The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody know the approx grade boundaries?
Yeah, I'm an A grade student in Eng Lang and I feel like I just failed so hard. Q1 was just so annoying, all the points were inference related and honestly, A3 was a little ridiculous to get more than 1/2 points for.
Q2 wasn't that bad really, it's not based on any skill and just on explaining the usage and meaning of phrases and words.
Q3 was equally as annoying really, the bee points were a little hidden but I think I got the majority of them.

Everyone is saying how bad it was it seems, so hopefully we will get lower grade boundaries :P !
Reply 822
Would you lose marks if you signed off question one as yourself? I got so into writing it, I signed off as me. I feel really stupid.
Reply 823
How did you all find it?

The question 2 was hard. Almost no one in my school, understood the last line, haha.
Original post by Leighanna_
Try not to doubt yourself otherwise, you will begin to overthink! U tried your best, that's all that matters & you won't be the only one 😊

yeah good advice. exam is done now so nothing we can do about it
Question 2 caught me off guard very badly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cooldaro
Anyone reckon they'll lower grade boundaries compared to last year? This exam felt much harder than the mocks i did on the may 2015 paper

What were last years grade boundaries for the exam?
Original post by I'm_infires
Yes, both threads are for the same exam because I am on both

Now it's all one thread :bl:

:biggrin:
Guys,
For the second authorial intent could we talk about the general effect being the husband's stubbornness as well as the old, dirty marketplace?
Original post by shilo7
How did you all find it?

The question 2 was hard. Almost no one in my school, understood the last line, haha.

I completely agree! I didn't like question 1 because I prefer to write formally rather than informally...
Original post by I'm_infires
lol I legit wrote that the husband was being such a douche that I wanted to strangle him. why would you marry someone that complains so much he wasn't even giving anything a chance.

Hahahaha I said he was being childlike and comparing him to Al. Omfg I hope the examiner doesn't think I fell in love with the character!!! Honestly though Al was such a bloody sweetheart. My dumb husband was so ignorant hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rajive
Everyone here: "I rally wanted an A* but I will now settle for an A"

Me: As long as I get a B I'll be happy:h:

Never mind a B. I would be happy even if I passed with a C 😊🙏🏼
Original post by JakeAntonyBrown
What did you guys put for the third point on Q1?

I put how she would relax, by going around the garden and playing with the stray cat again and reading her books. And also that she would go into town again but without her husband, and she would actually go into the animal sanctuary.

Did anyone write something similar?
Original post by VelocitySquared2

Who feels like the test was quite hard? I feel so upset because i practiced so much for it and i feel like i failed.
Original post by shilo7
How did you all find it?

what was the last line again
I'm going to leave this thread so I don't complete a "post mortem" of the exam to put it in simpler terms. If anyone wants to talk about it though, feel free to PM me :smile: hope it went well for everyone! You've done the hard bit now, just relax and wait for the next exam.
I missed out a phrase in the writer's effect and for the overall effect I wrote one sentence for each paragraph :/ how many marks will I lose?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Can you let me know if this thread is for the same exam? :eek3: I think there are people talking about it in two different places which isn't the best

Yes both threads are for the Cambridge IGCSE exam which took place today on 3rd May.
Reply 838
I looked at the relevant paragraphs for QS 2 and I was like WTF!
Original post by VelocitySquared2

70/100 for a*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending