The Student Room Group

Dilemma...

Hi guys,

After a bit of advice in a desperate time. I'm currently 22 years old,

- I went to university from school, dropped out towards the end of my second year after realising this wasn't really going to get me anywhere in terms of a job afterwards.

-After leaving thought an apprenticeship would be ideal, which is where I am now. They're currently funding me to do my HNC in civil engineering (not going to pass this year). Been in this job for near 2 years and have learnt next to nothing engineering wise.

- I'm looking for a new job and anything I find remotely interesting (Design in form of graphics, interior etc for example) you either need a degree or a good amount of experience.

- I'd struggle to go back to uni due to funding, and not having great A-level results.

I've considered going away for a bit and travelling, getting a new job that's not a career until I can decide. I feel like I'm getting older and have no direction and am really starting to worry about this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cal505

...dropped out ....
... after realising this wasn't really going to get me anywhere ....
....After leaving I sort of panicked ...
...Without any sort of real thought I got myself an apprenticeship...
... which I have no interest in whatsoever...
.... I've had no civil experience ....
.... feel like this apprenticeship is just a way of cheap labour
.... I'm mostly being used to do admin work ....
....I'm looking for a new job and anything I find remotely interesting ...
... would I be best finding a part time or full time job in something like retail until I'm hundred percent sure what I want to do....

You need to stop hunting for some (almost certainly unobtainable) ideal and get on with sticking with something - unless you drop out and live some very alternative lifestyle, you are running out of options (ie funding opportunities).

There is no '100% perfect' out there, individuals evolve and what seems perfect now quite likely won't in 20 years time. Just get on and do something, develop as a person and gradually work out over time what skills you have and where you can apply them. It's no good knowing better than a construction company does, where the value lies in their apprenticeship - it is what it is, and if it isn't what you want, then you need to work out what you do want. You can't expect society to keep supporting you while you dip in and dip out of 'taster sessions' in life.

So, you don't necessarily have to find a job in retail before you decide what to do next, in fact it is usually more sensible to build experience and maintain an income in your current role while considering/hunting what your next step is. But only you can decide when you move and what you move to and what 'value' that holds for your life.

If I were you, i'd stick with the apprenticeship while looking for something that would be more satisfying, and be prepared to take an intermediate step or even a backwards step if the new course is markedly different from the current one you are on.
Reply 2
It is in the back of my mind to just stick it out until I find something but that's purely for financial reasons. My trouble is I've been there for nearly 2 years now and my day literally consists of being out of the house 12 hours, with my current responsibilities I get what i need done by 9-10 am and then i'm literally just sat in work with nothing to do for the remaining 8 hours.

I'm gaining no experience whatsoever and it is soul destroying literally just being sat in work 10 hours a day with nothing to do but the odd induction.

If i was gaining the experience I would stick it out, but at this rate even if I were to finish the apprenticeship with a HNC I couldn't even go to another employer because I have no experience as an engineer.
Original post by Cal505
It is in the back of my mind to just stick it out until I find something but that's purely for financial reasons. My trouble is I've been there for nearly 2 years now and my day literally consists of being out of the house 12 hours, with my current responsibilities I get what i need done by 9-10 am and then i'm literally just sat in work with nothing to do for the remaining 8 hours.

I'm gaining no experience whatsoever and it is soul destroying literally just being sat in work 10 hours a day with nothing to do but the odd induction.

If i was gaining the experience I would stick it out, but at this rate even if I were to finish the apprenticeship with a HNC I couldn't even go to another employer because I have no experience as an engineer.

You should ask your boss for more work then.
Reply 4
I have, the problem is there is not enough work on site for the site engineer never mind for me as well. But my boss wouldn't let me move site (where I would be gaining experience) because they want someone to take care of the paperwork that nobody else wants to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending