The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Goood Luckkckckck
Good luck everyone! Hope we get the grades we want!!

Praying Q1 isn't a dick!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FaithKG
Hey, if it's not too late... Can you summarise how to write a formal report??

Hey! You can go about it in quite a few ways, you basically have the freedom to do what you want with it!
You can just split it off into each bullet point- you can pack the points in there!

I've been taught to do this- this is on the very formal end of the spectrum though:

Aim : What you're inspecting
Date of Inspection:

Observations:
1: one point
(you can add more details using 1a,1b,1c bullet points here)

Conclusions:

Recommendations:

Signature:

Name of Inspector:

FULL SENTENCES NEEDED! No Q1 will assess you on writing in notes and using informal language.

Also: don't forget that you can get a magazine report here as well! I don't think there's been a talk since the 2013 june paper so there's a possibility of that coming up!

Good luck for today!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bushes1309
hi, do you know the exact marks you got for both your written coursework and your speaking and listening and would you be willing to share them pleaseee?

Hey!

I can't help you on that one, unfortunately. I know that I got 29/30 on the speaking but I'm not too sure on the coursework. I thought I got 36/40 and 9/10 for the other bit but I don;t think that's the case! :s-smilie::s-smilie:

Anyway, good luck for today! Hopefully the exam paper won't be hellish like last years!
Reply 644
Good luck everyone! Remember, don't go into the exam set on an amount of marks you need. Try your absolute hardest and achieve the best mark that you can. Just remember to keep your bullet points balanced in your answer to question 1.
Original post by batbat1306
Hey! You can go about it in quite a few ways, you basically have the freedom to do what you want with it!
You can just split it off into each bullet point- you can pack the points in there!

I've been taught to do this- this is on the very formal end of the spectrum though:

Aim : What you're inspecting
Date of Inspection:

Observations:
1: one point
(you can add more details using 1a,1b,1c bullet points here)

Conclusions:

Recommendations:

Signature:

Name of Inspector:

Also: don't forget that you can get a magazine report here as well! I don't think there's been a talk since the 2013 june paper so there's a possibility of that coming up!

Good luck for today!

Hey! Sorry, but do you mind telling me what the structure for a magazine report if its not too late. Thanks!
Original post by x_geniya_jery_x
Hey! Sorry, but do you mind telling me what the structure for a magazine report if its not too late. Thanks!

There's no exact structure to a magazine report. I would just say that it's slightly less formal than a newspaper article (a little more subjective at points, possibly) with one paragraph per bullet point.
Original post by batbat1306
There's no exact structure to a magazine report. I would just say that it's slightly less formal than a newspaper article (a little more subjective at points, possibly) with one paragraph per bullet point.

Thank you! Good luck! Hoping it's a letter,speech or an interview.
Reply 648
Good luck everybody! Make sure to try your best and be sure to share how you got on with the paper.
How would you write a talk/speech? 1st person?
Reply 650
exam day, good luck all!
Reply 651
I have mine today... AHHHH so nervous :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! I hope you all do well. :biggrin:
Finished my paper. I live in India so I'm doing the paper (0500) which is different from what you guys are doing. We got an informal letter (remember you guys will probably get something else) and hopefully the mark scheme won't be too harsh and I kinda rushed the writer's effect :/
Reply 655
Original post by ibrahim11
How would you write a talk/speech? 1st person?

For a Speech , it is almost certainly formal, however the Character's voice is crucial . You must also use RHETORIC devices.

Hope this helps.
Reply 656
Just to remind you guys, to always read the instructions carefully because SOMETIMES the passage is different to the character they want you to answer in.
Good luck everyone try your hardest

#wecandothis 💯💯💯
For question 2, how should you write the first effect introduction before you go into the writers effect?
Is dialogue even on the syllabus this year, since we were told it wasn't??:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending