The Student Room Group

Revision Thus Far

Hello,

Just to create a thread to see how much revision everyone has done in total for their Highers this year up to this point.

Personally I've done 77 hours so just want to see how this compares; last year for my National 5s I revised 24 hours total and got 8 As but gathered this year that, given I have the time, I might as well go for it such that I feel satisfied and confident.

A rough indication of how much you've done as a time would be appreciated just out of interest, or even just, "Not much, hmm not bad, enough I feel" etc.!

Thanks and best of luck with your examinations chaps!

Scroll to see replies

I'm in S4 doing my N5's and have no idea of how many hours I have studied so I can't comment.
However I am curious to know what study methods you used if you got 8A's by only studying for 24 hours in total?
Reply 2
Original post by ___Sophie___
I'm in S4 doing my N5's and have no idea of how many hours I have studied so I can't comment.
However I am curious to know what study methods you used if you got 8A's by only studying for 24 hours in total?

Hello,

Last year my only revision was the day before, it doesn't seem great but to me it really helped, I'd essentially go over the whole course in a couple of hours the day before and then just fire it all back out in the exam.

I tend to learn at the point I'm taught it, because I question a lot of things, so things stick, I'd say if anything for next year make sure that when you're taught something, you never ever leave that classroom without fully understanding it.

I was aiming for 8 A band 1s last year however I fell short due to my chemistry assignment being 8/20 (I don't even know how) and drama (I took drama just because I couldn't take computing in that column, an A band 1 would have been a tough ask). But this year I don't think I could do it the day before because more understanding is required. The biggest disappointment that I feel more revision could have helped: I was aiming for 100% in maths, ended up hitting 97% make sure you simplify surds, that's what I missed out on.

Thanks for the reply and I'm sure you'll do great.
Original post by BFCBP
Hello,

Last year my only revision was the day before, it doesn't seem great but to me it really helped, I'd essentially go over the whole course in a couple of hours the day before and then just fire it all back out in the exam.

I tend to learn at the point I'm taught it, because I question a lot of things, so things stick, I'd say if anything for next year make sure that when you're taught something, you never ever leave that classroom without fully understanding it.

I was aiming for 8 A band 1s last year however I fell short due to my chemistry assignment being 8/20 (I don't even know how) and drama (I took drama just because I couldn't take computing in that column, an A band 1 would have been a tough ask). But this year I don't think I could do it the day before because more understanding is required. The biggest disappointment that I feel more revision could have helped: I was aiming for 100% in maths, ended up hitting 97% make sure you simplify surds, that's what I missed out on.

Thanks for the reply and I'm sure you'll do great.

Thank you, that's pretty impressive and best of luck with your highers :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you, that's pretty impressive and best of luck with your highers :smile:

Thank you, just make sure you do lots of past papers, don't worry if there is something you can't do in general or credit ones from standard grade, just use anything you can!

How do you feel about them atm anyway?
Original post by BFCBP
Thank you, just make sure you do lots of past papers, don't worry if there is something you can't do in general or credit ones from standard grade, just use anything you can!

How do you feel about them atm anyway?

Well we do nine national 5's but for administration the assignment is 100% of your grade.
I stupidly picked 2 sciences, chemistry and physics, and I don't want to do anything science related in the future. I'm a bit worried about the sciences so I guess the paper needs to be good on the day if I want an A otherwise I'll get a B but I don't think it will be anything less than a B.
For my other 7 subjects I'm feeling pretty confident and I'm aiming for 7 A band 1's and I would love to get full marks for the 3 languages that I'm doing - French, German, Spanish.
I would love to get 9A's but it just depends on the sciences which I have done quite a lot of studying for so hopefully I will :smile:
I'm in sixth year, predicted AAAB and I have no idea how many hours I've done as I don't count. I feel pretty confident about my first two exams which are geography and media as I've revised a lot for them, however I've hardly done any revision for business or modern studies.

I usually do around 6 hours of revision a day. I revise for an hour and then take a short break. I never used to do this until this year and now my revision seems a lot more effective and I can remember stuff a lot more easily as I'm not so exhausted and stressed from so much.
Reply 7
Well we do nine national 5's but for administration the assignment is 100% of your grade.
I stupidly picked 2 sciences, chemistry and physics, and I don't want to do anything science related in the future. I'm a bit worried about the sciences so I guess the paper needs to be good on the day if I want an A otherwise I'll get a B but I don't think it will be anything less than a B.
For my other 7 subjects I'm feeling pretty confident and I'm aiming for 7 A band 1's and I would love to get full marks for the 3 languages that I'm doing - French, German, Spanish.
I would love to get 9A's but it just depends on the sciences which I have done quite a lot of studying for so hopefully I will :smile:

Ah, I see, last year I took three sciences and this year as well. I very much enjoy them although Higher Physics is not my favourite; I seem to have lost the knack for it...

Well, best of luck and if you remember on results day I would love to hear how you do.

Best of luck.
Original post by BFCBP
Ah, I see, last year I took three sciences and this year as well. I very much enjoy them although Higher Physics is not my favourite; I seem to have lost the knack for it...

Well, best of luck and if you remember on results day I would love to hear how you do.

Best of luck.

Thank you :smile:
****ing hell

I'm a first year medical student, have an exam in 20ish days and even I'm not doing 6 hours a day.
Reply 10
Original post by Pennyarcade
****ing hell

I'm a first year medical student, have an exam in 20ish days and even I'm not doing 6 hours a day.

I have been doing 3 hours a day and for me that is insane, I usually do an average of 0.

I'm hoping to do medicine as well, where you studying?
**** really need to start studying. Cba though :colonhash: Need to finish a bloody daybook first as well.
Reply 12
Original post by chopinfan
**** really need to start studying. Cba though :colonhash: Need to finish a bloody daybook first as well.

Hahaha, want to know what's funny? My entire chemistry daybook + researching chemistry went missing (probably will find it after the exam), but the teacher had already read over it and was happy to give me a pass, luckily not being verified either hahahaha.
Original post by BFCBP
Hahaha, want to know what's funny? My entire chemistry daybook + researching chemistry went missing (probably will find it after the exam), but the teacher had already read over it and was happy to give me a pass, luckily not being verified either hahahaha.

Wow hahaha that is lucky! :laugh: So glad we didn't have to do the new highers last year at my school - the assignments look so annoying :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Original post by chopinfan
Wow hahaha that is lucky! :laugh: So glad we didn't have to do the new highers last year at my school - the assignments look so annoying :s-smilie:

Hmmmm, after doing three of them I began to like them, just continually pumping out the same stuff hopefully to get a good make and relieve the pressure on the exam day!!
Original post by BFCBP
I have been doing 3 hours a day and for me that is insane, I usually do an average of 0.

I'm hoping to do medicine as well, where you studying?

Glesga
I have never timed myself
just revise when I feel I need to
(aka two days before the exams, so ~8hrs in total, I could revise all right without sleeping, but I've done it only once or twice, I would not recommend it, very very exhausting afterward)
no need to compare with others
really depends on the subject, ur revision method/how well u plan ur time
good luck
Reply 17
Original post by Junioh
I have never timed myself
just revise when I feel I need to
(aka two days before the exams, so ~8hrs in total, I could revise all right without sleeping, but I've done it only once or twice, I would not recommend it, very very exhausting afterward)
no need to compare with others
really depends on the subject, ur revision method/how well u plan ur time
good luck

All nighters are never a good idea.
Original post by Yammy

They are when you want to bring a D up to an A in a month :P
Original post by Yammy

Nah the sesh never dies man

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply