love is love

Understanding our moral values and freer attitudes on freedom of choice, young adults, women, clothing, contraception, abortion, homosexuality, expressing opinions etc. Again, why not give some thought - just a little, it wont kill you - to learn about their moral values too

Supporting and showing allegiance to the nation and its society rather than archaic superstitious beliefs. The concept of a nation is archaic

Bringing up their children educated and well-versed in our society, rather than in the the society and culture of their homeland. they generally do

Original post by Multiculturalism
The concept of a nation is archaic

Absolutely not! The Syrian nation and, even more obviously, the Islamic State, have failed to protect their citizens, which is the first duty (and whole point) of a nation. The UK is attractive to immigrants precisely because it does a good job as a nation and protects its citizens.

Nations require strong cohesion and homogeneity to be successful.
Reply 53
Long live diversity!

Original post by Wōden
Long live diversity!

diversity is fine, but within the limits of our democratic order, based on no discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual preference or political opinion

in other words : while expressing opinions (within the limits of the law) is OK, we should determinedly oppose with all our forces those who want to reintroduce in our system those discriminations : including those who advocate executing apostates, adulterers, flogging fornicators, amputating thieves, introducing laws on blasphemy, gender segregation, separate fiscal systems on the basis of religion, legal obstacles to inter-religious marriages, subordination of females in marriage and disadvantages with regard to their rights in divorce, inheritance, custody matters

we fought hard in the past for the development of our secular representative democracies : and we should be ready to defend them with all of our forces against their enemies, whatever their race, religion or political orientation
Original post by Multiculturalism
.The concept of a nation is archaic.
what absolute balderdash

the concept of nation is the basis of world order: supra-national institutions are still in their infancy and widely ineffective (UN) or faced by serious difficulties (EU)

but perhaps you consider that the concept of "Ummah" is more modern ?
Original post by Wōden
Long live diversity!

Fixed it for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending