The Student Room Group

STEM snobbery

Scroll to see replies

They can say whatever they want, I did languages related degree and very happy about it :gah:
Original post by Rhythmical
Son? I am a girl and I want to do Law haha.

Law is a reputable degree. Not sure about been lucrative

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by Trapz99
Economics is what the real master race does.

hahaha true that XD
Reply 63
Original post by kkboyk
Science in a way does involve creativity (e.g. Engineering and also programming in Comp Sci).

thats why i said as well as sciences :P
Reply 64
Have you finished A level ?
(edited 7 years ago)
STEM students are gay.
Original post by iEthan
I think snobbery in regards to what people study is ridiculous and only highlights the obvious insecurities of the person criticising you for doing what you love. I'm a languages student, often I'm criticised for doing languages. But to me, it doesn't matter. I bloody love languages and I know that I'll enjoy studying them and using them in later life. If someone criticises you for doing what you love, nod and smile; then walk away. :yes:

Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare currunt.
Original post by the bear
Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare currunt.
Beautifully put.
Original post by uberteknik
Beautifully put.

Aequa lege necessitas sortitur insignes et imos
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Just under half of the people nationally who take A level Maths get an A or above in it. When you consider this, I don't think Maths is as hard as it's made out to be.

Correlation =/= causation.

Maths is objective with a clearer exam technique and marking syllabus. This doesn't necessarily make maths itself easier than a subject where, say, just under half of students get a grade B. I would say maths is conceptually more difficult than most other A-levels but once you have passed that hurdle it is 'easier' to get a higher grade. Arts are the opposite where the theory and understanding is easier but getting a high grade is less probable even when the material has been fully understood.
I would rather study what I find INTERESTING than study a STEM subject, get money but HATE my job. :h:
Reply 71
I got AAB offers from Exeter and Warwick (both suggested a range of AAA-AAB), studying no 'facilitating subjects' one of them was even media studies (also psychology and Philosophy & Ethics.) Facilitating subjects don't mean much, if you want to succeed at A Levels, you need to do subjects you're good at, but more importantly ENJOY! Subjects like Latin are considered 'facilitating' but I doubt many universities ask for this for many courses at all. Don't worry about facilitating subjects, getting offers from Russell Group universities is still within reach without them, true without STEM a levels you won't be able to do STEM degrees, but if you're not interested in STEM then that is irrelevant!
Reply 72
Original post by punkroses
I would rather study what I find INTERESTING than study a STEM subject, get money but HATE my job. :h:

Very smart! A Levels are for choosing what you want, not having to do 'core subjects.' If you don't want to do STEM later on, then why do it now?
Original post by punkroses

A lot of us that pick STEM subjects do so because it's what we we are interested in, not for the money.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems you've made the assumption that STEM subject = boring, but well paid. ?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Just under half of the people nationally who take A level Maths get an A or above in it. When you consider this, I don't think Maths is as hard as it's made out to be.

You can't make statements about the difficulty of maths based on A-level maths. You have to consider real maths.
Reply 75
I'm a STEM student but I personally really admire those who do arts because it takes a lot of courage to do what you truly love even if it doesn't yield the best career/financial results. Many STEM students are only studying their degree because they think it's a safer choice in terms of job security. It takes guts to take a risk by studying arts. This doesn't mean that arts students can't get a stable job, it's just harder for them to do so. Personally, I think it's better to study what you like and be happy than study something you hate/don't care about and be miserable.
I chose to study a STEM subject simply because I was not that great at the arts and they did not interest me as much as science. As for difficulty, I don't think STEM subjects are any more difficult than arts. Both require critical thinking and essay based exams are tough too. The only reason I can think of why STEM subjects are deemed to be harder is because bright students tend to go for those areas because they are encouraged to by society and because STEM courses have a greater amount of class hours in uni in comparison to arts courses.
Original post by Yashvi
I'm a STEM student but I personally really admire those who do arts because it takes a lot of courage to do what you truly love even if it doesn't yield the best career/financial results. Many STEM students are only studying their degree because they think it's a safer choice in terms of job security. It takes guts to take a risk by studying arts. This doesn't mean that arts students can't get a stable job, it's just harder for them to do so. Personally, I think it's better to study what you like and be happy than study something you hate/don't care about and be miserable.
I chose to study a STEM subject simply because I was not that great at the arts and they did not interest me as much as science. As for difficulty, I don't think STEM subjects are any more difficult than arts. Both require critical thinking and essay based exams are tough too. The only reason I can think of why STEM subjects are deemed to be harder is because bright students tend to go for those areas because they are encouraged to by society and because STEM courses have a greater amount of class hours in uni in comparison to arts courses.

Preach it. Probably the most sensible comment in this thread.
Original post by hezzlington
A lot of us that pick STEM subjects do so because it's what we we are interested in, not for the money.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems you've made the assumption that STEM subject = boring, but well paid. ?

That's mainly why people are "snobs" about other subjects though isn't it? Because they aren't well paid safe fields for jobs or because they're "easy". :h: I have never enjoyed science, people I talk to who plan to study STEM seem to do it because they find it easy and because it's well paid, but are they really going to enjoy it? I'm more into politics and the arts you see so maybe I was presumptive to assume many people study it for money, there is something interesting about physics and doctors have to work day and night so it's not all about money but a couple of STEM subjects seem to be studied mainly for good pay, good working hours and what not, that's just my opinion though. :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TMC113
Very smart! A Levels are for choosing what you want, not having to do 'core subjects.' If you don't want to do STEM later on, then why do it now?

True true and people often excel most at what they enjoy anyway rather than something they don't. :smile:
Reply 79
Yeah GCSE maths is all you need for most things, universities will almost always want at least a C, some look for Bs, I remember Bath wanted an A in maths for psychology. But seriously, the facilitating subjects aren't that relevant overall. I saw on another thread, that someone who applied for the same course (psychology) at Exeter was offered AAA, and did two facilitating subjects. Whereas I got AAB with no facilitating subjects, so they're not that essential! Don't do a subject which you don't enjoy, you must do what you like studying, if you don't then you won't be prepared to carry out extensive studying and won't achieve your full potential
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest