The Student Room Group

Working full time whilst studying A Levels

I'm really struggling deciding what I want to do at the minute. I'm only 17 and I left school and went straight into a business apprenticeship, I've been there 9 months now and I still HATE it. I've been looking at other things to do as I only have my GCSE's to back me up and the qualification I'll get is a Level 3 NVQ in Business (equivalent to an A Level). Anything I look at that interests me is something that I need A Levels for - so I'm thinking about working and studying A levels on the side (whilst at home, evening study), but when I think about it it seems like a lot of hard work ... I need to work because I need the money, I need to do some A Levels if I want to have a job I enjoy...But I also would love a little bit of a life! Someone advise? Is it possible?
Original post by 123cmaj22
I'm really struggling deciding what I want to do at the minute. I'm only 17 and I left school and went straight into a business apprenticeship, I've been there 9 months now and I still HATE it. I've been looking at other things to do as I only have my GCSE's to back me up and the qualification I'll get is a Level 3 NVQ in Business (equivalent to an A Level). Anything I look at that interests me is something that I need A Levels for - so I'm thinking about working and studying A levels on the side (whilst at home, evening study), but when I think about it it seems like a lot of hard work ... I need to work because I need the money, I need to do some A Levels if I want to have a job I enjoy...But I also would love a little bit of a life! Someone advise? Is it possible?

Where are your parents?
Reply 2
Original post by AhmedMA99
Where are your parents?

My parents are very supportive of any decision I make but I need some advice
My parents are very supportive of any decision I make but I need some advice

Well then, go for a part time job and do your A Levels.

Not a good idea at all.
Why can't get a part time job? At 17, what do you have to pay for ?
Reply 5
Original post by cherryred90s
Not a good idea at all.
Why can't get a part time job? At 17, what do you have to pay for ?

I have a car - which I would have to sell, ideally not but if worst comes to worst. I also have dancing as a hobby, I dance twice a week and I fund that myself. I'm also paying off a lot of debt I have and holidays that are booked and I haven't paid back yet
Reply 6
^^^
Reply 7
Hi , my advice is focus on education and get your A levels. I'm sure you are able to manage without the car for a while , I'm not saying sell it but leave it parked. I have tried a job and A levels and my grades suffered. If you want to do the job you want i would focus now on school as you will reap the rewards. Short term pain and long term gain..what ever you decide wishing you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 8
^^^
Reply 9
^^^^^

Quick Reply

Latest