The Student Room Group

Cash out for £72k or see it through for £250k?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
I think the bookies have taken too much of a hit (reported to be £10mil for the lot of them) and too many people will be taking a punt next season after this year.

I'd be surprised if we see any with odds as long as even 1000/1.

Do those loss figures take into consideration how much money people betted on the other 19 teams to win the league?
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Do those loss figures take into consideration how much money people betted on the other 19 teams to win the league?

Doubt it. I imagine it's just the liability they have on Leicester winning. No doubt there was tons of money put on the usual 4-6 teams which the bookies get. Would be interesting to see how much was placed on teams winning like you say.
They'll change the odds but that's more because the playing field is more even and harder to predict now, as much as the loss. If you were to think up odds for next season you would give better odds to the smaller teams than you would've done last season.

If Chelsea, City, United, Arsenal and Liverpool were to finish generally top 5 for the next couple of seasons the odds would go back to normal.

I'm assuming odds have a science to it anyway, otherwise every long shot would just be 1000/1. If someone's betting on no-chancers then £1k or £5k makes no difference to whether they make that bet.
Someone bet 50p on Leicester to win and cashed out after the first match, losing 5p. Ladbrokes are trying to contact him and give him a consolation prize.
Reply 84
Original post by Neverdie
Someone bet 50p on Leicester to win and cashed out after the first match, losing 5p. Ladbrokes are trying to contact him and give him a consolation prize.

but they won their first match
Reply 85
Original post by difeo

#exposed
Reply 86
Cash out
See it through.

Do you lot reckon Tom.Gotze still thinks Leicester will finish outside top 4?
Cash out, I don't know much about competitive football lol

Lol how can you bottle a 50p bet after one game ffs
Original post by difeo

There was more than one match on the opening day of the Premier League.

Lol how can you bottle a 50p bet after one game ffs

I guess it was a joke. I'm not sure why people bet on Leicester and whoever else, none of them would have been serious bets, so who knows. But I also can't comprehend someone throwing money away (however small) so they can go 'lol im so random'.
Reply 91
There was more than one match on the opening day of the Premier League.

Cheers Geoff

Leicester's first match, obviously
Original post by difeo
Cheers Geoff

Leicester's first match, obviously

Do you understand what I was saying?
I guess it was a joke. I'm not sure why people bet on Leicester and whoever else, none of them would have been serious bets, so who knows. But I also can't comprehend someone throwing money away (however small) so they can go 'lol im so random'.

BBC had an article a few weeks back where they spoke to a few people who had backed Leicester and most of them were Leicester fans which is fair enough but one of them, who wasn't a Leicester, tried to make out like he knew all along. He went on about how he thought they could compete at the top after their finish last season and even more so when Ranieri was appointed. What a load of nonsense! :lol:

I imagine there will be a rise in the amount of bets placed on 1000/1+ teams next season because people are idiots.
I wonder if Arsenal were odds on to finish 4th at the start of the season. Anything better than evens and put your house on it.
I wonder if Arsenal were odds on to finish 4th at the start of the season. Anything better than evens and put your house on it.

I doubt it given that they'd just beaten Mourinho's Chelsea for the first time ever. You'd have got some good money on that back in August.
Reply 96
Do you understand what I was saying?

Yeah
Original post by TheMagicRat
BBC had an article a few weeks back where they spoke to a few people who had backed Leicester and most of them were Leicester fans which is fair enough but one of them, who wasn't a Leicester, tried to make out like he knew all along. He went on about how he thought they could compete at the top after their finish last season and even more so when Ranieri was appointed. What a load of nonsense! :lol:

I imagine there will be a rise in the amount of bets placed on 1000/1+ teams next season because people are idiots.

Even fans betting on their own team to do something ridiculous I don't understand.

1000/1 teams on a top 4 finish wouldn't be bad. It would only cost a few pound per year for something that happens often enough, and if you never win it would've only cost you a day's work per decade.
Hoying a fiver down on your team to win the league every season isn't bad at all. Better use of your money than buying lottery tickets yet millions of people seem to think that's a good idea.
You buffoons, they did it easy

Quick Reply

Latest