The Student Room Group

What sort of unis would accept AAAC?

I'm pretty confudent of getting A's in the 3 subjects I enjoy, maths(aiming for as close to 100% as possible), phsyics & economics. But then we have the ugly duckling, geography. Just in case any are confused, these are AS results as I'm only in Year 12.

Apparently I wasn't good enough to take further maths having only got an A in gcse (I did 0 work, literally zilch), so I had to choose geography. I will be dropping it next year and pursuing further maths, but what sort of impact will the C have and will I still be competitive for russle group unis? I want to study maths (I will be attempting STEP next year too).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Calzs34
I'm pretty confudent of getting A's in the 3 subjects I enjoy, maths(aiming for as close to 100% as possible), phsyics & economics. But then we have the ugly duckling, Geography.

Apparently I wasn't good enough to take further maths having only got an A in gcse (I did 0 work, literally zilch), so I had to choose geography. I will be dropping it next year and pursuing further maths, but what sort of impact will the C have and will I still be competitive for russle group unis? I want to study maths (I will be attempting STEP next year too)

THe only thing top universities are interested in for Maths, is maths. A C in a 4th subject would not interest them.

Also, offers are typically only 3 A-levels anyway.
To get into the very top Maths Universities you will need at least A*AA at A level in some cases A*A*A. These grades apply for Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham, Warwick, Bath, Bristol and Exeter plus others. Your C in Geography wont matter. Outside of these most will accept you. There is also a problem in that most of the above prefer students with Further Maths at A level. Step is required for most of the above but nowhere else. With AAA you would likely to get into the likes of Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Kings, Loughborogh, Lancaster and East Anglia amongst others
If you are listening to the above comment, it goes off on a tangent.

You would probably be at a disadvantage by a) not having Further Maths and b) most students may have 4 or 5 AS levels at A or at least AAAB at the top universities.

Manchester is probably better for Maths than Bath, Bristol and Exeter plus others
Original post by TheGrammarGuru

You would probably be at a disadvantage by a) not having Further Maths and b) most students may have 4 or 5 AS levels at A or at least AAAB at the top universities.

Manchester is probably better for Maths than Bath, Bristol and Exeter plus others

no they don't and Manchester certainly isn't better than Bath for Maths. Facts are these are the entry requirements for these universities. Durham for example INSIST on Further Maths unless your school does not provide it. Read up and you might find out the facts for yourself

Incorrect if you don't mind my saying.

If you do want to do maths - further maths may be necessary - but only for the really top unis - but you only need 3 A levels for all the Russell groups. Further Maths is not offered at a lot of schools so pupils would be disadvantaged if it was a requirement for all Maths courses.
Reply 6

I took the OP's comment to be talking about A's at AS not A-level. And it states they *will* be doing FM in Y13.

And, for reference, there is a Cambridge 2016 maths offer-holder with AABD at AS-level. B in Physics, D in Chemistry.

I'll say it again, so long as their maths is good they can get an offer.

Oh, and if you are going to talk about rankings at least check the tables first:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=mathematics
Manchester 23rd, Bath 7th.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-guide-2016-league-table-for-mathematics
Manchester 58th (below MMU), Bath 11th.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by swansea jack 1
no they don't and Manchester certainly isn't better than Bath for Maths. Facts are these are the entry requirements for these universities. Durham for example INSIST on Further Maths unless your school does not provide it. Read up and you might find out the facts for yourself

I did say the OP would be at a disadvantage for not having Further Maths.
Reply 8
I did say the OP would be at a disadvantage for not having Further Maths.

Original post by Calzs34
...I had to choose geography. I will be dropping it next year and pursuing further maths

They will have FM.
Original post by jneill
They will have FM.

Yes, however only at AS level, not really sure how much it'll help, but I can't stand Geography and just want to switch to somthing I will enjoy, in A2 I want to get A*AA (Maths, Econ, Physics) and an A in my further maths AS level.
Reply 10
Original post by Calzs34
Yes, however only at AS level, not really sure how much it'll help, but I can't stand Geography and just want to switch to somthing I will enjoy, in A2 I want to get A*AA (Maths, Econ, Physics) and an A in my further maths AS level.

FM at full A-level is pretty much required* at Cambridge, Imperial and Warwick. Bath and Oxford are ok with FM at AS. Others may be too.

*If your school offers it.

Cambridge: https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/admissionsguide_v2.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
FM at full A-level is pretty much required* at Cambridge, Imperial and Warwick. Bath and Oxford are ok with FM at AS. Others may be too.

*If your school offers it.

Cambridge: https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/admissionsguide_v2.pdf

Well, technically my school offered it. But I asked to do it, they declined saying I did not have an A* in maths, I further wrote an email saying I will put the work in and be able to do it, they still declined and said I have to choose another option (I got an A at gcse). So I had to take Geography, the only other option was to try to self study, but I really wasn't a confident enough mathematician to self study it, I would need some sort of guidance with a teacher etc. (Tutors aren't affordable).

Do you think they would take that as an excuse? I could potentially try to do the whole A level starting from the end of my AS exams, or would that be uneccesary? I mean I want to get into a russel group, but I just don't want to be disadvantaged from the lack of FM A level.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Calzs34
Well, technically my school offered it. But I asked to do it, they declined saying I did not have an A* in maths, I further wrote an email saying I will put the work in and be able to do it, they still declined and said I have to choose another option (I got an A at gcse). So I had to take Geography, the only other option was to try to self study, but I really wasn't a confident enough mathematician to self study it, I would need some sort of guidance with a teacher etc. (Tutors aren't affordable).

Do you think they would take that as an excuse? I could potentially try to do the whole A level starting from the end of my AS exams, or would that be uneccesary? I mean I want to get into a russel group, but I just don't want to be disadvantaged from the lack of FM A level.

Yes Cambridge will take note. You can explain the circumstances on the SAQ, Cambridge's Supplementary Application Questionnaire.

Just to add: I suggest you ask in this Cambridge thread, explaining your circumstances.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4057087
Ask the Admissions Team - 2017 entry

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Calzs34

I attended an open day at Durham. a guy said he was not taking Further Maths asked if it would be worth him applying. He was told point blank if your school offers it and you have not taken it don't waste your time applying her because you wont get in. There are only a few unis who require it but you will either be rejected or given a higher offer by those. These include Imperial, Durham, Cambridge and Warwick. Bath also make a higher offer. You will be at a major disadvantage if you do not have Further Maths A level at these and a couple of others. Most RG universities do not require A level Further Maths

Quick Reply