The Student Room Group

Should european women dress modestly to accommodate other cultures?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaconandSauce
No /thread

Lol right there's nowt to discuss is there haha. Simple as.

I hate to come off as a racist. Except in situations like this.
Original post by 0to100
Lol right there's nowt to discuss is there haha. Simple as.

I hate to come off as a racist. Except in situations like this.

It's not racism to object to the idea that women need to dress modestly otherwise they risk being rapped
A Muslim member posted this snarky little remark, which I can't see any more (deleted?): "The European women dress so modestly in summer." Apart from the absolute idiocy of talking about 300 million women as though we all do and say and wear exactly the same things, and the oh-so-boringly-typical sneering contempt and assertion of moral superiority inherent in the comment, there's also the issue that when you live in a part of the world where it's cold and wet far more often than not, and summer only lasts a few weeks, it actually feels really, really good to feel the warm sunshine on your skin for a change rather than being huddled under four layers of clothes and freezing all the time. But of course, that should be easy enough to figure out if you haven't been indoctrinated to think that the morality and virtue of women, but only women, lies solely or mostly in hiding as much of their skin as possible, and feeling that glowing sense of superiority over those nasty slutty women who think that wearing a short skirt and a sleeveless top for the few weeks of the year when it's warm is actually pretty pleasant.
It's not racism to object to the idea that women need to dress modestly otherwise they risk being rapped

That's pathological if you can't resist being sexually deviant unless the female is dressed like a butterfly in a cocoon with unnecessary pieces of clothing. ut you know ppl will call it racist won't they. And they'll report the thread, etc etc
If they're going to leer at a pretty girl they're going to do it regardless of whether she's showing a bit of skin.

Remember that video in Sweden (?) where one refugee was trying to touch a woman's arse and another was repeatedly saying "will you have sex with me?". She was wearing a coat.

They need zero tolerance for this, we all know. But the trouble is implementing it. Ideally anyone guilty of harassment of the slightest form should be deported within a week. But at the same time everyone has the right to a free trial.
Reply 25
Original post by 0to100
Yea I was definitely agreeing with you, I only called it bait because all the [Muslims] posters in the thread commented like you were trolling.

No worries, mate. Of course they will avoid a straight answer or just call posters like me trolls, it's a lot more ''efficient'' than saying ''yes apostates should be executed'' or ''gays should be thrown off buildings'' or '' women who show skin deserve to be raped''. Instead it's just ''islamophobia'' and ''another thread about islam? smh''.
Reply 26
Alternatively, should those who'se itty bitty feelings might get offended stay indoors away from the rest of the society?
Original post by Achaea
A Muslim member posted this snarky little remark, which I can't see any more (deleted?): "The European women dress so modestly in summer." Apart from the absolute idiocy of talking about 300 million women as though we all do and say and wear exactly the same things, and the oh-so-boringly-typical sneering contempt and assertion of moral superiority inherent in the comment, there's also the issue that when you live in a part of the world where it's cold and wet far more often than not, and summer only lasts a few weeks, it actually feels really, really good to feel the warm sunshine on your skin for a change rather than being huddled under four layers of clothes and freezing all the time. But of course, that should be easy enough to figure out if you haven't been indoctrinated to think that the morality and virtue of women, but only women, lies solely or mostly in hiding as much of their skin as possible, and feeling that glowing sense of superiority over those nasty slutty women who think that wearing a short skirt and a sleeveless top for the few weeks of the year when it's warm is actually pretty pleasant.

Yea yea yea exactly. But how westerners dress need not be explained, don't bother. And I saw that pissy comment and was going to quote and then suddenly couldn't right. I think they realised how stupid the comment was? I can't get it when I see women dressed covered head to toe in scorching weather! And then not all Muslim countries demand tis. Now I respect being loyal to your religion and whatever but don't EVER IMPOSE it on other people!
Original post by JC.
Alternatively, should those who'se itty bitty feelings might get offended stay indoors away from the rest of the society?

I wish the **** it they would if they're gonna demand ppl dress a certain way when you look at this same group killing random ppl for supposedly not wanting to take the oppression anymore.

And this is when I don't care about Israel v Palestine. I disagree with both of em.
Original post by Erebor
No worries, mate. Of course they will avoid a straight answer or just call posters like me trolls, it's a lot more ''efficient'' than saying ''yes apostates should be executed'' or ''gays should be thrown off buildings'' or '' women who show skin deserve to be raped''. Instead it's just ''islamophobia'' and ''another thread about islam? smh''.

The hypocrisy and running from slight criticism makes my stomach flip, I swear. Like we can't say anything can we yet they make demands don't they.
Original post by 0to100
Yea yea yea exactly. But how westerners dress need not be explained, don't bother. And I saw that pissy comment and was going to quote and then suddenly couldn't right. I think they realised how stupid the comment was? I can't get it when I see women dressed covered head to toe in scorching weather! And then not all Muslim countries demand tis. Now I respect being loyal to your religion and whatever but don't EVER IMPOSE it on other people!

Yeah, same here.

it always makes me sigh when on one of the rare days when we have scorching hot weather, I see a Muslim man dressed in t-shirt and shorts, with a woman in full black niqab and abaya trailing after him. Sometimes you even see women in really hot weather wearing gloves as well. How the heck can they stand it? Apparently men are allowed to dress appropriately for the conditions but women aren't. The sexism and double standards make me spit.
Original post by Achaea
Yeah, same here.

it always makes me sigh when on one of the rare days when we have scorching hot weather, I see a Muslim man dressed in t-shirt and shorts, with a woman in full black niqab and abaya trailing after him. Sometimes you even see women in really hot weather wearing gloves as well. How the heck can they stand it? Apparently men are allowed to dress appropriately for the conditions but women aren't. The sexism and double standards make me spit.

Exactly double standards and hypocrisy
Its like I won't hold a frigin picket sign saying muslims dress like a, b, c but once they start trying to impose their religion on others ...

But surely you must accept that the reality of non-compliance will result in many young girls and women being attacked, that's where we are at the moment. The question isn't whether you think they should have to, but whether they should.
No.
The simple answer is:

No. Europeans should not have to change the way they live or the way they clothe themselves.

The more complicated answer is: What do you propose to do about it?
If this thread was started as a means of simply belittling an entire community, then well-done. Mission accomplished. If, on the other hand, you see a problem and you want to solve it, just let us know what you think the best answer is and why that is the best answer.
Should Saudi Arabian women stop wearing burqas to accommodate western cultures?
Original post by HanSoloLuck
But surely you must accept that the reality of non-compliance will result in many young girls and women being attacked, that's where we are at the moment. The question isn't whether you think they should have to, but whether they should.

We simply need to take action over this and send a definitive message that this is wrong and it will not be tolerated

But I know you are right I just wish your weren't
Original post by Achaea
Yeah, same here.

I see that too. It must drive them mad. It's bad enough for me if I can't wear shorts, I can't imagine what it would be like wearing a hijab or a full niqab. They must absolutely cook.

It's quite funny to see but it's also sad tbh.
Reply 38
Original post by Erebor
Italy :

Germany :

http://www.thelocal.de/20150626/refugee-school-calls-for-uniform-modesty

''A school in Bavaria has sent a letter home to parents warning them not to let their daughters wear revealing blouses or short skirts, because emergency accommodation for refugees has been set up next to the gym''

Cliffs: men from other cultures can't help themselves if they see a woman showing skin or even curves under tight clothing so if a woman gets harassed/raped/worse it's pretty much her fault since men can't help themselves.

News Flash!

The frequency of white males behaving badly in this category of crime is the same as there are brown males who make the headlines, it's just that the brown men are more memorable, you might unwittingly ignore all the comparative crimes committed by white males and subconsciously demonize the brown men because you're a racist without knowing it. Brown men make only a tiny minority in this country, which means per capita, white men commit these types of crimes against women at a higher rate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
I see that too. It must drive them mad. It's bad enough for me if I can't wear shorts, I can't imagine what it would be like wearing a hijab or a full niqab. They must absolutely cook.

It's quite funny to see but it's also sad tbh.

Lol cook

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending