The Student Room Group

Dating a mate's ex

Poll

Date a mate's ex

And I mean you've a real friendship with them like know for 1+ years
And they were in a real relationship, been together solid for 1+ year with the other person
Would you?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think so, even if they said yes.
Depends why they split. How much you like her. A bit what your friend is like.
I've been in this situation before. This girl knew our business, our fights. We breakup and boom.
i value my friendships more than guys tbh..too much stress. Im sure you'll find someone tho
I trust in my friends judgement therefore if they broke up with someone, I would trust that it was for good reason and I would stay away from that person. Besides its kinda a silent betray of trust esp if their break up ended messy/bad.
Reply 6
Unlikely - voted never.

Only in very certain circumstances I might consider it (i.e. it was a fling, not serious, they didn't care etc)
I've had friends do it to me and I still hate them for doing it, massive disrespect. Had the last laugh with that one since they only went out with my friend to make me jealous to get me back :u:
Reply 7
Not if they were together for a year. If it was a 1 month thing then maybe but I highly doubt it. Brocode right?
Reply 8
That depends on what why they broke up, if I consider the guy as a really good friend or not, if I really love the girl, if I think it can be something serious etc. So yeah, maybe.
Reply 9
Just know when you have sex your dick will be indirectly touching your friend's dick
I've done this twice :redface:
There's really no telling. They could have been in a relationship for a year but never really completely opened up to each other and gotten really serious. It also depends on how the relationship ended, how long ago it was/whether he's completely over her and whether or not they're still in contact or, more importantly really, if they are then what terms they're on. In either sense, always talk it over with your friend first. If there are kids involved as well then that makes it awkward, my best mate has kids with his ex and I'd never get with her because I know he'd feel weird about me moving in and taking on the role of step-father to his kids, even though I've known them since birth and they see me as an uncle it's still weird.
I personally wouldn't do it

Spoiler

Original post by 999tigger
Depends why they split. How much you like her. A bit what your friend is like.

So if you being this person's friend have witnessed their ups and downs and what have you and then they finally split you'd move in on him/her? I think it depends on your last bit only tbh if your friend don't mind but still I think nites out would be weird... lol
If he dates a former fling of mine sure. A long term relationship if we ended tragically it depends on how relieved I am that we've finally split. If I've made it clear that I've feelings for her still and he creeps on her and he says, "Well you two aren't together anymore though!" Idk about that.
Original post by WoodyMKC
There's really no telling. They could have been in a relationship for a year but never really completely opened up to each other and gotten really serious. It also depends on how the relationship ended, how long ago it was/whether he's completely over her and whether or not they're still in contact or, more importantly really, if they are then what terms they're on. In either sense, always talk it over with your friend first. If there are kids involved as well then that makes it awkward, my best mate has kids with his ex and I'd never get with her because I know he'd feel weird about me moving in and taking on the role of step-father to his kids, even though I've known them since birth and they see me as an uncle it's still weird.

Oh yea the kids thing is untouchable territory, I wouldn't even consider. That's more than weird that is.
Original post by Anonymous
I've done this twice :redface:

And how'd that turn out for ya...
Original post by 0to100
So if you being this person's friend have witnessed their ups and downs and what have you and then they finally split you'd move in on him/her? I think it depends on your last bit only tbh if your friend don't mind but still I think nites out would be weird... lol

Not really Im happy to think all the things I mentioned are relevant. The point is they arent together any more and she is free to date whom she pleases. People move on. I would be respectful of my friend, but they are only one of the factors to consider.
Original post by Inazuma
Unlikely - voted never.

Only in very certain circumstances I might consider it (i.e. it was a fling, not serious, they didn't care etc)
I've had friends do it to me and I still hate them for doing it, massive disrespect. Had the last laugh with that one since they only went out with my friend to make me jealous to get me back :u:

Lol nice and I agree 100% unforgivable disrespect, I think like I would think "have you been formulating plans to get in her pants before this, just waiting for us to break up?" Like I'm not so emotional with my friends, I essentially have them for a good time and last minute help. But still meantime I need people round me I can trust.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending